This Is The Sort Of Behaviour That Makes Me Hate The Apple Company

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JJ, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +26,392
    That's comparing Apples to Bananas :p Think I know which I prefer :whistle:

2. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +992
    Do you have to jailbreak your Iphone to install 3rd party apps? I tried that on my old Iphone 5s without success just out of curiosity, I haven't rooted my android phone as there's no apps I really want which require it.

3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +26,814
    I think he's referring to the apps you get via the Apple App store, not elsewhere, obviously Apple don't product them all but get them from 'vetted' sources.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +992
    I only took up with The Red because I felt sorry for Dave having to take the brunt of your verbal Blue assaults, she is now helping to share the load (y)

• Love it Love it x 1
  5. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +992
    Ah I see, my fault, I realised that they don't produce all of their apps but thought NickNic was talking about apps other than from the app store. Thats what I meant by third party, should have said open source instead. Ta!

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +38,613
    I would definitely go for £1000 worth of (inflatable) bananas and take them to the Cathedral For The Enlightened Ones... just like the good old days. ;)

JJ :cool:

• Like it Like it x 3
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,166
    No idea but also no idea why anyone would want or need to.

I’ve never been unable to find any app that I want on the App Store.

If it’s something where the developers are unable or unwilling to meet the stability and security standards that Apple set for inclusion on the App Store then I don’t want it on my device anyway.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. MyrtleGuru

MyrtleGuru Funster

Ratings:
    +206
    Just fixed our 25-year-old Bosch dishwasher. That's its fourth repair (three by me).

It was still under warranty the first time it failed. The engineer came out and swapped a PCB for a new one. When it failed again, it was out of warranty. I took out the same PCB myself and re-soldered the obvious dry joints on the board (thanks to Google where I found out about this common issue with that model).

It kept going for quite a few years, before the soap dispenser wore out -- a cheap part that was easy to replace.

Then the solder joint problem reappeared recently, which I repaired and it is working again. I don't think it will last much longer, though, as a lot of the plastic parts are becoming brittle with age and starting to crack or snap.

White goods are so relatively cheap these days that you often cannot justify the cost of repair because of how much it costs to fix them. Most of that cost is not parts, but labour and call out fees, etc. Even a one-man-band engineer has costs to cover other than his time like insurance, running a van, tools, manuals, advertising, certification, etc. It's a shame that it is simply a question of econmics that results in a throw-away society. Then again the consumer society relies on us throwing things away and buying new ones just to keep people in work!

• Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,322
    Talking about fitting a third party screens to an iPhone 8 believe the recent software update (v11.3???) will identify it's not oem and disable touchscreen functionality thereby making it a bit of a fancy paperweight!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +26,814
    Hmmmm ... if they CAN do that I think they'd be sued ... I cannot believe they can tell someone how they can repair their phone once Apple have sold it to them!

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,322
    • Like it Like it x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +26,814
    So they update the software and it stopped them working, then they issued another update and it fixed it ... could have been an intentional thing or an error ... all this does is reinforce why I won't ever have an iPhone! If I want something I buy it because I can use it, and repair it, as I want NOT how I'm told to I have to, to protect their 'monopoly'.

• Like it Like it x 2
  13. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Unfortunately that won’t happen again JJ, just went to update the new OS 11 and had a quick read of what had been improved not a lot but one thing they have sussed out is how to stop unofficial repairs so if you have a replacement screen not fitted by Apple don’t install the update.
    Am an Apple fan and I do go to approved repairers, however it’s a bit sly and certainly going to cause plenty of problems for people who have fitted non-approved screens.
    Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.

14. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +38,613
    No thanks.

JJ :cool:

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,112
    I’ve searched the Apple store and cannot find a weighbridge app!

Edit, that was meant as a joke, but I did search afterwards, and there is one! It needs some weighcells though

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/iexactweigh/id826653629?mt=8

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  16. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Ratings:
    +353
    iMac hard drive failed after two and a half years, replaced by Apple for free.

Can imagine what other manufacturers would have said.

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +6,920
    At the price of an iMac a freebie hard drive is neither here nor there :).

18. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Ratings:
    +353
    Possibly so.
    There is no reason then why all manufacturers don't say after even just 12 months "compared to what you paid, the repair required is relatively small so we will cover it".

Yes, I am sure someone will come along to say they have got repairs under warranty done after 12 months by other companies but I suspect not many and none after two and a half years.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +37,471
    I stumbled across a YouTube where Tesla did exactly that to a car. It must be a Yank thing, take their money and treat them like dirt.

20. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +6,578
    Apple products are like Snap-on, Buy 1 pay for 2, so if the only freebe is a hard disk then they are quids in, if they have to give you a new product no problem as you paid for 2 anyway.:)

• Funny Funny x 1