LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Contemplating one of these Boardman Hybrid bikes to put the van garage for a bit of touring/utility use when away. Seems to be a pretty good price point (20% off when trading in old bike) to specification and weight (10.4kg) ratio?

However, I would be interested in thoughts/comments from those in the know given I’m not really what you would call a keen cyclist.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looks like a nice bike, Good weight for the van. I'm always using my bike for shopping and in all weathers so I'd get them to fit some mud catchers (y)

Deleted User
I have the 8.9 so some differences, great bike though. I have 1*11 SRAM gears but otherwise very similar. Unfortunately the bottom bracket bearings failed while I was in Spain so that cost me £30 to replace and sometimes the brakes trap seeds or grit so can be a tad fussy. I find it light and manoeuvrable and I've fitted lightweight mudguards and a rack for shopping. I also have an ageing Trek hybrid and this Boardman has slightly different geometry. Overall I like it and it feels like it wants to go faster..... odd but true.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
my other half has one, very good for what we use it for, road and tracks in France and spain. For the money, not much better around.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The bike may be a good bike but if buying from Halfords, check the set up and check it again. They are notoriously bad at setting up bikes. I have seen bikes with forks on backwards, cross threaded cranks and all sorts.

Have you checked what your local bike shop sells, they may be able to do you a better deal on a different make. We got a cracking deal from C2 bikes in Cambridge earlier this year, the discount given was far more than the same bike from a chain store. The independent bike shops know their margins and don't have to refer to head office to offer discount.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Althought Boardman's are really a Halfords own brand they do produce some reasonable bikes. SIL has a carbon road bike weights about 7kg he uses it for trialthalons.
Don't believe the reviews a few years ago Halfords produced a road bike under their Carrara brand got slated in the mag reviews they rebranded it Boardman and it got rave reviews.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
It gets good reviews , Boardman at Halfords aren’t as good value as they once were but still worth a look.

We are with Armytwowheels its a good time to go into local bike shops as it’s a quiet time and 2020 bikes are coming out so 2019 models will be discounted . Chris was in our local one yesterday and they had lots of stock to sell.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I owned a Boardman 2005 hybrid team.
That range are well spec’d for the price.
But being Halfords I tried one ride & had to take take it back to have them finish assembling the rear cassette - it was left loose.
But after that early issue it was a good bike.

I only sold it because I also own a mountain bike and added a road bike. The hybrid wasn’t being used.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
If your good with bike maintenance and trust your local Halfords to put it together correctly and give you a free 6 month bike check it’s probably ok.
You maybe better off going to your local bike shop,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back