This is one reason why our vehicle insurances are so high (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have a small fleet, all insured all taxed, all parked on private property when either myself or my wife can only drive one at a time.

One even sits in a private parking area at Alicante airport a lot of the time. Yet I still have to tax it.

My wife has twice been hit by an insured driver in 2019.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Really pees me right off.

That car looks as though it was parked. Unless they saw somebody drive it there, how to they know who to prosecute - absent driver or Registered Keeper?

Or do they hang around for a driver to come back for it?

Just wondering.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
That car looks as though it was parked. Unless they saw somebody drive it there, how to they know who to prosecute - absent driver or Registered Keeper?

Just wondering.

Looks like the drivers door is open so police are possibly talking to person in the drivers seat
There are so many cameras about now i bet with a quick radio call they would find it on the cctv driving to that spot

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Just wondering.

Looks like the driver's window is open and the Officer is speaking to the driver.

That car has scrapes and dents indicating that the driver doesn't give a toss.

Insured drivers pay for the claims against uninsured drivers, including drivers without a valid license who never passed a UK test, or are banned. Estimates I have heard say they are about 1 million of them on the roads.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Friend in Torquay lives in a street that over the last two years has been filled with vans connected to caravans, several other vans, a huge trailer left almost permanently outside her house. All belong to a bloke who lives a few streets away and buys and sells. None are taxed or insured. She and a neighbour have reported them to the police several times, nothing gets done. It‘s routine around here to park cars fully on pavements, on the road within inches of junctions, so few police that it’s all ignored. Apparently most nights there are no more than 12 officers on the ground to cover the 3 towns of Torbay.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Around our way, if you subscribe to the @BCH twitter feed, they stop several unregistered, untaxed and/or uninsured cars a day.
All of them are seized, I've personally witnessed two being taken, and some are crushed.

Hopefully it is this inconvenience & cost which will start to deter others from doing the same rather than points & disqualification which tends to be ignored. Quite a few don't seem to bother with a licence at all.

Is this a bigger problem than drink/drug driving?

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Around our way, if you subscribe to the @BCH twitter feed, they stop several unregistered, untaxed and/or uninsured cars a day.
All of them are seized, I've personally witnessed two being taken, and some are crushed.

Hopefully it is this inconvenience & cost which will start to deter others from doing the same rather than points & disqualification which tends to be ignored. Quite a few don't seem to bother with a licence at all.

According to my friends in the force, drug driving is rife.

A motorcyclist was killed in my home town this new year. Female driver of car arrested on suspicion of drug driving.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Just wondering.

The drivers door is open so assume it was stopped whilst driving.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It‘s routine around here to park cars fully on pavements

I do believe London is the only place where it’s an offence to park on the path.

Anywhere else the offence is obstruction.
Or driving over a raised kerb which has to be observed by a Police Officer.

Ohh and contacting DVLA for in taxed is the best route done via online.

No reason why you can’t do it once a day ?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
According to the police, parking offences, abandoned vehicles, etc are a matter for the council.
We have recent double yellow lines around here that people ignore, police drive round the cars parked on them as it is a council matter, the cars arrive in the evening when all good council workers have gone home by 4pm!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
According to the police, parking offences, abandoned vehicles, etc are a matter for the council.
We have recent double yellow lines around here that people ignore, police drive round the cars parked on them as it is a council matter, the cars arrive in the evening when all good council workers have gone home by 4pm!

Powers regarding parking offences changed some time ago from the Police to L A’s.

Unless it contravenes a road traffic offence but good luck getting a booby out for that one.

We get a large influx on a Sunday morning of parents bringing their kids to rugby training/matches.

It has to be seen to be believed how they park and I mean dangerously.

I once had a PCSO come to see me about it at 7pm around 8 hours after they all left ?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
watching a police reality show on tv they said they only do number plate checks with the cameras occasionally as it would overload the courts if they did it to often

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A couple of weeks ago I reported online to Operation Crackdown, an untaxed, uninsured 8 year old vehicle without an MOT that was outside my house and hadn't moved for two weeks.
2 days later a warning notice appeared on the windscreen and 7 days later it was removed by a contractor.

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Excellent. And what do they do with the vehicles?
and some are crushed.

:whistle2: ;)...

Screenshot_20200105-121941_Twitter-600x1233.jpg

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I understand in the uk it's the driver, and in europe it's the registered keeper

This is why Europe can claim speeding fines from uk, but for uk it's too much trouble to find driver for a speeding offence committed in uk.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I understand in the uk it's the driver, and in europe it's the registered keeper

This is why Europe can claim speeding fines from uk, but for uk it's too much trouble to find driver for a speeding offence committed in uk.
We’ve just driven through England in our French registered camping car. We ignored all speed limits and drove through about a dozen speed cameras knowing they won’t do anything about it!

We didn’t really, we could have done, but I know it would wind some people up!

But, we did follow a UK registered motorhome driving through France near Boulogne a couple of weeks ago. They took no notice of the 30, 50 and 70km speed limits they drove through.
I guess, when they get home and see a couple of speeding tickets, they will accuse the French authorities of targeting them because they are British!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Just wondering.
In the absence of a driver any NIP would go to the registered keeper, just as it does with a fixed speed camera offense.
It's then up to the keeper to state who was driving or accept the penalty themselves.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Registered keeper is asked to furnish details of the driver..if they don't they get the speeding fine..BUSBY.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the cars arrive in the evening when all good council workers have gone home by 4pm!
I've had a parking ticket at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon in a village 5 miles out of town...... So they don't all finish at 4pm and have weekends off.
Possibly only happens if a member of public reports it and someone is on call.... It was on a drop kerb I never noticed.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It has to be seen to be believed how they park and I mean dangerously.

The new estate where I lived until 2012 had similar problems due to students leaving their cars all day long on roads, footpaths, in private parking spaces etc. I witnessed incidents when the Fire Service and ambulances on blue light runs could not get through without physically moving inconsiderately parked cars out of the way.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I do believe London is the only place where it’s an offence to park on the path.
It has recently become an offence in Scotland with a fine of £70 and 3 points, there was a large cheer from the car haters but in my area at least no one has bothered. The roads around me are too narrow for vehicles to park fully on the road, if they did the roads would be blocked.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Insurance renewal just came through for our Velar. Last year £292, renewal £254.
Then i noticed my brother was still on the policy from when he visited last year, (he is now on the Caddy Ins after his escape from Kiev) so i removed him from the renewal, now £190.84....................result, happy with that. QMH.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Looks like the driver's window is open and the Officer is speaking to the driver.

That car has scrapes and dents indicating that the driver doesn't give a toss.

Insured drivers pay for the claims against uninsured drivers, including drivers without a valid license who never passed a UK test, or are banned. Estimates I have heard say they are about 1 million of them on the roads.
I met a british motorhomer in greece last winter who's 2002 uk registered van had not been in the uk once in the last 8 years. No mot , no tax and not sure if any insurance that was worthwhile due to no mot. Its amazing what folk get away with

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I agree.

The problem is not insuring your car and drink/drug driving often go together.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back