Thoughts on these routes please (1 Viewer)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Heading towards Portugal soon. Looking at two ways from Spain.
Route one....from Caceres down E803 to Seville then E01/A49 to Albufeira
Route two....from Caceres to Badajoz to Evora via toll E90
Now when I get to Evora do I stay on toll E01 all the way to Albufeira or do I take the E802 and join it further down.
Your thoughts and comments on these routes please, which have you done and good or bad. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You may find the link I have put in the Resources section useful. Toll and Non Toll routes for Spain.

Safe Travels
Thanks for that, what I really wanted to know was what the scenery was like, mountain roads places to see places to stop etc. Sorry should have made it clear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camperstop messines

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Sao Bartolomeu de Messines
Funster No
MH
Sold it, not happy
Exp
Since 2008
We used to take this route: from Caceres take the EX100 to Badajoz. nice scenic route through rural Spain with occasional hills. Then take the toll road to Evora. If a stopover is wanted, either stay in Evora, or visit "Camping Alentejo" in Evoramonte. From Evora take IP2/E802 to Beja & Castro Verde. Nice municipal campsite in Castro Verde. From there take the IC1, a toll free road that follows the same route as the tollroad A2/IP1. Best way to see the ondulating Alentejan landscape. If you like an even more scenic route you could take the N2 from Castro Verde to Almodovar, Almeixal, then EN124 at Baranco Velho and take the IC1 from SB Messines to Albufeira. This last route will lead you through the "mountain" range that separates the Alentejo from the Algarve.

I would only follow the Ruta de la Plata to Seville if you want to, well, just drive without thinking, or want to visit beautiful Seville. Downside is that when entering Portugal you either have to take the toll road to Albufeira, or the horrible En125.

Hope you´ll enjoy the trip!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you want to scenery and the real Portugal stay off the toll roads. We did not go on a single one when we were there in the spring. The roads are in reality no worse than many of the roads we have in the UK. Here is the route we took, which is different to the ones you set out. We were aiming to get to the Algarve eventually but wanted some scenery and interesting places on the way.

We got to Caceres at lunch time intent on the staying the night in the Aire there. By then it was packed full and motorhomes were parking in the bus bays. So we took the N521 heading West towards the border. Perfectly good road for a motorhome. Crossed into Portugal and stopped at the Aire at Marvao. Fabulous view out of the windscreen and a nice walk into a pretty little fortified hill village.

Leave late the next morning (no rush) and a meander South to Elvas on the IC13, 246 and 373. Lovely little walled city and a UNESCO heritage site. Stop at the large car park just outside of the walled city. You won't miss it because it has a huge old aqueduct along one side. Walk into town and just soak it all up - the Tourist Office will give you some great info on what to see and do. Stay the night on the car park and in the morning pick up water and dump waste at the local Intermarche, which has a free motorhome service point. If you don't fancy that then stay the night at the official free Aire in the village of Terrugem about 5 miles from the City.

From there head South again on the 373 and 255 to Reguengos, then East to Monsaraz, another fortified hill village. The view from the Aire there is breathtaking, the best I have ever seen. Get there by lunch time or just after because it gets full. And another reason for that is you can wander into the village and have a nice lunch at one of the restaurants. This Aire has no water or dump so arrive full and empty.

The next morning was Easter Saturday so, after a phone call, we headed for Pedro's near Albuferia. Lots of funsters use it and it is one of the most unusual campsites I have been too. Basically you are treated like one of the family. Nowt but scenery around it, but Pedro will let you borrow his car if you want to go somewhere. And all for 7.50 Euros per night including electricity. The next day we had a fantastic traditional Portuguese Easter feast. All the food and drink you could want for 15 Euros each. Could not do much else that day!

Stayed at Pedro's for 3 nights and then off we went and had a look at the Algarve for a couple more weeks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back