This Is The Sort Of Behaviour That Makes Me Hate The Apple Company (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Reactions: SMB

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So they update the software and it stopped them working, then they issued another update and it fixed it ... could have been an intentional thing or an error ... all this does is reinforce why I won't ever have an iPhone! If I want something I buy it because I can use it, and repair it, as I want NOT how I'm told to I have to, to protect their 'monopoly'.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Apple tried to sue a small iPhone repair shop in Norway, the repair shop won

http://flip.it/89CBPN

JJ :cool:
Unfortunately that won’t happen again JJ, just went to update the new OS 11 and had a quick read of what had been improved not a lot but one thing they have sussed out is how to stop unofficial repairs so if you have a replacement screen not fitted by Apple don’t install the update.
Am an Apple fan and I do go to approved repairers, however it’s a bit sly and certainly going to cause plenty of problems for people who have fitted non-approved screens.
Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Last edited:
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
iMac hard drive failed after two and a half years, replaced by Apple for free.

Can imagine what other manufacturers would have said.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
At the price of an iMac a freebie hard drive is neither here nor there :).

Possibly so.
There is no reason then why all manufacturers don't say after even just 12 months "compared to what you paid, the repair required is relatively small so we will cover it".

Yes, I am sure someone will come along to say they have got repairs under warranty done after 12 months by other companies but I suspect not many and none after two and a half years.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So they update the software and it stopped them working,.

I stumbled across a YouTube where Tesla did exactly that to a car. It must be a Yank thing, take their money and treat them like dirt.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Possibly so.
There is no reason then why all manufacturers don't say after even just 12 months "compared to what you paid, the repair required is relatively small so we will cover it".

Yes, I am sure someone will come along to say they have got repairs under warranty done after 12 months by other companies but I suspect not many and none after two and a half years.

Apple products are like Snap-on, Buy 1 pay for 2, so if the only freebe is a hard disk then they are quids in, if they have to give you a new product no problem as you paid for 2 anyway.:)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Just fixed our 25-year-old Bosch dishwasher. That's its fourth repair (three by me).

It was still under warranty the first time it failed. The engineer came out and swapped a PCB for a new one. When it failed again, it was out of warranty. I took out the same PCB myself and re-soldered the obvious dry joints on the board (thanks to Google where I found out about this common issue with that model).

It kept going for quite a few years, before the soap dispenser wore out -- a cheap part that was easy to replace.

Then the solder joint problem reappeared recently, which I repaired and it is working again. I don't think it will last much longer, though, as a lot of the plastic parts are becoming brittle with age and starting to crack or snap.

White goods are so relatively cheap these days that you often cannot justify the cost of repair because of how much it costs to fix them. Most of that cost is not parts, but labour and call out fees, etc. Even a one-man-band engineer has costs to cover other than his time like insurance, running a van, tools, manuals, advertising, certification, etc. It's a shame that it is simply a question of econmics that results in a throw-away society. Then again the consumer society relies on us throwing things away and buying new ones just to keep people in work!

Latest cheapskate repair: had a central heating motorised valve fail.

Call out a plumber and they will replace the whole unit (cost price c. £60) + labour of course, unless it's a mate.

Traced the issue to a burnt out microswitch. Identified component. Bought new microswitch on eBay for £2.50 including postage. Soldered in new microswitch. Problem sorted.

Valve: Drayton ZA5
microswitch: Burgess XCG3-Z1 Plunger Microswitch, 5 A @ 250 V Ac

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Our Whirlpool American 2 door fridge/Freezer went wrong last week, a quick google and £200 ouch! And 2 days later we have the new front electronics board, job done, maximum brownie points.:D First trouble in ten years so can't complain.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Latest cheapskate repair: had a central heating motorised valve fail.

Call out a plumber and they will replace the whole unit (cost price c. £60) + labour of course, unless it's a mate.

Traced the issue to a burnt out microswitch. Identified component. Bought new microswitch on eBay for £2.50 including postage. Soldered in new microswitch. Problem sorted.

Valve: Drayton ZA5
microswitch: Burgess XCG3-Z1 Plunger Microswitch, 5 A @ 250 V Ac

How long did you spend on the job all in? That means fault finding the problem, sourcing the part then installing and testing it. Now place a value on your time.

It's fine to do that sort of thing yourself if you have the skills and the time.

Personally whilst I have the skills for that sort of job I'm not retired so time is an issue. It usually works out cheaper and easier for me to pay someone else to do it than waste time doing it myself and to be perfectly honest I'd almost always pay someone else any way because even if I do have the spare time I usually have better things to do with it.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
How long did you spend on the job all in? That means fault finding the problem, sourcing the part then installing and testing it. Now place a value on your time.

It's fine to do that sort of thing yourself if you have the skills and the time.

Personally whilst I have the skills for that sort of job I'm not retired so time is an issue. It usually works out cheaper and easier for me to pay someone else to do it than waste time doing it myself and to be perfectly honest I'd almost always pay someone else any way because even if I do have the spare time I usually have better things to do with it.

I absolutley agree. For most people it makes no sense to waste their time on this kind of thing: better to pay someone to do it and get on with something more pleasurable. I choose to do it because a) I enjoy the mental and technical challenge b) I hate to see such waste where whole units get binned for the sake of one small failed component. (I'm not retired either by the way).

For this particular fix, diagnosis took seconds (as it's a very common fault, so one of the first things to look for) and fixing the component involves just two solder joints (say ten minutes).

However, some of the other fixes I have done have been much more time-consuming, like the fiddly business of disassembling and re-assembling a smartphone. You would only do that kind of thing, if you enjoy it and treat it as a hobby.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back