Thinking of Visiting Croatia (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2019
Hi All. After spending too much staying in Mazarron, Spain and in England in July and August this year, I am starting to think about what we can do this summer at the height of the season. I am on a fairly tight budget so was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations for visiting Croatia. Have had a quick look at sites there and so far they seem quite pricey. Any suggestions please would be much appreciated? Thanks in advance, Corrinne.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Depending on when you go ACSI is the best option for camp sites.

We were told of an organisation that offered really inexpensive sites, but I can’t remember what it was called. I’ve done a quick search and have found this site - not sure if it’s the one or not.

There is also Campercontact.

We loved Croatia, but having travelled down to Dubrovnik we wouldn’t think it was worth doing again!

We stayed on ACSI Sites, with Dubrovnik being the only non ACSI - three times more expensive!

This is the thread I wrote - hope it helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Corrinne
Aug 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2019
Many thanks Lenny and Geraldine, really appreciate the blog links to get some hints for further travels. Have so far stayed mainly in Spain and fairly new to motorhoming so welcome some new ideas. Thank you ?

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
I recommend a visit to Opatija (stylish resort) and nearby campsite Autocamp Draga at Mošćenička Draga - popular site, even in low season, so booking recommended.

Plitviče Lakes National Park would be on my ‘must see‘ list, but they are very popular so get there early, plan to do the visit route in reverse and stay late to avoid the worst of the tour buses. We stayed at Cámping Korana, a huge site with plenty of space which operates a shuttle bus to the lakes. Cross country trips to the park take you through rural Croatia, lovely countryside and much evidence of recent conflicts.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Krka National Park is also worth a visit but it is busy, get there early. You will have to go through Slovenia to get to Croatia (unless you get a ferry from Italy). Only has a very small coastline but inland is lovely, Ljubljana, Lakes Bled and Bohinj are worth seeing.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It might be wise to check that your vehicle insurance covers Croatia. We wanted to travel there but found we would only have third party cover if we did.

OP
OP
Corrinne
Aug 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2019
Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated. Will look into the recommendations. ?

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Visited Croatia and when it was Jugoslavia many many times. Its absolutely beautiful especially south of Split but in all honesty it can be absolutely horrible in peak season. Far too many tourists and you will be cramped into some sites. We took the kids once or twice in peak weeks and there were inches between our units. Never again for us. Even early to mid September its busy as the Bavarian and Italian kids don't return to school until about the 12th Sept.

OP
OP
Corrinne
Aug 6, 2018
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2019
Thank you Parrotface - we will do the trip but will do it in the spring. Thanks for the heads up ??

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Krka National Park is also worth a visit but it is busy, get there early. You will have to go through Slovenia to get to Croatia (unless you get a ferry from Italy). Only has a very small coastline but inland is lovely, Ljubljana, Lakes Bled and Bohinj are worth seeing.
Certainly agree about Ljubljana and Lake Bled if you’re heading towards Croatia from the north. There’s a site, Ljubljana Resort (hotel & camping), which is well located for public transport into the city, but they have the monopoly and don’t need to try very hard. Consequently it’s expensive and very so-so, but worth grinning and bearing it for a couple of days for the location. I’d also recommended a site on the Slovenia/Croatia border, Camping Bela Krajina at Podzemelj. It’s right on the river, which is the border, with river swimming and a quiet, rural location.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Certainly agree about Ljubljana and Lake Bled if you’re heading towards Croatia from the north. There’s a site, Ljubljana Resort (hotel & camping), which is well located for public transport into the city, but they have the monopoly and don’t need to try very hard. Consequently it’s expensive and very so-so, but worth grinning and bearing it for a couple of days for the location. I’d also recommended a site on the Slovenia/Croatia border, Camping Bela Krajina at Podzemelj. It’s right on the river, which is the border, with river swimming and a quiet, rural location.
There is also an Aire in Ljubljana, at the Dolgi Most P&R. Used to be free but now appears to be a bit expensive. It is next to the railway, so can be noisy. Another site on the Slovenia/Croatia border is Parking Benetic, Crnomelj. Run by a really nice couple and on the way to Plitlivka. We stayed at Camp Bear, closest site to Plitlivka.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back