West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Only a Carthago owner would try that!
(- If only it was a cure for Covid !-)
Perhaps it is, shall we suggest it as an alternative to bleach.:LOL: It might even work, poisoning would appear on the death certificate instead of covid-19.

I believe one university is trialing an off the shelf cold and flue nasal spray, so we may yet be surprised by some of the outcomes.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Only a Carthago owner would try that!
(- If only it was a cure for Covid !-)
It is. I kills the viruses and wipes out the patient quickly breaking the chain of infection with the added benefit of reducing the pressure on the NHS. Wot's not to like.:clap2: .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Strangely I thought that mine did also but I have hunted high and low and not been able to find any. The law of sod is that they will turn up just after I find a replacement. :(
Mine came with 3 spare lock barrels but none of my keys fitted I later found out they are the original fiat barrels that are matched to the chassis

Have you tried emailing Chris at reliance

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Mine came with 3 spare lock barrels but none of my keys fitted I later found out they are the original fiat barrels that are matched to the chassis

Not yet but I'm sure if anyone can help he will be able to do so. I will wait a few days.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Ah, now that might be why there are spare locks then, they'd have to suite them all to match, I'll have to dig mine out and see if my key works them!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Ah, now that might be why there are spare locks then, they'd have to suite them all to match, I'll have to dig mine out and see if my key works them!
Me too but my motorhome is in a tier 3 area and I am in a tier 4 one so it might have to wait a while.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

Does that mean I have 3 spare locks for the fuel flap which is suited with the engine key not the habitation ones.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
One of the best tips is to regularly spray your external locks with WD40 { put the key in and spray inside the barrel } & spray your window rubber seals / flyscreen runners with silicone spray { otherwise they stick like glue to the plastic windows and tear over time } .
Or, as a valeter once told me, johnsons baby oil is brilliant on the rubber seals etc and a damn site cheaper.

Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
I think WD40 invalidates our lock warranty

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Yeah, the only flap with no lock is the EHU, seems no-one is likely to give you free electricity.
Ah, but maybe they will try and steal yours....:LOL:

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Motorhome and caravan manufacturers should upgrade the exterior barrel locks to make them water proof.
ie, continuous improvement of a known issue.
A plastic flip cover cap would suffice.

Dallyman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto-sleeperBroadway
Exp
10 years
When my gas locker lock became faulty I swapped it with the one on the Thetford cassette locker door. I can't imagine anyone wanting to siphon that one.
But they do like to swap their knackered cassette for your good one. Happend to a friend 😉

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Stealing someone else’s poo! I’ve heard it all now!! How low can you stoop? If my self respect fell that low I would have to ...... buy a new lock!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Russ

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is there much evidence of that - or is it imagined?
I'd like to think that my fellow citizens would find better ways to amuse themselves but those who wild in ways that may upset could feel the need for such protection.
Somebody stole my water to put into their car, good luck to them, I do not have a symbol for water as the diesel is by the passenger door, the water the other side at the rear.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Stealing someone else’s poo! I’ve heard it all now!! How low can you stoop? If my self respect fell that low I would have to ...... buy a new lock!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Russ
£119 for a big cassette .

Gaza1515

Free Member
Feb 23, 2020
Accrington
Funster No
MH
Geist 710
Exp
Since 2015
Some while ago the key for my fresh water filler cap jammed in the lock. Eventually I was able to get it out but the actual lock mechanism was slightly damaged. I then bought a removal key and was able to extract the lock mechanism from the cap. Knowing the lock / key number I had high hopes of just buying a new lock. I don't just want another one as the same key works all the external locks so another one would mean another key. The problem is I can't find a lock supplier. Load of people supply keys but not locks. Can any of you wonderful people point me to a supplier please?

PS Carthago and their UK agents have been less than useless.
Hi,
Try these guys.

David / Dundee

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
dundee
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2016
Just picked up on this thread. I had to replace one barrel lock. Its a bit of a pain using an extra key. Is it possible to get a lock to match the original 9 locks.?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My 2019 Carthago (July build) came with spare lock barrels.
I 'found' the spare lock barrels that came with ours today and tried my Carthago hab-door key in them .. they don't work! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I 'found' the spare lock barrels that came with ours today and tried my Carthago hab-door key in them .. they don't work! :rolleyes:
I eventually bought some spares from Carthago through Reliance. Solved the problem but nearly put the bank into administration 😢.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the timely reminder to spray all my locks with good old Ambersil 40+. It does everything y'know . . . .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy Girl Any photos of the locks?
Here you go:

IMG_20210507_164355.jpg
IMG_20210507_164425.jpg
IMG_20210507_164522.jpg

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that. I think you will find those are the original lock barrels from the van prior to conversion. I also had a pack of those and they aren't of much use and even a different key type.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for that. I think you will find those are the original lock barrels from the van prior to conversion. I also had a pack of those and they aren't of much use and even a different key type.
As ours is an A-class (as yours is) it won't have had a body previously so no doors to lock, although I too through as you have suggested. I showed them to hubby and he informed that they don't work properly until they are actually installed in the door mechanisms so they may be matched spares after all especially since our Carthago keys (not Fiat ignition) fit them, they also have the same key number and the sticky out bits match perfectly too as you can tell from the first photo. Hopefully we won't need them but I'll be keeping them in the MH just in case.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
As ours is an A-class (as yours is) it won't have had a body previously so no doors to lock, although I too through as you have suggested. I showed them to hubby and he informed that they don't work properly until they are actually installed in the door mechanisms so they may be matched spares after all especially since our Carthago keys (not Fiat ignition) fit them, they also have the same key number and the sticky out bits match perfectly too as you can tell from the first photo. Hopefully we won't need them but I'll be keeping them in the MH just in case.
I'm not sure that your theory applies to mine. I have a lock barrel removal key and over time I've removed nearly all of mine for cleaning and lubrication, especially since I had the original problem. None have been even remotely similar to the so called "spares" but I will look again in case I've missed something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back