Third party cover under someone else's comprehensive policy

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by dixieland, May 31, 2018.

1. dixieland

dixieland Funster

Ratings:
    +41
    Evening all. My friends tell me that , because they have fully comprehensive insurance on their car , I am entitled to drive the car with their permission and get third party cover under their insurance. I dispute this can you tell me who is right
    Jim

2. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Ratings:
    +10,437
    Normally it would be third party on your insurance if your car or van policy offered that cover. Not all do nowadays so read your policy documents.

If your friend has any driver fully comp then you’d be covered

Whatever happens the car needs to be insured by its user.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Ratings:
    +6,412
    I have “third party” cover on my insurance... so can drive my kid’s cars etc.. but it specifically say “no vans”..
    so I can’t drive my bro’s non-commercial van... I did ask if non commercials where included... to be told .. yes..

Like @Zains Pops said... read the small print

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +8,755
    Simple their wrong

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. dixieland

dixieland Funster

Ratings:
    +41
    So that's 3 out of 3 so far who agree with me.

6. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Ratings:
    +2,787
    They are wrong, you would have to be a named driver to use their policy.

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +93,131
    Anyone over 30 can drive my car with my permission, but I think it’s third party in that case.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Ratings:
    +781
    You used to get cover as standard but not any more. Majority of insurers do not provide this cover. You need to read your schedule and certificate to confirm. DO not rely on it.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Ratings:
    +6,412
    Only if you read the small print...

I was offered cover that didn't include ... so asked for one that did..

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Ratings:
    +6,412
    I’d agree... it’s “your” insurance... that “may” offer that cover...

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,018
    On my policy it states I can drive any vehicle on a third party basis with the permission and so long as a policy is held by the owner ,frequently drive other people's cars on this basis .

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Ratings:
    +781
    Good luck with that. I personally don't have a wad of cash in my bank account that will pay thousands of pounds if I write off a vehicle and it's my fault.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,229
    You can only drive someone else's car on THEIR policy if you are named on it as another driver and that would normally mean you have comprehensive cover, not third party (unless of course their policy is ONLY third party). You cannot drive a car on their insurance in any other way.

You may be able to drive their car if you are insured for your own vehicle and your insurance policy allows you to drive cars not owned by you but this would normally mean only with third party cover and the car's owner would still have to have insurance themselves for the vehicle even though you wouldn't be 'using' it as such.

Personally I wouldn't ever drive anyone else's vehicle on third party cover only unless it was an emergency ... if you had an accident in their car how would you cover the cost of repair/replacement?

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  14. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Ratings:
    +4,108
    My policy allows someone, not named, to drive in an Emergency. providing they are licenced to drive the vehicle. I also on last policy had cover to ride a motorcycle despite not having a licence. Couldn't put that one to the test J wouldn't let me anywhere near the KTM

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,229
    An emergency situation makes sense, but not for normal tootling around which I think is what the OP is talking about.

• Like it Like it x 2
  16. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,125
    You are right

• Like it Like it x 1
  17. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +6,406
    I think it depends on the poicy but if you were going to rely on it check first. The next question would be if there is an accident do you have to tell your insurers at the next renewal that you have been involved in a claim on someone elses policy and does it affect your no claims I suspect the answer is yes!

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. joka250

joka250 Funster

Ratings:
    +682
    As others have said depends on policy. Mine states any driver with my consent and who is properly licenced, but 3rd party only, so unlikely I will ever consent.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +9,196
    Have to read the policy schedule. It will state who can drive, and it may state that named drivers can drive or it could say anyone can drive it. Company car insurance often allows anyone employed by the company to drive.

For driving other people’s cars under your own policy, the usual wording is something like “the policyholder can also drive any vehicle not belonging to him, nor hired to him, nor leased to him under any third party hire agreements”. This would give you third party cover. In this case you might be able to drive your kids cars for example, but only if they belong to the kids, and not you. In general adding yourself ( if you have a good record) to your kids’ insurance policies as an occasional named driver will make them cheaper, and you can drive them with comprehensive cover.

In the case of the OP question, if you want to drive a friends car for a day, a week or a month, he can call his company and have you added to the policy for that short period. I have occasionally added my kids to my policy for a week or 2 and it has been very cheap. I did this for example to enable my son to drive me to the airport, and it was cheaper than using an airport car park or getting a taxi. In this case the cover is comprehensive.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. dixieland

dixieland Funster

Ratings:
    +41
    Very interesting. It seems to me that the situation is as it always has been except that some insurers now don't include third party for driving another vehicle. The worrying thing is that a great number of drivers just do not seem to understand their cover.
    Jim

• Like it Like it x 2