Third party cover under someone else's comprehensive policy (1 Viewer)

dixieland

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Herefordshire/Eauze
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Evening all. My friends tell me that , because they have fully comprehensive insurance on their car , I am entitled to drive the car with their permission and get third party cover under their insurance. I dispute this can you tell me who is right
Jim

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Normally it would be third party on your insurance if your car or van policy offered that cover. Not all do nowadays so read your policy documents.

If your friend has any driver fully comp then you’d be covered

Whatever happens the car needs to be insured by its user.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have “third party” cover on my insurance... so can drive my kid’s cars etc.. but it specifically say “no vans”..
so I can’t drive my bro’s non-commercial van... I did ask if non commercials where included... to be told .. yes..

Like @Zains Pops said... read the small print

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
They are wrong, you would have to be a named driver to use their policy.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Anyone over 30 can drive my car with my permission, but I think it’s third party in that case.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
You used to get cover as standard but not any more. Majority of insurers do not provide this cover. You need to read your schedule and certificate to confirm. DO not rely on it.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
On my policy it states I can drive any vehicle on a third party basis with the permission and so long as a policy is held by the owner ,frequently drive other people's cars on this basis .

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
On my policy it states I can drive any vehicle on a third party basis with the permission and so long as a policy is held by the owner ,frequently drive other people's cars on this basis .
Good luck with that. I personally don't have a wad of cash in my bank account that will pay thousands of pounds if I write off a vehicle and it's my fault.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can only drive someone else's car on THEIR policy if you are named on it as another driver and that would normally mean you have comprehensive cover, not third party (unless of course their policy is ONLY third party). You cannot drive a car on their insurance in any other way.

You may be able to drive their car if you are insured for your own vehicle and your insurance policy allows you to drive cars not owned by you but this would normally mean only with third party cover and the car's owner would still have to have insurance themselves for the vehicle even though you wouldn't be 'using' it as such.

Personally I wouldn't ever drive anyone else's vehicle on third party cover only unless it was an emergency ... if you had an accident in their car how would you cover the cost of repair/replacement?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My policy allows someone, not named, to drive in an Emergency. providing they are licenced to drive the vehicle. I also on last policy had cover to ride a motorcycle despite not having a licence. Couldn't put that one to the test J wouldn't let me anywhere near the KTM

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My policy allows someone, not named, to drive in an Emergency. providing they are licenced to drive the vehicle. I also on last policy had cover to ride a motorcycle despite not having a licence. Couldn't put that one to the test J wouldn't let me anywhere near the KTM
An emergency situation makes sense, but not for normal tootling around which I think is what the OP is talking about.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Evening all. My friends tell me that , because they have fully comprehensive insurance on their car , I am entitled to drive the car with their permission and get third party cover under their insurance. I dispute this can you tell me who is right
Jim
You are right

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it depends on the poicy but if you were going to rely on it check first. The next question would be if there is an accident do you have to tell your insurers at the next renewal that you have been involved in a claim on someone elses policy and does it affect your no claims I suspect the answer is yes!

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
As others have said depends on policy. Mine states any driver with my consent and who is properly licenced, but 3rd party only, so unlikely I will ever consent.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Have to read the policy schedule. It will state who can drive, and it may state that named drivers can drive or it could say anyone can drive it. Company car insurance often allows anyone employed by the company to drive.

For driving other people’s cars under your own policy, the usual wording is something like “the policyholder can also drive any vehicle not belonging to him, nor hired to him, nor leased to him under any third party hire agreements”. This would give you third party cover. In this case you might be able to drive your kids cars for example, but only if they belong to the kids, and not you. In general adding yourself ( if you have a good record) to your kids’ insurance policies as an occasional named driver will make them cheaper, and you can drive them with comprehensive cover.

In the case of the OP question, if you want to drive a friends car for a day, a week or a month, he can call his company and have you added to the policy for that short period. I have occasionally added my kids to my policy for a week or 2 and it has been very cheap. I did this for example to enable my son to drive me to the airport, and it was cheaper than using an airport car park or getting a taxi. In this case the cover is comprehensive.

OP
OP
dixieland

dixieland

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Herefordshire/Eauze
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Very interesting. It seems to me that the situation is as it always has been except that some insurers now don't include third party for driving another vehicle. The worrying thing is that a great number of drivers just do not seem to understand their cover.
Jim

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good luck with that. I personally don't have a wad of cash in my bank account that will pay thousands of pounds if I write off a vehicle and it's my fault.[/QUOTE

Had a close call or two then?:D

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The worrying thing is that a great number of drivers just do not seem to understand their cover.
Jim

The worrying thing isn’t that a great number of drivers just do not seem to understand their obligations as a motorist!

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Very interesting. It seems to me that the situation is as it always has been except that some insurers now don't include third party for driving another vehicle. The worrying thing is that a great number of drivers just do not seem to understand their cover.
Jim

It used to be the norm that you got third party to drive anothers car as long as it was insured. But The last couple of policies I have bought (not motorhome) they have included a bold paragraph to state I am NOT insured to drive any other vehicle. Seems that the companies are removing that third party cover from their policies.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Guess you are talking about the UK where the driver is insured . In France it is the vehicle that is insured and with my permission anyone can drive it here ( not in the UK ) as long as I ensure they meet the criteria , for my company over 25, no convictions and licence held for more than 2 years .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It used to be the norm that you got third party to drive anothers car as long as it was insured. But The last couple of policies I have bought (not motorhome) they have included a bold paragraph to state I am NOT insured to drive any other vehicle. Seems that the companies are removing that third party cover from their policies.
i cancelled a tescos policy within the cooling off period as it didnt give me third party insurance for other peoiples cars.They have gradually eroded the wording from fully comprehensive down to comprehensive it used to be you were covered third party in any vehicle, since continous insurance was brought in the other vehicle has to have its own cover .so no more borrowing a mates car that they wasnt using unless its insured by them. My brother has a traders policy and is regularly stopped as the vehicle he is driving is not registered to anyone and not on the data base anpr doesnt know he is covered

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back