Thoughts about kindle e-reader ? (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Yes its OK ,but at £99 the paperwhite a lot better.. backlight so can read in the dark, better screen etc... it all depends on how much you use one. the new model is better still the kindle voyage? but far to expensive!

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
We have the basic one, not touchscreen,have to press button to turn page. I find that easier with no page turning when accidently touching screen, which I do frequently when using kindle app on my phone.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also have the basic one, i.e. not touch screen and it is great as a reader. You can always buy a case that has a built in light for night us rather than a clip on reading light, however these cases are a bit expensive.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes basic one for me, battery lasts for ever and much better for reading in sunlight as no glare as with an iPad, ask Angela :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I had early paperwhite but it was problematic so sent back. If you get on msde sure it's latest model! Happy enough with old one and like others mention I use a clip on battery light....will get new one if price drops as I read a lot....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just a quick note. The backlight ones have a high level of blue light in them. This affects sleep patterns. Much better to have a none backlit one and use a reading light that has low blue spectrum.

I disagree with that research. I have a back-lit one and I guarantee that I'm asleep within ten minutes of opening it :)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
My wife started with an early Kindle a few years ago. She was bought a Kindle Fire last Christmas and gave her original to me. She is now wishing she kept it as hers is useless in sunlight whereas I can read mine with no problems.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've got a Paperwhite, I bought it after lots of my mates had sung it's praises. I wasn't sure that I'd get on with it.

I do and I love it. I bought one for my wife in October and we bought one for her Mum for Christmas.

I have already saved the amount of the unit on the books I have downloaded.

I too find it soporific and have drop tested it many times lol

I did initially try the App on my iPad, bu even using the Air it was way to heavy to lay in bed reading, resulting in it landing on my wife one side or the dogs on the floor the other when I nooded off lol

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If all you want to do is read book then Touch is ideal. One tip though: Buy it from Amazon not eBay. It's the same price and it will come set up for you then. Haven't used the Paperwhite so can't comment on that.
@Baycott I use my Fire in bright sunlight with no problems. Make sure it is set for auto brightness and it should be fine.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
@Baycott I use my Fire in bright sunlight with no problems. Make sure it is set for auto brightness and it should be fine.
Just had a look at Jan's Fire and I can only adjust the brightness from low to high. Can't see an auto setting. Ita a 3 rd generation, don't know if that makes a difference??

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just had a look at Jan's Fire and I can only adjust the brightness from low to high. Can't see an auto setting. Ita a 3 rd generation, don't know if that makes a difference??

On mine below the low to high slider there is an option for automatic on or off. If you switch it on the slider disappears. Mine's a Fire HD which I think is the 2nd gen one. I've just had a quick look on Google and it should be there on yours.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I love reading and I enjoy books so was reluctant to embrace technology, however I bought a paperwhite 3 years ago and haven't looked back, it's backlight means I can read anywhere and at night it doesn't disturb Martin.
It's so great for the van, 100's of books take up no space!

If you read at night or in the dark then go paperwhite.
The only person I know who hasn't got on with one is my Grandmother, at 93 she just can't cope with touch screen technology.

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
I've had the basic Kindle for years and think it's great. The Mrs was a die hard paperback reader but last year when it came to travelling for 6 weeks with the thought of buying and packing 20+ books she relented and bought an old model Kindle that was being sold off cheap and hasn't bought a paperback since and the battery life lasts for ages. A clip on light makes it very easy to read in the dark.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I have an older type. It's great to cart a whole library around with you. I read proper books still too. Certainly when reading in bed, it's much easier. Having said that I am currently reading a really heavy large book. Lovely story. But boy is it heavy. Now if it was on my kindle........

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Thanks everyone.
I read a lot, usualy before I sleep. Will look at the paperlight too before I decide.
Have the app on I pad but find eye strain a problem with prolonged use.

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
l loved my original kindle...then friends slob fat cat lay on my bag and killed it.
l niw use my phone to read while l choose what kindle to buy.

l looked at paperwhite but they do not have an ability to make collections so not getting one. The thought of paging through 1000 of books with no easy structure to find what l want..no thanks.

Also they seem to lack voice ability not used often but have used it.

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
Don't think anyone has mentioned the following yet. I replaced my original after it started showing black lines across the screen, Amazon said I had dropped it (yes) and was totally unfixable, offered minimal discount on a paperwhite but I did replace it. Couldn't get on with the paperwhite - kept turning pages forward or back when I didn't want to!! Really curtailed my reading so bought a new screen on ebay and replaced the duff one myself. Really chuffed when it worked and now back to reading at the rate I was. Boy do I waffle - sorry.
Pat

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Another vote for the Paperwhite. I've had mine for over 2yrs (used daily) and not had any problems with it. I love it! :)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I use a paper white. Great piece of kit, as is the whole Kindle offering, it's easy to use,great on batteries, massive range of books, it is the only one to go for. I also like the ability it has to cover all your devices, so sometimes I read the Kindle sometimes my I pad and sometimes my I phone. It syncs the book across all platforms so you are never searching for where you are. I would be very worried if I was in the old style book trade, they just can't compete.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I disagree with that research. I have a back-lit one and I guarantee that I'm asleep within ten minutes of opening it :)

You and many but I would support any suggestion about avoiding blue white lights at bedtime - many studies have shown that it affects sleep patterns. I find that using my iPad at night wakes me up (irrespective of what I am reading) and I find it difficult to get a good night's sleep after. I use an app for my phone and PC to change the light intensity & colour during the day and evening but can't find the same kind of app for my iPad.

On a similar note, I have replaced the original internal lights in our van with warm light LEDs as the white ones are too stark, bright and blue for me.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I got Ginny a Paperwhite for Christmas and she loves it, her first read was Pride and Prejudice which she read in it's entirety without the need of a charge. Well impressed.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Kindle e-ink monochrome models, one of the finest ever electronic designs, it does what it sets out to do perfectly.

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back