Thought about Scotland independance (1 Viewer)

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Interesting comment l heard today on R4 ....
If Scotland goes independent then you will need separate travel and vehicle insurance to go there as being an independent country nhs wont apply or normal uk breakdown.

The Scots would need the same to come to the rest of the UK.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yep!

The EHIC won't be available for the Scots and our EHICS won't be accepted there.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Interesting comment l heard today on R4 ....
If Scotland goes independent then you will need separate travel and vehicle insurance to go there as being an independent country nhs wont apply or normal uk breakdown.

The Scots would need the same to come to the rest of the UK.
U don't need separate travel insurance for Europe so y would u need it for scotland

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Scotland is not a member of the eu and so no ehic or whatever the medical card is for a start and if you have an accident how will you pay for medical aid if needed and breakdown is different as individual country. Added to that l don't know how many others would visit the continent without medical insurance but l wouldn't that's for sure and so where does that leave scotland uk scotland depending which side of the border you live.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Scotland is not a member of the eu and so no ehic or whatever the medical card is for a start and if you have an accident how will you pay for medical aid if needed and breakdown is different as individual country. Added to that l don't know how many others would visit the continent without medical insurance but l wouldn't that's for sure and so where does that leave scotland uk scotland depending which side of the border you live.

no different than if you are visiting Morocco , Switzerland , Norway and any other non EU country

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Technically your insurance would be invalid, but I'm sure cover would be added as a matter of course by most insurers almost immediately.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
He's only rattling it cos we have no forces left.as I see it all these government thinks the need for boots on the ground is out dated. Well there wrong. We scrapped a perfectly good aircraft carrier we've not got one now got to rely on the French for air cover . So Putin Isis and all that looks at us as easy targets. Which we are now.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Will Corby and GT Yarmouth be designated Scottish enclaves following independance?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
unless you have dual citizenship.. ;)
Will that be allowed though? In order to simplify things like state pension arrangements it may well be that people will have to choose to remain British or take Scottish nationality. Just one of the many unknowns :(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Will that be allowed though? In order to simplify things like state pension arrangements it may well be that people will have to choose to remain British or take Scottish nationality. Just one of the many unknowns :(

no idea Graham..

not in the least bit interested either in it .. I am British, have a UK passport .. and certainly wouldn't trade it for a Joke Jock one ..

Reactions: GJH

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If they all bog off it will make Euston Station a bit more pleasant on a Friday afternoon.

That's all I am saying

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect there is still a lot to be negotiated if there is a yes vote and even after independence there will probably be transitional arrangements over things like health care. For example what about all the folk with Scottish ancestry living in England? At some point they will have to decide if they are taking Scottish or UK citizenship. If they elect Scottish they will be immigrants! :) A yes vote will be the start of some very protracted negotiations. Almost worth leaving for France or Spain just to avoid it!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
folk with Scottish ancestry living in England? At some point they will have to decide if they are taking Scottish or UK citizenship

apparently not.. as per my link.. dual citizenship is possible.. even for kids born in England of Scottish parents.. .. but I won't be applying..

I'm British.. .. Scotland going it's own way won't change that..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
apparently not.. as per my link.. dual citizenship is possible.. even for kids born in England of Scottish parents.. .. but I won't be applying..

I'm British.. .. Scotland going it's own way won't change that..
That's just more Yes campaign rubbish isn't it? According to them
The current Scottish Government has set out detailed plans for citizenship on independence. British citizens habitually resident in Scotland on independence will be considered Scottish citizens. This will include British citizens who hold dual citizenship with another country. Scottish born British citizens currently living outside of Scotland will also be considered Scottish citizens.
but, as you say Jim, you don't want it (neither does my Scots mate). Who do these people think they are that they can dictate to people against their will?
The fact is that, like just about everything, if they win it has to be negotiated and agreed not just imposed by smug Eck.

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
If they all bog off it will make Euston Station a bit more pleasant on a Friday afternoon.

That's all I am saying
Hanging about railway stations on a Friday afternoon I didn't know you was a train spotter Chris how interesting......

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hanging about railway stations on a Friday afternoon I didn't know you was a train spotter Chris how interesting......

Yeah, I am doing a course on it.

It was a toss up between that and a course on folk dancing and morris dancing ...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yeah, I am doing a course on it.

It was a toss up between that and a course on folk dancing and morris dancing ...

Ready for the next train incident then, Chris? Of course, the fatality rate for Morris dancers is quite high, mainly caused by other pub visitors who just want a quiet drink........... so there might be some litigation business there as well;)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Ready for the next train incident then, Chris? Of course, the fatality rate for Morris dancers is quite high, mainly caused by other pub visitors who just want a quiet drink........... so there might be some litigation business there as well;)
Might be a hang oot for solicitors ..... Rally inn business....:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back