Thoughts on size and layout? (1 Viewer)

Andyrpm

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi all, we are looking to buy our first motorhome and was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on size and layout. We are a couple in our 50's and will be travelling the UK and Europe for 3-6 weeks at a time with our two cocker spaniels. We've done European road trips in the car using hotels so envisage mostly staying between one and three nights in both scenic places and some cities centres mostly on sites but with a bit of wild camping here and there. We're thinking of something like an Adria Twin or Tribute type van but the problem is size and layout. We'd rather a 5 metre van as it would fit comfortably on our drive and be easier to park and move around etc but would happily go for the 6 metre if opinion on here was overriding. Also, with the 6 metre we could go for a fix bed at the rear which sounds better as you don't have to assemble the bed every night although, I've heard some people prefer this as it gives more space during daytime running. Anybody love their 5 metre van and don't mind putting the bed up overnight or have you done that and moved up to a bigger van with a fix bed?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I wouldn't let the fixed / non fixed bed dilemma override all other things, we can assemble our rear u shaped lounge into bed mode in 5 minutes flat, bear in mind that sleeping needs to be as comfortable as possible.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Everybody has their own opinion, and their own way of doing things. The only thing everybody will agree to is GET THE LAYOUT RIGHT".

After that, the size will depend on where you're going to store it when not in use - don't worry about driving a large vehicle, you soon get used to it.

There are lots of posts on here on choice of vans, seems a new thread starts every couple of days. Your best bet is to visit as many dealers, the larger the better, to view the various layouts (there are around 28 basic layouts with manufacturer variations on them - see any issue of Practical Motorhome). Imagine yourselves cooking a meal, using the shower, lounging when it's pouring with rain, room for the dogs (are they energetic?). Don't know where you live but try visiting a couple of shows - there is a Funster presence, usually a stall, at all the big shows so make yourselves known and get some opinions. But please don't let your heart rule your head and buy the first one you like!

There is a great publication for members to download - see "Resources" above - dark blue bar.

Oh yes and w2f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
w2f........ As above, we are all different, so try to get in to as many layouts as possible.

I've recently downsized to a 6.34m conversion with a fixed bed, but there's just me and my Labrador to consider at the moment.

When there were two of us, we would not have managed with the layout or space in this van, but others manage perfectly well.

Good luck with your search.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Whatever you buy, and however much effort you put into it, the layout will not be the one you really want. You need to live in at least one van before you have a real appreciation for your ideal layout.

My choice and the reasons for it: we have a small (6M & a bit) A class. We like A class vans for the panoramic view when driving, the use of cab seats as part of the lounge, and the drop-down bed. Our particular van (Hymer B584) has a lounge layout that suits us with a bench seat on the off-side and a wall mounted table on the nearside. I converted the table to fold down so increasing floor space at night. The table has a belted, cab style seat behind it and the swivelled passenger seat opposite so we can sit opposite each other when eating, playing with computers, conversing, or playing games. Towards the rear are the wardrobe, bathroom (corner), and cooker. At the rear is the kitchen and bathroom (corner). Habitation access is near the rear. We did not want a fixed bed which limited our choice of vehicle somewhat. Our reason for this is that, particularly in a smallish van, the rest of the facilities are compromised by the space needed for the bed. The bathroom and lounge in particular lose length to accommodate a fixed bed. And the drop-down bed is left ready made anyway. We love the van but it has shortcomings that will cause us to change: there is very little storage inside, no large external lockers, the kitchen lacks work surface, the toilet area is less roomy than we'd prefer. We will go for a similar layout in a vehicle up to 7M in length.

We have three dogs and we have plenty of front yard space to park any length of van.

Over the years we've had four caravans followed by three MHs - you would think we'd know what we want. TBH we do know - it's simply that any MH is a compromise and determining which missing features annoy you least is as important as knowing which features are a 'must have'.

Your choices will be entirely different :):).

