Thoughts please on LPG filters. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had the hab service done today and the fitter advised having Truma gas filters fitted.
He wasn't after hiking up the bill as they don't carry them in stock but was just advising.
We had to have an expensive Truma regulator replaced once before because there was oil partly blocking it so I had thought about fitting filters, then done no more about it. We rarely use EHU so get through quite a lot of LPG in our Gaslow cylinders.
What is the general advice from you techie types?

Richard.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We've also had to replace a regulator on our last motorhome due a to blockage by oil deposits. Gaslow also do there own inline filter.

Pete

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have fitted one to protect the regulator but honestly can’t say whether it has been necessary. There is very little fall back between my regulator and the 14kg Alugas cylinder, so I decided that relying on gravity to carry any condensate in the pipe back to the cylinder was risky. My thinking is that the filter element itself is less important than the trap formed by the bowl beneath it and that this should intercept any condensate going the wrong way up the pipe.
I have heard that the problem is less common now that Truma is using different materials for the diaphram. So far as I know they have never admitted to this being part of the problem and might claim that any improved performance is due to the fitting advice to have a good fall back between regulator and cylinder.
I am no expert on this and others no doubt have greater experience than I do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I don’t know,but if your man is saying get it done,then get it done,assuming you trust the geezer. And if you don’t trust him,why go there in the first place? Presumably he gave a reason.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I don’t know,but if your man is saying get it done,then get it done,assuming you trust the geezer. And if you don’t trust him,why go there in the first place? Presumably he gave a reason.
Thanks @Podney.
He is just one of several fitters at the supplying dealers service dept.
Although he appears to do a good job when he has sorted problems in the past his advice is not always 100% kosher IMHO.
Hence the request here where we have some very knowledgable and clever people.

Richard.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I fitted a couple to my van on the basis that I get my LPG from all sorts of dubious places. It also happened to provide a bit more flexibility to the way I route the hoses.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Van living fulltime and using LPG for decades.

Originally Calor but for the last few years, Gas Low refillables.

Use gas for fridge, cooker, hot water and heater.

Never had any trouble with gas regulators ever.

Didn't even know there were such things as gas filters.

Just lucky I guess.

JJ :cool:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a regulator that is fixed to the top of the gas locker so all pipes fall away from it so should not get any residue so haven’t bothered.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks @Podney.
He is just one of several fitters at the supplying dealers service dept.
Although he appears to do a good job when he has sorted problems in the past his advice is not always 100% kosher IMHO.
Hence the request here where we have some very knowledgable and clever people.

Richard.
Yes,perhaps my reply was a tad hasty! :rolleyes: Blame it on the weather,or the fact that I’ve been been shopping with Er indoors. I have to admit that I don’t recall reading about problems caused by lack of filters,and haven’t looked.....but why do they make them......perhaps more problems now with gas impurities/gunge,than in the past.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Years ago we did have a regulator block on us when in IOM. Took it to the then Brownhills under warranty and they changed it FOC but advised stainless steel hoses as calor gas makes the rubber hoses perish, so we had them fitted. It saved us having to fit them 12 months later when we changed to Gaslow (other makes available). Although I did buy a spare regulator at the time (about £35.00 then), I've never had a problem since but still got the regulator just in case.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Gaslow R67 refillable bottle outlet valve has a built in filter to prevent impurities in the gas damaging the regulator.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I've never had a regulator problem, it was changed due to recommended age at the last service - using the spare I've carried for ages. We've got Gaslow refillables (pre R67) and I fitted an inline filter last year just before we went to Morocco, purely because the LPG over there can be somewhat mucky (I've got an adapter to plug in a small Moroccan bottle in an emergency). The filter was clear at the service so I'm not convinced they're really needed.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@JJ, you might have just saved me the best part of £150 + the daft cost of replacement filters.

Thank you kind Sir. (y):D:D

Richard.
Do bear in mind that Noah sold JJ his van and claimed he was the first owner since new! :p
Seriously, I was dubious about filters until we bought our Hymer which had an Alugas system and a filter from new. When I checked the filter after I bought it. It had about an egg cup full of an oily substance in it. Whether this would have damaged the regulator I don't know but it has put doubt in my mind. I now use a GasIt filter behind the fill adaptor as well to avoid problems with the non return valve in the fill connections.
Necessary? Don't know but finding that oil in the filter has put doubt in my mind so prevention is better than cure. The inlet filter is a tenner so no big deal. The other one is mega bucks so a bit mor thought required.
Steve

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
R67’s don’t have a filter to protect the non return valves in filler or in tank, having messed mine up with dirty gas from a local cylinder connection now use a inline filter for filing ( gas it product) stops impurities entering bottle and I presume hence messing with regulator. Sort of stoppping the problem occurring as opposed to dealing with it?!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
have to say , in three years of owning the Gaslow R67 bottles, countless fillings, both here and abroad, have never had any problems with check valves or gunge in regulator.. not saying it can't happen.

Gasit filll point filter

http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-direct-gas-in-filters-d-g-i.html

information on both liquid and vapour filters and what they do

http://www.gasit.co.uk/support/knowledgebase.php?article=5

contamination from a dirty filler gun could possibly be prevented by checking nozzle before using ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back