This week I broke..... (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thought I'd post this one. It seems that every time we take the van out, we break something. This weekend was no exception! Putting the bed away this morning, I knelt on the bed to put the extension cushions away into their cupboard, and there's this almighty crack!

On investigation, this is what I found :(
IMG_0834.JPG

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Would a repair be possible with a length of narrow Angle iron beneath and behind if you see what I mean ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought I'd post this one. It seems that every time we take the van out, we break something. This weekend was no exception! Putting the bed away this morning, I knelt on the bed to put the extension cushions away into their cupboard, and there's this almighty crack!

On investigation, this is what I found :(
View attachment 151845
Ours has done that, just got a piece of timber 2x1 , stained it the right colour and glued and screwed it underneath, been like that a couple of years now(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ours has done that, just got a piece of timber 2x1 , stained it the right colour and glued and screwed it underneath, been like that a couple of years now(y):)
I have just been looking at a way to fix it, and I was also thinking along those lines. Route a groove along a piece of timber, be much stronger than that flimsy plastic!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have just been looking at a way to fix it, and I was also thinking along those lines. Route a groove along a piece of timber, be much stronger than that flimsy plastic!
Yeah you can't believe it's lasts at all.

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
Our first van was an auto trail Navajo, we had it 9 months and exactly the same thing happened. We disliked having to make up the bed each day anyway but after this we bought a replacement front panel and sold it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Didn't realise it was plastic hardly fit for purpose then.

As far as I can see everything in the photo is plastic.

Thank goodness our Niesmann+Bischoff furniture is made of solid wood, and the body double skin aluminium sandwich(no timber) and in 7.5 yers of ownership the only items that have broken have been bought-in plastic bits in the fridge(Dometic) , hab door retainer(UV damage of course) and a tap micro-switch. The only N+B supplied item was a garage door hinge - down to the this owners poor lubrication of mismatch of steel hinge pin and alloy flanges.

Not bad for a 14 year-old MH and 7.5 years with us.

I suspect the build qualities in 2003 were better, with no pressure to keep weight down below 3500kg AND decent payload. Certailny that is the opinion of many owners of even quality MHs on many forums.. Since ours has only 40,000 miles we shall be keeping it for a while yet.

I hope the OP is able to sort it out and beef it up quite soon - or is it hotels for the night?

Good Luck

Geoff

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I hope the OP is able to sort it out and beef it up quite soon - or is it hotels for the night?
Luckily, last night was the last motorhome night, and we aren't out in her again for 2 weeks, should give me plenty of time to sort it out.

I've been scouring blind/curtain suppliers, there has to be a similar runner available that is made of metal. Also, just discovered that the Swift original replacement part is Ā£65 for a 2m strip :madder:

I'm a bit pushed for space to get a decent bit of timber past all the woodwork back there!

Also on a side note, I just scared myself half to death! Took all the cushions out, and the back wall was wet to the touch! Oh crap, I thinks, I have damp. Well I am delighted to say after about an hour checking, inside the wall is completely dry, it's just condensation (big sigh off relief)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Oh bu**er , that looks a pain to try and fix :(

On a positive note can I say I broke my record for walking a mile today? After nearly 3 years of being really unwell and thinking I'd never feel human again, I'm trying to build up my fitness.
1 mile non stop along sand and wearing wellies in 15 mins 20 seconds. :)

Hope you can get your bed sorted.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Got to keep the weight down , you know, cheap tat all round. That section could be found off the shelf somewhere for pennies, that is where they would get it from.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
We broke our bed, YES, WE BROKE OUR BED, in the caravan. Took van to the dealer and he ordered the plastic moulding. In the meantime I built a frame to support the bed from mdf. Five weeks later, parts arrived. Left van. Phone call next day. We've ordered wrong part. Phoned manufacturer, Elddis. Do you have five feet of moulding? Sorry, no, we only have enough for the vans in the production line. Another call from dealer after five weeks. Have parts. Me. Send it. I'll fit it. Took twenty minutes in all, longest part taking staples out. Good luck @DanielFord. Regards, Mike

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
What a great thread - surely one for @Jim to make sticky!

So on Saturday...
IMG_6865.JPG

I managed to break the support under the seat.

By arse isn't that big :(

I think the 4mm of lightweight plywood above the fixing was expected to do a job it wasn't designed for!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Would a repair be possible with a length of narrow Angle iron beneath and behind if you see what I mean ?
Not really a good idea for the same reason metal pit props are far from the miners favourites.

While plastic or wood will bend and the spring back, mild steel or similar will bend and stay bent.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
What a great thread - surely one for @Jim to make sticky!

So on Saturday... View attachment 152069

I managed to break the support under the seat.

By arse isn't that big :(

I think the 4mm of lightweight plywood above the fixing was expected to do a job it wasn't designed for!
Ooops, I'm beginning to spot a recurring theme here, another seat related breakage! :whistle:

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
All fixed, ready for me to break the next thing this weekend!
IMG_0836.JPG

Incidentally, this is the cross section of the rail, should anyone else need to replace one in a Swift:
IMG_0837.JPG

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
..................all my promises to be a nicer person, and less 'honest' with my opinions of people:(

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I broke the garden fork. My better half said on purpose . I think I am going to get a 2day late birthday present. lol

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
This week I have broken so many drill bits thinking now might be the time to throw them all out and start buying new bits before I need them this time.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I was fixing the delaminating floor on mine today, thatā€™s bad enough.

Ham fisted me then leant on the drill too hard as I was going through the floor and went straight through the bottom layer too. I saw daylight and everything. šŸ˜«šŸ˜«

No major harm done, I taped the hole to hold the glue and will sikaflex it after, I did feel stupid though.

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
I love these threads 3 and a half years of nothing then revived :xsmile::xsmile::xsmile:
cant believe nobody broke nowt in over 3 years xroll:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back