This buying process is a nightmare..... (1 Viewer)

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Having decided on the style of van we want (Autosleeper symbol or Trigano tribute) we have already decided to increase our budget considerably from 15k to 25k. However, the number of adverts where the description doesn’t agree with the mot history is amazing.

I’ve just looked at a couple now. One was described as excellent bodywork. The mot has recorded several fails for major corrosion affecting structural integrity. Another, auto sleeper symbol at £22k, has the mileage on the advert in big letters as “39900 FROM NEW”, but the mot history clearly shows the mileage currently at 72500.

I’m not sure how they get away with this, but it’s annoying and depressing at the same time. But I learned about looking up the MOT history on here, and that alone has been worth the annual subs!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the mileage one might be simply the case of the mot showing kilometers with the advert stating miles. very common if the van is an import with a kph speedo

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes it can be frustrating looking for a van but also exciting. Get yourself off to a few shows, you just never know what someone will be trading in.

At the Glasgow show its only new vehicles but you usually get a few selling theirs parked in the car park with ads on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
the mileage one might be simply the case of the mot showing kilometers with the advert stating miles. very common if the van is an import with a kph speedo

I’ve been in touch with the dealer and I had the incorrect registration. So my bad. But when I looked at the correct one, the mot history is really not good with failure after failure. Including corrosion to the sills all round, excessive corrosion to the suspension mounting both sides, plus dozens of advisories each year that have not been addressed e.g. coil springs corroded, steering rack pipe badly corroded.

So it’s still a no no.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Yes it can be frustrating looking for a van but also exciting. Get yourself off to a few shows, you just never know what someone will be trading in.

At the Glasgow show its only new vehicles but you usually get a few selling theirs parked in the car park with ads on.
I never thought of that. Good idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back