Thoughts on a new campsite in the Algarve (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
A plot of land that might have room for 100 plus pitches is for sale in the Algarve Portugal. The site is next to a supermarket and enjoys views of the hills, it’s probably a 15-20 minute walk into town and beach, although there are pavements and buses. My brother who has a Motorhome and lives part of the year in the Algarve is considering the above, being reasonably close to the sea this land is not cheap so site fees are not going to be bargain basement. We continually read about “rip off” sites but if a quality secure campsite was built with all the facilities including perhaps a bistro bar, would that interest visitors in their motorhomes ?
In Alvor yesterday the big aire on waste ground was perhaps half full with paying customers whilst the surrounding area where we are not supposed to park was rammed with “FLT”s so is this idea a non starter ?
Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We stayed on the beach site in alvor because it was close to everything and if memory serves me right it was only eight euros a night including waste and fresh water facilities,so depends how much is reasonable but for us it’s more the location than the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would check out all the hoops he would have to jump through and all the pit falls he would have to jump over with the local council before even thinking about it...

I reckon the first thing needed would be to find a trusted, loyal, local lawyer.

After that it would be a case of location, location, location and, of course, being able to take the strain before any profits appear.

And take into account it would be fairly seasonal income... not many vans around in summer.

If I had the money to finance such a project I wouldn't bother... I would just slob around and spend it on myself slowly... rather like I am doing now...:rofl:

JJ :cool:

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I would check out all the hoops he would have to jump through and all the pit falls he would have to jump over with the local council before even thinking about it...

I reckon the first thing needed would be to find a trusted, loyal, local lawyer.

After that it would be a case of location, location, location and, of course, being able to take the strain before any profits appear.

Don’t know if it’s true, but I have heard it said that it can take several years to get the required permissions agreed for a campsite in Portugal. So, if this is true, it could be a very considerable time before getting any returns.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Don’t know if it’s true, but I have heard it said that it can take several years to get the required permissions agreed for a campsite in Portugal. So, if this is true, it could be a very considerable time before getting any returns.
You can understand why they restrict it if there is loads of unoccupied buildings not being used, they would want to steer people to them and get taxes etc from them.

Reactions: f6c

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have a friend who lives in Portugal, been there many years so knows the ropes. More than a couple of years ago he bought a plot of land that had lots of olive trees but was in a great spot for an accommodation centre for a proposed scientific research facility. He was assured "planning" would be forthcoming.

He now makes quite a lot selling his olives!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
would that interest visitors in their motorhomes ?

Including caravans or just a 'camper stop' ?

If also caravans, yes.

When looking for a site for us it's, pitch size, facilities, location and price in that order

Pitch ..
A small cramped pitch is no good, so good sized, and preferably with some shade, either trees or man made.

Facilities,
'All in price' no extra charges for showers or any other facility.. , which should be modern and well maintained.. ie kept clean , with good washing up basins, and laundry room.
Electric hook-up also desirable.

Location..
within walking or cycling distance of a reasonable sized town or village.. ideally on or near the coast.. but not essential

Price.
Difficult one, but if it's a really good site in an excellent location.. we pay whatever it costs.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
If you build it, they will come! :D

In my experience of this site, its more likely that they will come, and park on the road outside , and try and use stuff for free.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years

And take into account it would be fairly seasonal income... not many vans around in summer.

If I had the money to finance such a project I wouldn't bother... I would just slob around and spend it on myself slowly... rather like I am doing now...:rofl:

" Not many vans around in summer" that supprised me, when would you say the businesses times are for Motorhome's in Portugal.
Thanks

Charlie

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
" Not many vans around in summer" that suprised me, when would you say the businesses times are for Motorhome's in Portugal.
Thanks

Charlie

Christmas time through to March/April.

The French, Germans, Dutch and Brits come down to the Algarve in their motorhomes at that time to escape the cold weather up north. They return home when it warms up up there.

The Algarve gets very hot in Summer especially if you are not right by the sea...

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We’ll come, we’re on our way down there. Will it be open by Christmas?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

If also caravans, yes.
When looking for a site for us it's, pitch size, facilities, location and price in that order
Pitch ..
A small cramped pitch is no good, so good sized, and preferably with some shade, either trees or man made.
Facilities,
'All in price' no extra charges for showers or any other facility.. , which should be modern and well maintained.. ie kept clean , with good washing up basins, and laundry room.
Electric hook-up also desirable.
Location..
within walking or cycling distance of a reasonable sized town or village.. ideally on or near the coast.. but not essential
Price.
Difficult one, but if it's a really good site in an excellent location.. we pay whatever it costs.

Agree with Jim on this

Keep pricing simple on some sites you find pricing that would confuse Aristotle

You will find some people who ONLY prefer sites especially secure ones and if there's a bar and pool you've cracked it

There will always be those who would rather not pay (Stephanie is one) but if there isn't many sites around then they will come and will pay

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I love Portugal and it’s people,but I wouldn’t set up a business there for all the port in Oporto. Bureaucracy gone mad!

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I love Portugal and it’s people,but I wouldn’t set up a business there for all the port in Oporto. Bureaucracy gone mad!
Agreed, unless you are Portuguese but even they have issues. Could hook up with a Portuguese bar owner and let them help sort the statutory relationships out but a solicitor early doors essential. Lots of pessimists about, don't let them put your friend off as we also love Portugal and the Portuguese.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I think as time goes on there will be a need for more campsites because spanish and Portuguese are getting fed up with peaple just parking up anywhere they want. In certain areas they are already moving them on. When they have no where to go they will have to use the campsites.

OP
OP
Crazylegs
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years

If also caravans, yes.
Sorry my mistake, naturally all types of wobbly boxes would be catered for and welcome. Looking at Micki’s place I think you need to have some super large pitches for our friends in big RV’s as well.

OP
OP
Crazylegs
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
In my experience of this site, its more likely that they will come, and park on the road outside , and try and use stuff for free.
I hear you, but last winter we couldn’t get on a number of sites we had pre selected as they were full. So if you get the basics right I think this venture might work.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I hear you, but last winter we couldn’t get on a number of sites we had pre selected as they were full. So if you get the basics right I think this venture might work.

I would want more than a might..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back