DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If they breed again next year I suggest you don't climb up to the nest. Apart from being against the law, assuming you don't have a permit to do it, the activity is likely to attract the attention of the local predators and scavengers. The parents for example might have been displaying while you were near the nest and that would have been like a beacon to a buzzard. Or they might just have wondered what the ladder was for and why someone was climbing up into the tree. Buzzards are not the brightest of birds but they aren't daft when it comes to finding food. :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We see it this bird every day, hovering near our villa. But lately it's started to hover right next to us. It's amazing how it stays so still in the strong winds.

But I've no idea what it is. Ideas ?

[video=youtube;NBGl0PXcQIw]

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
We see it this bird every day, hovering near our villa. But lately it's started to hover right next to us. It's amazing how it stays so still in the strong winds.

Kestrel for sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

You have your own kestrel sub-species where you live, Falco tinnunculus dacotiae found only on Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and a few surrounding islets. Paler on the back and more spotted on the breast than "our" kestrels. :)

OP
OP
Scotch mist
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Buzzard just doing it's job. There would have been other Kestrel nests in the area that were more productive and make up for this shortfall.

your probably rite but
If they breed again next year I suggest you don't climb up to the nest. Apart from being against the law, assuming you don't have a permit to do it, the activity is likely to attract the attention of the local predators and scavengers. The parents for example might have been displaying while you were near the nest and that would have been like a beacon to a buzzard. Or they might just have wondered what the ladder was for and why someone was climbing up into the tree. Buzzards are not the brightest of birds but they aren't daft when it comes to finding food. :)

the kestrels are in and out the nest 20 times a day once the chicks are born , buzzards soar high above watching this and that’s how they find there prey , I wouldn’t think buzzards follow humans or ladders looking for nests , It’s not the first time the buzzards have eaten my young kestrels, I seen one eating a fully feathered kestrel, i Now think it was probably a young bird on its first flight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back