Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
For us civilised people venturing into the third world it can be rather shocking. Especially when it comes to ablutions. I recall recently the strange calls and screams in the night as I quickly made my way toward the nearest toilet. I smelled it, long before I saw it, but needs must, I’d put off this shower long enough.

I forced myself to be brave and pulled open the door. The pungent aroma comes over me in waves, a combination of stale urine, damp, rot and that diarrhoea smell you find all over the third world. This would normally take your breath away but I was holding it.

Searching in the half light I found those horrendous stand up toilets that you see in such uncivilised countries. Having to aim for such a small hole, while standing up, leads to poor accuracy and around the holes was plenty of crap and debris that had missed the target. As I retched, my body movement triggered an electric light and as it flickered on, so did my realisation that they weren’t toilets, I was looking at the showers! That shower could wait. I’m a celebrity get me outa here.

The exit door needed to be pushed to open. Last decorated in the 1950’s, a million excrement stained hands had removed the paint exposing a dark wood that I was never going to touch. Kicking the door open in panic and now with a violent need to breathe, I try to make my escape but it bounces back and slams shut in my face. It touched me! I kick it again softer this time so I can step through before it closes. It slams shut behind me, but I can’t breathe yet. I must take at least ten paces away from the toilet block for the air to be clean.

I can’t wait to leave this Swansea campsite. ;)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
:confused:Funnily enough, Swansea have a whole website dedicated to toilets, but I know what you mean!!

Public toilets are available throughout Swansea. Disabled access and baby changing facilities are available in many of our toilets.

RADAR facilities are available at 15 toilets around Swansea. You can buy a RADAR key for £3 from the Civic Centre on Oystermouth Road (01792 636000).

Changing Places facilities are available in 6 toilets. They have extra space for disabled people and their carers and a height adjustable changing bench and hoist. Some of these are not run by the council.

If you have any problems with council run toilets please report them to the supervisor or use our online form to Link Removed. If there is a problem with changing places toilets not run by the council please report them to staff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Turdonsea:LOL:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It suits you! Wow, you must have a real strange fetish or two going on there James:sick: Methinks your just practicing the creative writing for the new book!(y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bloody hell @Jim you turning into a pussy ;)

Try Tibet that's a real experience, on the Tibetan plateau water is only used for cooking and as its permafrost there are no latrine holeso_O. Was giving my bike a service outside a home stay when I needed the toilet, asked the guy where it was he just waved his arm around :eek: I suddenly realised I'd been lieing down in the toilet as it's everywhere and anywhere.:)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Try Tibet that's a real experience,

Ahahahaha! No need to go that far away Rory! Next time Gypsies invade my stadium with 120 caravans (having at least 4 people in each) I'll let you in for a very very unusual experience! You'll live among poo, you'll breathe poo, you'll walk in poo.... all in one place...mine! and of course I say nothing about 10 big containers of awful smelly litter... oh and the buzzbuzz of big green flies ! Mmmmm, it's engraved in my memory!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats the problem with the English abroad, they expect the natives to be civilised. A few missionaries should sort em out :).

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when i worked in Siberia the toilet was a shed with a hole dug in to the per-ma frost.
ther was one toilet for 180 on the camp ther was no shower block just a banya like a sona it was the rugest drilling camp i had the misfortune to work on now that was bad peeew the smell was :sicker::sicker:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It suits me to be here for a month or two so I'm not saying :)
in other words ... its cheap!!!! :D

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I guess that the post was a bit tongue in cheek but I must confess we undertook a 4 week tour around Wales a month or so ago and we commented time and time again just how clean and well maintained were the public toilets that we used, certainly far far better overall than we had experienced elsewhere in England, France, Holland (cant even find one there!) and Belgium so hats off to the Welsh (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
:confused:Funnily enough, Swansea have a whole website dedicated to toilets, but I know what you mean!!

Public toilets are available throughout Swansea. Disabled access and baby changing facilities are available in many of our toilets.

RADAR facilities are available at 15 toilets around Swansea. You can buy a RADAR key for £3 from the Civic Centre on Oystermouth Road (01792 636000).
Or for £1.68 from ebay
Changing Places facilities are available in 6 toilets. They have extra space for disabled people and their carers and a height adjustable changing bench and hoist. Some of these are not run by the council.

If you have any problems with council run toilets please report them to the supervisor or use our online form to Link Removed. If there is a problem with changing places toilets not run by the council please report them to staff.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
@Jim reading your post I thought I was back stranded in Madras Airport for 12 hours circa 1990! I was dying for the loo but every time I ventured inside my body reacted !!!! No orifices opening in that arena :LOL:

Rex remembers siting on a thunder box in a German forest not noticing that the thunder box had been put over the hole the wrong way round so the solid front was at the back so he ended up p*****g all over his boots and combats!!! :LOL:

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@Jim remember you are now a guest in WALES the clean toilets are locked we have to give you as much shit as we can ray xx lol still lol we know where you are now ,one as 5 toilets ,one Jacuzzi bath,and three showers give us a ring and we will send you some photo's

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
One of my driver was caught short at a French Cafe and had to use their loos. It was a two footplace and a hole in the floor, He squatted and his back pocket let go of his wallet into the said hole. HE HAD TO GET IT BACK last seen lying on his front with an arm down said hole to recover his wallet with ALL his money and his fuel cards. He did get them back but was sick as a pig for an hour. even after washing he stunk like a french loo of the old kind for a few days and nobody would talk to or come within a few yards of him. It was a bit like dropping your arm down a bad cassette emptying point.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@Jim you can always use the out side toilets it's called the woods ray xx lol still lol and use a doc leaf not a stingy to wipe your arse

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Jim that's what happens when you decide to live in Wales, you go soft. Get back over the border and toughen up man.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I can remember camping at Grenoble back in 1970 and visiting the ablutions block which was full of men shaving, washing, brushing teeth, showering and peeing but I needed the the cubicle not mentioned so far. Typical french loo back in the day with the 2 footplates. Finished up and pulled or pressed the flush and lo and behold nothing went away the tray filled with water and started to overflow and I was out of there like a flash. Never ever seen a panic like it before or since!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you no longer a resident of Wales then @Jim? Last I heard you were still trying to sell your mansion there ... I was hoping to come for a holiday next year and stop in your field (with the motorhome of course)! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back