This just got very complicated (1 Viewer)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello. We bought our first m/h about 4 yrs ago. A Euramobil profila. Since then have looked at plenty of others but not found anything we prefer. Fine German made workmanship (Right hand drive) It is billed as 5 berth but that would be too tight, is more like 4 berth. It is fully winterised with double floor. Has overcab bed (big and comfy). I have checked and have a LEZ printout thingy to say it is accepted.

Worth taking a look if you can find one.

Wyn

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Thanks Wyn. Your MH type looks like a good compromise option too - the missus even commented that it 'might' work albeit she isn't completely sold on the idea. She has said that the front lounge should be convertable to a sleeping area. I'm happy with either LHF or RHD, but I'm beginning to think I should go down the German route for better build quality and more useabilty throughout the year (we go to shows in November and February) and I have ALWAYS wanted to go camping for my birthday in December :)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
So update.

Been doing lots of research and thanks to some great ideas from members here, got some thoughts.

I've taken advice and not stuck on a rear lounge (thanks @Ralph-n-Bev (y) ). I'm now also sure I want a well built, winterised MH.

@WynandJean also raised the idea of a Eura Mobile Profila, some digging around showed a 675VB model that could work for us (it has the same floorplan as a GTL Living, but smaller).

I have some questions that I'd appreciate a steer on:

Profila, this is the 'bargain' model types, right. Can I get the 675VB floorplan on a higher spec'd model, indeed, is this at all necessary. I've only read one problem with damp (but then guessing this needs to be offset against the fact that less are sold).

Ford Transit bases. I'm guessing they are better than Fiats?

How do I know that MH's are winterised? I know this may seem like a weird question, but some that I know are, just aren't described as such.

I'm going to see a storage place in the morning, so their prices will dictate whether I can afford to go bigger and then have other models previously discounted in length.

It feels like I'm still at square one, even though I've learnt so much already and have a better understanding of what will work and what won't.

So, if length isn't an option, we know we absolutely need:

Rear forward facing seats with belts x2
winterised
A lounging area (can be at front)
Beds the other end of the lounging area (i.e. overhead cab if lounge at rear, or bunk beds at rear if lounge up front)

Some other points to consider:

3.5t and under would be preferable although not essential, as would LEZ compliant.
Storage would be good.

I turn to you funsters for more advice.

Thanks in advance!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
OK. An update if anyone is at all interested.

So I was pretty specific with my needs and wants - given that I had been camping for 30 odd years and 15 or so in campers.

For the life of me I couldn't find anything the right length that had the right layout. Then I stumbled across a Rapido 9010df. I'd love an A Class if I could afford one.

An extended holiday with the family in Mauritus gave me some more time to think and look at different options when the missus said to me - look if you want to get this a class and you can afford it, do it.

Trouble was I couldn't really afford it; although I had yet to find one that had come up for sale recently.

So. Looked, looked and looked some more, turning my head to the continent where I stumbled across one in Germany. Still a bit much more than I wanted to pay (or had) but made some enquiries. The dealership were less than helpful. Simple questions were being ignored or any answers were brief and not giving much away. The dealer essentially goaded me into coming over to view and test drive if I was serious.

I wasn't giving up. I wanted to show him that I was serious and whilst I didn't want to give him my money - what could I do, it was the only 9010df for sale in Europe!

Booked my flights for Tuesday just gone, car hire and hotels. Then there was the whole rigmarole of finding the best way to transfer money and getting a good rate given that he did not have a card terminal.

On the Friday before I was due to leave I found another 9010df in Germany, but 300 miles away from where I was flying to. I emailed the dealer and my experience with them were at total odds to the first dealer.

Having spent 100s of hours reading up on this forum and speaking to others about importing, I was pretty sure it was something I could do - even though I really didn't have a clue about what I was actually doing never having owned a MH but what I did know is that if I spent 35k+ and bought a lemon I'd be pretty upset!

The second dealer was emailing me on Sunday past 21:00 UK time- that is some going to give me info! And I decided then that I would go and view this MH first, even if that did mean a 300 mile drive. It it was pants then I would revert back to plan A and drive back. But when I emailed the dealer to advise of my plans she told me that someone had been to view it that day and was going to advise on the Monday whether he was going to buy it. Nervous 24hrs, but I got an email on Monday to state that he wanted it but didn't have the funds available immediately which gave me a small window of opportunity.

Went to view the MH and could not really fault it. Not only had the dealer indicated that she would do a very reasonable deal there were so many extras in the MH that even in my wildest dreams I would not have thought possible. These included satellite dish, solar, digital tyre pressure sensors, air suspension, air suspension self levelling, tvs, media centre, sensors, cameras, spare wheel, summer/winter tyres (unused). Started adding it all up and we're talking about 20k just it extras!

I had persuaded my mechanic mate to down tools in a busy period at his garage to come over with me to have a look and give me a second pair of eyes. He couldn't fault it and best of all he knew how to operate all the extras!

Test drive went well although was a bit nerve wracking in a vehicle that was 2.3 metres wide - I was sold. Funnily enough when we agreed the price the dealer said that the first potential buyer had called her up that morning with an offer that was €3.5k higher than what I had agreed! Transferred the money, did the deal and then the next morning we did the paperwork- got export plates and were on the road by 11.30.

Drove 250 miles and stopped over in De Panne, Belgium, before taking the tunnel the next morning (didn't actually get the train I booked as customs were very interested in pulling me over and looking for drugs but that is another story for another day).

Made it back to my mates garage where he will be adjusting the headlamps to RHD, new speedo and as it has twin fogs that isn't a worry. Will slap on a MOT and then I go through the process of getting it registered which I'm sure will have some pitfalls but hey - it's all been a bit nerve wracking, exciting, and will be part of the adventure. Not actually got it home to see if it will fit on the drive but as long as the manufactures (and my measurements) are not too far off we should be fine!

Massive thanks to Simon, my missus and Maria from Hymer-Zentrum Dhonau B1 (she's actually 77 was great!) Normally if I want something I go and get it - just couldn't see how I could swing this but I managed in the end with persistence and pure bloody mindedness. I'll have loads of questions no doubt coming soon but the resources and reading others experiences were invaluable and I'm happy to pass these on (such as stay away from wohnmobile-galerie unless you want really poor customer service!). I'll leave you with a pic of 'Brian' on the beach in De Panne.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 32

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Great buy. We love our Rapido. But, good look with the VCA.......:devil:
Took me three attempts to sort ours out, but I did give myself an 8 weeks time scale to sort the van. 7 weeks later, a few more grey hairs, and we are all sorted.
Enjoy...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back