Thought s on jacking van up (1 Viewer)

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Hi I am just waiting to go into hospital for a heart opp so I was wondering whether to jack the motor home up on block as I will not be able to use it for a while at least 3 or 4 months what are your thoughts on this idea.
thanks
Nev

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
It would give them more room to slide under to nick your 'CAT'.

..........Don't really see the point, surely a neighbour could change it's position every so often, if you are concerned about UV degradation on the tyres.

Best of luck with the OP
:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I visited the Swedish Army once to see how they put vehicles into long term storage. The Swedes have quite a small army but a lot of reservists whose kit is in controlled humidity storage. Some of the vehicles sit in these stores (many hidden in the forests) for years without ever moving. We asked them if the tyres got flat spots and was this a problem. The answer was "Yes, they get flat spots but after a short distance driving down the road the tyres become round again"!

I wouldn't worry about the tyres assuming they are correctly inflated but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to move the vehicle a few yards once you have recovered from your op in a few weeks. The quacks will want you on your feet quickly. No lying around in bed for months these days.

And all the best for the op and a speedy recovery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Could you ask a friend or relative to take it for a spin occasionally or maybe a motorhome club member. It's a bit drastic having to put it up on blocks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i understand the concern, but many thousands of vehicles including motorhomes get parked for the winter months. obviously if your worried get somebody to move the van occasionally. otherwise i wouldnt bother putting it on blocks

good luck with the op

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
My van has been immobile since sept and sat on the drive due to mech probs and my health probs. I have just got her moving on friday and there seems to be no probs with the tyres. She will be immobile again soon as I also have another heart op soon, but depending on the severity of the op you may not drive for 1 week up to 6 weeks after the op as I have found out over the last 5 years.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There are advantages to putting your van on blocks/axle stands, not least of which is it makes it harder to steal but I have to wonder at the thought of jacking a (presumably 3.5 tonne) motorhome up onto blocks when you're waiting for a heart op? My advice, for what its worth, would be if its on level ground and you have someone else who can do the job for you then go for it, if not then don't bother, just make sure it is as secure as you can reasonably make it.

D.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

if you r concerned about your tyres put them on tyre-saver,s a lot of vintage, are stored this way ,have used them before but dont bother now easier to move van now and then

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Could you ask a friend or relative to take it for a spin occasionally or maybe a motorhome club member. It's a bit drastic having to put it up on blocks.

I'm in Whitstable if you need any help with the van?
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back