Thought about Scotland independance (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
May be it's a generation thing. I have many Scots as mates and long term friends, so far I haven't heard one of them wish to vote Yes, so how come it's so close.

Because it is much easier to say "yes" than "no" when asked no matter what you really think. I was asked twice on Princes Street on Tuesday. the first pollster was very near to the "Yes" campaigns stand and I didn't have a lot of time, there was a "Yes" guy listening in and I just said "Yes" and walked on. When I got to the next pollster (by the "No" campaign stand) I said I'd already done my postal vote, it was "No" and again walked on.

I am British. I have Scots, Welsh, English and Irish ancestors. My genetic markers show Celtic / Norse roots. Guess which way I voted? :D

And thanks for the good wishes - we will be glad to get on the plane, especially as we have been upgraded to st class on the first leg of the journey. Never flown first before so am REALLY looking forward to the experience.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Here's a good one.... we did a postal vote and I put my slip in the envelope, held it up to the light and realised it was certainly not private as the envelope was see through. I folded the slip over a couple of times to hide my vote.

No sure if that will affect the vote but we will see.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I just read a very thought provoking article (lots of ifs) which is far fetched but still made me think....

If there is a yes vote and if Scotland end up in a financial mire who will bale them out?

Not England
Not the EU

so could it be possible that Scotland become dependent on the US and adopt the US$? Oil revenues are in dollars and it would take the uncertainty out of the exchange rate. There are many more people who claim to be Scottish in the US than there are in Scotland and they may just want to support their home country.

Yes, the article was very far fetched and full of holes but it made me think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The more I think about this the more it winds me up Graham ... irrespective of where I was born, less than 10% of the UK population will decide the future of the other 90% ..

That cannot be right, it cannot be democratic.. and why oh why did Cameron ever agree to a referendum in the first place.. Was he so stupid or maybe naive to think the vote could only go one way ? the man is a tosser.

Also winding me up.. we have immigrants , ink barely dry on the social benefits claim forms deciding the future of my country, of your country ... a country that you and I can trace our fore fathers back several hundred years..
They are deciding the future of the UK .. that is wrong.

Scots are divided, Scots and English are divided.. father is falling out with son.. sons are falling out with brothers.. it's just plain madness.

I have removed the small Saltire flag from my car as I fear it may have attracted mindless idiots.. last thing I need is Scots rage on the road..

I am incensed .. in fact it may be worth challenging this in the ECHR .. every man jack of us should have had the vote.. :swear2:

Thank you Jim.

I couldn't agree more, nor could I have worded it so eloquently.

I too feel robbed, in that I didn't get a vote, not because I am a Scot, but because I was born, raised, worked, served, and live in this country. I am a British born Scot and should have a right to vote, more so than many of those foreigners and immigrants currently living Scotland.
clear.png

I too hope that the vote on Thursday results in a major majority for "NO".

Jim, I'm sorry that you've felt the need to remove the small Saltire from your car. I have to say that it's not something I have felt the need to consider where we are....................yet, and hopefully not either.

Cheers,

Jock.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Jock,

Jim has seen a recent post in another thread which shows the difference to the US:
"SIR – To amend the constitution of the United States requires assent by two thirds of Congress and three quarters of the states. On the question of dissolving the United Kingdom, 92 per cent of the people have no vote and, of those that do, assent by only 50 per cent plus one is needed."

In the case of Scotland, the numbers are as loopy as offering a vote to Londoners, whereupon if just ONE-TENTH of the population of the London metropolis would rather not massively subsidise ALL of the UK and keep the money themselves, we'd allow them to do that.

I estimate, given the predicted 80% turn-out, that if just 1.7M vote Yes (this includes many who perhaps have little allegiance to Scotland or the UK) then the UK will be broken up, affecting 70M of us.

Who said Cameron never thinks things through? Oh, I did ....

Dave

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Let's face it Her Maj may emulate Queen Anne and refuse Royal Assent......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back