Thor Industries to buy out Hymer (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Expect build quality to drop further as maximum profit will be the name of the game.
Spent the last few days with a long term Hymer owner and he is already saying that the quality of his latest new van is very poor compared with previous vans.

Richard.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That’s a huge amount of money. I bet some directors etc will do ok out of that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Oops, @JJ will not be happy about owning an old Yank instead of a classic Hymer :rolleyes:.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spent the last few days with a long term Hymer owner and he is already saying that the quality of his latest new van is very poor compared with previous vans.
I think that applies to most makes as they strive for lighter vans & more profit.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Expect build quality to drop further as maximum profit will be the name of the game.

Richard.
Our new HYMER is a major disappointment to me and the worst van for minor faults we have had .
Looked in a friends 13 year old van what a difference (n)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Having just ordered and taken delivery of a 2018 Thor Windsport It will be nice to see Hymer start to have a few 21st Century toys and gadgets on them

Good for the industry I think

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Might be the old pump and dump, but they could be in it for the longterm.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Having just ordered and taken delivery of a 2018 Thor Windsport It will be nice to see Hymer start to have a few 21st Century toys and gadgets on them

That may be so but American vans have a very dated style in every one that I have ever been in! Just my opinion! Their engines are of course quite ridiculous when used this side of the pond with our rates of fuel tax!

Of course it is a style to suit the American market which they obviously like but I have to say that I prefer the European style of decor, fabrics, leather and cupboard colours and finishes.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

Does that mean you and Jim are now hymer owners ? Haha

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just wanted to mention that Thor owns both Airstream and Dutchmen amongst other brands and those are both good brands.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Last weekend we drove 140 miles to view a new Hymer, it was pretty much what we were looking for. Unfortunately we discovered rust water marks running down the walls under the bedroom windows, also the wall was bulging out beneath the offside bedroom window. On lifting the rubber seal the window frame was badly corroded with bits just falling off. Asked the salesman if he was aware of the problem and he said yes it was caused by condensation. He went on to say
the metal frame had not been made from the
correct material and Hymer had authorised
them to rectify the fault. He was confident that once they had stripped and rebuilt it nobody would be any the wiser .
The level of corrosion and water damage was concerning on a brand new motorhome
so we said goodbye.

Ray

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Last weekend we drove 140 miles to view a new Hymer, it was pretty much what we were looking for. Unfortunately we discovered rust water marks running down the walls under the bedroom windows, also the wall was bulging out beneath the offside bedroom window. On lifting the rubber seal the window frame was badly corroded with bits just falling off. Asked the salesman if he was aware of the problem and he said yes it was caused by condensation. He went on to say
the metal frame had not been made from the
correct material and Hymer had authorised
them to rectify the fault. He was confident that once they had stripped and rebuilt it nobody would be any the wiser .
The level of corrosion and water damage was concerning on a brand new motorhome
so we said goodbye.

Ray
I call ours the HYMER PIG
It’s better than some but basically thrown together with poor quality materials and appliances by unskilled monkeys .
My old joiner would cry if he saw the standard of workmanship.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Blimey..... people criticising Hymer build quality....... be careful..... the Hymer “build the best vans and British vans are rubbish” brigade will be on your cases.....

The worlds going mad!!!

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Blimey..... people criticising Hymer build quality....... be careful..... the Hymer “build the best vans and British vans are rubbish” brigade will be on your cases.....

The worlds going mad!!!
Lol
British vans are crap too
There you go ‘ I have restored the normal order of things for you (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Yes space to move around is so yesterday :D . Much better to be wedged in around a fancy table touching knees, and trying to work out where to move when one of you wants to use the loo.

Can't argue that they usually have plenty of space especially when slides are installed.

Just don't like the interior style I'm afraid!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That may be so but American vans have a very dated style in every one that I have ever been in! Just my opinion! Their engines are of course quite ridiculous when used this side of the pond with our rates of fuel tax!

Of course it is a style to suit the American market which they obviously like but I have to say that I prefer the European style of decor, fabrics, leather and cupboard colours and finishes.
10 MPG on LPG @50p a Litre? Ridiculous? Hardly

Most modern materials, Corian, wood and LED lighting are similar

The difference noticeable with things like the effortless 350 Bhp engineand space once the slides are out:D2

Each to their own though(y)

Can’t be nice to know your sides sold out;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We will just have to hope the quality doesn't drop to yank standards.
At the beginning 1990 I bought a brand new 600/6 on a Fiat chassis 2Ltr petrol chassis

At the end of 1990 we bold a brand new Gulf Stream Conquest on a Ford V8 diesel chassis

One had dash air, roof air, power steering, automatic gearbox, heating that worked, loads of room, loads of payload, a fridge big enough for a young family, a freezer, a big oven, a big microwave, big holding tanks

The other didn’t

If I had to buy one of the two back tomorrow and live in it for Six months touring around Europe I wouldn’t hesitate to pick the “poorly” built RV

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When you buy a new RV for the UK , do they come ready for the Uk or does anything have to be done on arrival ? Just nosey

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Erwin Hymer has just turned in his grave. His kids have sold the family jewels. :eek:
Anecdotally, I don't think that Hymer build quality was significantly better than anyone else in recent years, similar to other premium brands. Le Voyageur as well stopped being top quality a couple of years ago and are now just rebadged Pilotes. A sign of the times, everyone chasing down the % margins

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When you buy a new RV for the UK , do they come ready for the Uk or does anything have to be done on arrival ? Just nosey
We bought through Signature Motorhomes and anything that need doing is done, the three American TV’s had to be changed for European spec regarding DVB-T but that’s done by Signature.

But most everything is Worldwide nowadays

Downloading the App to control everything from Hydraulic Jacks, self supporting awning, lounge and bed room ( all standard of course ;)) is universal, as is the Bluetooth for the internal and external surround systems

The only thing that we needed to change was move the slide out compressor cool box, it was mounted in a locker under the locker that housed the outside flatscreen TV, which causes issues when watching the rugby, and the beer bitch is in the way getting beers

I guess it’s because the Americans don’t play Rugby!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After two Thor Four Winds RVs I agree the quality is not as good as my Hymer which has been faultless since new but you get so much more with an RV, if it were not for licence I would have one now.
Our RVs were also virtually faultless in performance and space to live with slideouts.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

They look impressive, what length did you opt for?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back