This is not an A Frame Debate. But your help is required (1 Viewer)

CaravanConvert

Free Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail V Line SE
Exp
Motorhome owner since 2017
I have decided to purchase a Toyota Aygo for the purpose of towing behind my Tribute T-615 coach build. For UK use only. This decision is for both age and health reasons.

My problem is should I spend £1000 on a 22 kg mechanical overrun braking A frame such as made by Armitage Trailers etc or should I spend a massive £2000 on a 10kg electronic breaking A frame.

The dearer version must have some advantages, such as braking efficiency, ease and speed of attachment etc, but would the cheaper version be sufficiently up to the job although harder to attach, but be legal in the UK.

Your comments based on users experience would be welcome.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is not an A Frame Debate

But it will turn into one :LOL:

For what it's worth.... Electronlc braking is miles ahead of overrun cable braking.
It's proportional whereas overrun is dependant on the force exerted on the sliding hitch.
Not enough and the brakes do next to nothing, brake harder and the brakes are full on but the van then tries to pull the rapidly slowing car releasing the brakes making them less efficient and repeat as long as your braking hard.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
we had one fitted to our fiat 500 last year, after careful consideration we went for LNB towmaster 2 which is only 12kg and has the invisibrake system, they also fit a small light in the MH cab that lights up when brakes are applied..
they did a great job of the fit and to look at the front of the car you would not know it has the A frame fitments, we are really pleased

https://www.lnbleisure.co.uk/index.php/20

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I've had both, and would go for the electronic one every time. The cable one I had ended up costing a fortune on new front brake calipers and discs on a newish Smart . This was because the cable seized up and stuck the brakes on (you could hardly tell when driving) only went a short distance before realising something was wrong!
That particular a frame was only about 12 months old.
So if you do get a cable one make sure you lubricate the cable regularly,
Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Towtal a frame with RVi 2 braking unit which sits in the footwell and pushes on the brake pedal with various levels of adjustable pressure , works well with the wireless remote unit in the motorhome so you can monitor and check operation when towing, also allows a degree of reverse possible before steering turns , handy if you need to shunt which is almost impossible with an overrun system.
Mine is fitted to a Kia Rio 3 , good system imo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I've got to the stage where my Car-a-Tow frame is getting to heavy for me. I also seem to recollect reading the new trailer regulations, and deciding that the LNB system came closest to meeting them although as always part was open to interpretation.

Malcolm

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We use a Chris Cox mechanical A frame (he’s now stopped doing them-moved to Spain I believe)
Had no problem with it, but it can be awkward when stopped getting the brake lights to come off because of the over run brake.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I’ve also had both ( Armitage and Towbarstotowcars) Both do the job. The Armitage one is easier to attach in some respects as the jockey wheel can hold the tow bar above the towball whilst you line them up. It is heavier, but again the jockey wheel can be used to move it by hand. The electronic one is still heavy to lift ( although only half the weight) The Aygo is so light you probably won’t notice it is there with either system. You also do t really need the brakes to come on in most driving scenarios because the car is so light, but of course they do help the stopping effort. Both do a neat job on the car.

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
I have the Towbarstotowcars electronic system and have never had any other type so can't compare, but I find that if you keep the connections greased it is very easy to lift on and fit, and it is very manageable and not too heavy to carry to boot when finished with, also the front of my C1 doesn't show any fixing points when not in use ,just a small 50mm ring fastened to grille to hook breakaway cable to.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I have the Towbarstotowcars electronic system and have never had any other type so can't compare, but I find that if you keep the connections greased it is very easy to lift on and fit, and it is very manageable and not too heavy to carry to boot when finished with, also the front of my C1 doesn't show any fixing points when not in use ,just a small 50mm ring fastened to grille to hook breakaway cable to.
Don’t you have the two little plastic plugs where the towing eyes screw in?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back