LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
personally I think the plod doing the chasing has a human right to live as well;. Unless this was some monstrous crime I think I would awaited till I saw him elsewhere, Plod could have lost his life and could for all we know been in pursuit of a stolen lollipop.

I am probably the only one who was routing for the lad to get away though

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am probably the only one who was routing for the lad to get away though
No you weren't Paul, he was doing a cracking job.
Wonder how long it would have gone on had he not run out of fuel/broken down.
Love the way he tried to put it on the center stand at the end

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Our softly softly policing is certainty working very well, No knife crime, No scooter muggings, No violence on the streets, No vehicles taken by force & No no go area's etc etc, Its going great,:rolleyes:
Give em an inch they'll take a mile (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I know its in a foreign place. I'm only opining on matters through a Brittish lense, we are after all renowned for our exemplary policing so it stands to reason that it can be used as a yard stick to grade tge performance of other forces.

As for the Elfin-safety comment above, I dispair. And the human rights comment? Really? What part of the declaration of human rights don't you like? Right to life? Right to freedom of movement? Right to religious and political freedom? Freedom of association and expression? Freedom from unfair incarceration? Freedom from cruel and degrading treatment? Right to a private and family life?

Should I continue? If you cant contribute to the debate then you should be quiet, your utterances only disply your ignorance.
Ho ho - you know this forum is named Fun don't you... I guess you're also aware of Rule 1?

Did I say I didn't approve of H&S, I only implied they'd be having a touch of the vapours after watching the OP's vid.

...and again, where exactly is my disparagement of the Declaration of Human Rights ? That's reserved for the lobbyists & ambulance chasing lawyers - and perhaps also to some of the judiciary that decide a criminal has the right to remain in the UK because of his "right to a family life" because he has a cat!

I'm sure historically we were renowned for certain aspects of our policing such as being unarmed - but perhaps not quite so much in others. Hillsborough & Orgreave spring to mind.

As you see - I certainly can contribute to a debate, and I fail to see how any of my light-hearted posts display ignorance... and I'm not likely to be "quiet" just because you tell me to.

You've agreed with my point that the chase was patently not in the UK, but you haven't challenged my second argument to your assertion that current police procedures have evolved at the "behest" of voters...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you want a more robust response you must overturn those procedures, precedents and legislation that you wanted in the first place; but you should be careful what you wish for...

More robust you say - what like mowing down moped riders with a car :D2

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I know its in a foreign place. I'm only opining on matters through a Brittish lense, we are after all renowned for our exemplary policing so it stands to reason that it can be used as a yard stick to grade tge performance of other forces.

As for the Elfin-safety comment above, I dispair. And the human rights comment? Really? What part of the declaration of human rights don't you like? Right to life? Right to freedom of movement? Right to religious and political freedom? Freedom of association and expression? Freedom from unfair incarceration? Freedom from cruel and degrading treatment? Right to a private and family life?

Should I continue? If you cant contribute to the debate then you should be quiet, your utterances only disply your ignorance.
Dont lose sight of Rule 1 :)
BTW I was on the Blue line many years ago , so was genuinely saddened by the state our "law enforcement" is currently in , due to
policy , and with absolutely nothing to say to the detriment of
the people at the pointy end .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Caveat - We don't know the full story but....

Unless the offender was a wanted high value criminal, armed, or presenting a serious danger to the public there is just no justification for that. Think terrorist/fleeing murderer/kidnapper and we would be in the right area. Other than that they win, another chance will present or another unit will deal.

Clearly an unjustifiable and disproportionate response from the Officer; the Red Mist has descended. That's why we have senior Officer oversight in this country and they MUST be authorised.

Controller - "You want to do what for what?"

Officer - "A high speed m/c pursuit at night, through a busy built up area with pedestrian and vehicular traffic and poor lighting, without proper protection for either party"

Controller - "No, stand down".