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We managed for 8 years with a 5 m van but when the bed was made up, there was no standing or sitting room left over.
We loved how easy it was to use as a second vehicle around Bristol.
It's great when overseas in warm evening sitting out temperatures, however the sticking point was using it in UK and needing to spend more time inside.
We like to lounge about and in the evening watch a bit of TV and if weather inclement still be comfortable to do that.

Like you, drive a problem but we had the gateway extended, knocked down a bit of front wall and had a tree taken out to fit in new 6.3 m PVC.
We really like the extra space and although we have a rear u lounge which we have to convert to two singles at night, we are used to that from our time with previous van. As others say only takes a minute to layout bedding roll and convert cushions to pillows.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Having had a few van conversions including the Adria Twin, I'd suggest hiring one for a few days before making any decisions. With two of us and our dog, we found the Adria quite cramped to use.

Our current van (same 6m size) has a rear u-shaped lounge that makes a huge bed. We find it better, but it's all about what works for you.

As a side note, Vantage make some lovely conversions IMO so probably worth a look. They do shorter lengths as well:
https://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/home

Also the show at the NEC in October is great for seeing lots of different models in a day.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I wouldn't let the fixed / non fixed bed dilemma override all other things, we can assemble our rear u shaped lounge into bed mode in 5 minutes flat, bear in mind that sleeping needs to be as comfortable as possible.

I'm the opposite opinion.
Fixed bed a must along with separate shower and toilet.
Everything after that can be a compromise.

It's different strokes for different folks :) ya pays ya money and makes ya choice (y)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
For us, one of the 'must haves' was a fixed bed over a big garage, another of our must haves!!!
We have made beds up in the past and just find it a pain, plus you need to stash all the bedding when bed is not made up.
Using the drop-down bed over the cab gives you the 'fixed bed' but not the VERY useful garage.
We are all different so you will just have to read what everyone says and decide for yourself what will suit you best!!!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

It's different strokes for different folks :) ya pays ya money and makes ya choice (y)

We couldn't find a Moho with a 6'10'' wide x 6' 0'' long fixed bed that our u shaped lounge converts into - hence our choice (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a 7.5m A class so probably can't help much from personal experience. But we have always thought that you really need to be very organised and tidy to survive for long in a small PVC. My wife tells me that I am neither so we cannot have a smaller van!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We couldn't find a Moho with a 6'10'' wide x 6' 0'' long fixed bed that our u shaped lounge converts into - hence our choice (y)
Ditto for us but we require longer than 6 ft bed, ours is 6'6 in.
Having a large garage is only of use if you have the spare payload to make use of it. We are on 3500 limit and don't want to uprate because of licence so no point in having a big garage.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
It very much depends on personal circumstances. We have disabilities to consider and wheelchair storage, so for us our 'A' Rapido suits us perfectly. One fixed bed at the rear over the garage, but no steps, and a drop down bed at the front. The wheelchair is stored in the garage and a therapy stool is used internally. We have a comfortable seating area at the front, the fixed bed is available for afternoon naps and the storage is first class.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have a 5 m Autosleeper which has two decent single beds which make up so easily,,excellent kitchen with full cooker,,sink and drainboard,,Roomy lounge with two six foot sofas,,small shower/toilet...I have added two storage boxes on the rear plus bikes and we love it..3 month trips to Europe no problem at all...Have had fixed bed 7.5 m van but this is to us the perfect van,,,BUSBY,, £

Dunc

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 625
Exp
Fairly New

As Silver-Fox, we had to have a fixed bed and a dedicated shower. We also wanted 4 travelling seats with an option of another bed which we have in a double drop down above the lounge area. We have compromised a little with seating as it is a typical european layout but removing the large hydraulic table and installed a smaller removable one has opened up the space more.

OP
OP
A

Andyrpm

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Funster No
Thank you one and all for your input. I think we'll head out for some shows to see whats on offer although as we're after a second hand van 5 or 6 years old we maybe looking at things we can't have unfortunately. :-( Btw Wissel, I think those new Vantage vans you suggested would suit us perfectly at 5.5 metres with a large rear bed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back