By initiating the pursuit he endangered himself, the rider he was chasing and the many, many other road users that had to take avoiding action as they blasted through. It would never happen here, and rightly so. If a m/c Officer behaved like that he'd most probably be booted out of the unit.

Whether he is a good rider or not is immaterial, his judgement is flawed, he is not doing his job correctly. In initiating and continuing the pursuit he failed to conduct a generic risk assessment and the simplest of cost/benefit analysis, both simple tactics that would have been drilled into him at rider training.

Remember an officer's first and overriding duty is to ….."Preserve life", it's in the oath.

Some of you arm chair warriors relaxing out there really make me chuckle, you need to get a reality check. Do you have any idea how dangerous a pursuit like that is? Do you have any idea the likelihood of a fatality? For what? A minor ticketable violation?

No doubt you will be the same key board Zen masters who condemn the Police when they do pursue and cause a fatality because it was not justified or properly assessed. Or if the offender died as a result and was a relative, you would be shouting from the highest tower about the police being overly aggressive and looking for a public enquiry and compensation!

Or even worse, you were out and about on holiday having a great time with the family and friends and you got T-boned by 350 kilos of mounted Cop doing 70 mph as you crossed the road. I am sure your loved ones would have something to say about that, and rightly so.
And there ha go...

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You can clearly see that the lad in the first clip was riding without lights so the Police bike may have saved him from a collision by warning other traffic.

The lad was also wearing flip flops. When he put his foot on the ground doing some of those sharp turns he was lucky not to injure himself. More luck than skill I would say. All's well that ends in handcuffs. :whistle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
lets face it, the pursuit was in Brazil and the cop would definitely be carrying a firearm. The kid was lucky they didnt end the pursuit in a quiet back alley with a volley of bullets

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is and has been for many years. The collective musings on here display a fundemental misunderstanding of how the law and policing operate in the UK.
These are regulations, laws and procedures that have evolved over many years at the behest of you the voter and implemented by your elected representative in parliament, or established by the courts and pressured into existance by the media and press.

If you want a more robust response you must overturn those procedures, precedents and legislation that you wanted in the first place; but you should be careful what you wish for...
And is exactly why we are in the state we are in.
If your ex job, it’s ok, you ain’t in the factory now, get your self deprogrammed
If you are still working, I understand , you are talking the party line you are fed by the scrambled egg brigade ( most of whom are there because they could not do the job of a real copper )

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Nonsense on both counts, he ran because he was chased, the dangerous driving would have never occurred if he wasn't pursued - chicken and egg. You don't initiate a pursuit without justification or knowing why you are pursuing. A pursuit needs to be authorised for that reason, the pursuer is not in the decision loop for good reason, it too often ends in death because of poor decision making in the heat of the moment, prosecution, discipline, lost job, forfeited pension and prison follow on close behind.

It would appear that you don't recommend stopping if the police tell you too then - just blast on dangerously and the cops will call it off - sorted??(n)

Just saying - only my opinion of course:)

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
These are regulations, laws and procedures that have evolved over many years

Please be nice when you post here . This place has rules and regulations that have evolved over many years too .:D

Rule 1 Be Nice.

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are not allowed. As is telling others to "Get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit" As soon as a discussion gets even a tiny bit personal it can go downhill fast. So don't get personal "You Would Say That" or "Only an idiot would do that" makes it personal. Don't do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have often wondered what would happen if when chased younslowed it right down. I mean 15 mph slow.
Too fat to be run after, too slow to be accused of reckless driving..
Given to outride plod is extremely unlikely ( ok, not impossible but unlikely ) the eventual outcome remains the same but you could have right larff fairly safely before getting nabbed

Sort of do an O.J. Simpson!
Just looking through old posts and saw this.
Years ago we were chasing safely following a couple of loveable rogues in a stolen motor when they dropped their speed down and drove straight to the nick but parked it up in a disabled bay.

Yes we did give them a ticket for parking in a disabled bay

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back