thinking of VB full rear air suspension (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Hi All

I am thinking of having full air suspension fitted on the rear only of my motorhome its a 2016 Rapido 7065 single rear axle 7.8 mts long

The question I would like to ask is has anyone on here had this specific kit fitted its the one on the alko chassis where the rear torsion bars etc are all removed and replaced completely with the VB full air kit it is not just an add on to work in conjunction with the rear suspension apparently its a complete conversion

It is not cheap its upwards of £4k so really wondering is it worth it I am just having a rear towbar fitted so I can put 2 electric bikes on the back via a towbar fitted bike rack so this will increase the load on the rear axle and may even push me over so this is one reason I know it will not make it legal if I do go over but wondering if it will improve the ride etc

I only need it for travelling as we have self levelling fitted for when we are parked up.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has had this kit fitted

LB

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have it on an Alko chassis, but am not convinced that it made a lot of difference to behaviour when travelling. I had it fitted to a new vehicle, though.
It would maintain the correct attitude of the van when heavily loaded.
It might allow easier levelling with jacks because you'd start by deflating the bags and gain extra range and, maybe, lower final height.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Are you having because the ride isn't good at the minute, or for increased payload. A lot of money for just ''wondering'' if it will improve the ride.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I uprated the rear suspension to heavy duty and still happy with it after 4years. I've looked into air but not convinced as the general feedback doesn't justify the cost.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
It woul possibly stop you from looking over weight!

Yes this is one thing i did think but to be honest even with the bikes on the bike rack now attached to the back panel and fully loaded it still rides well and still sits 75mm ish high on the back end

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Can't comment on "rear only" but I have had full VB air fitted on all 4 corners and although it's expensive I think its worth it. I can cruise a lot faster (if I need to) and passing lorries on the motorway is now drama free. It gives a far smother and more relaxing ride. I still chug along at 60 the majority of the time but pushing along at 80 if I really need to so not anywhere near as nerve wracking as it was, well apart from watching the fuel gauge plummet :)

I also went for the hydraulic levellers and they make a huge difference. Levelling is easier but that was never that difficult with ramps but the stability when moving round is, fo run, a huge improvement.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I had both self levelling jacks and Vb fitted all round in October. We haven't done more than a few hundred miles since having it fitted but the difference in ride is very noticeable. The road holding is much improved and when overtaking lorries or being overtaken the wind effect is a lot less. The ride is also quieter with less (but still some) rattling. As you say it is expensive but I am pleased. Why did I have it fitted?
1) To improve the Gross weight. I have never weighed my vehicle fully loaded but I cant believe we are under 5 Ton
2) The main reason was to be able to increase the height of the vehicle over speed ramps and when driving into and out from areas having significant ramps, without grounding the vehicle. Our Elegance has always seemed particularly low at the front to me and last summer I felt I was going to leave my exhaust on a speed ramp at the Hook of Holland. This, shortly after leaving a petrol garage and whacking the back on the ground as I left were the last straws for me. I convinced myself I was highly likely to incur a significant repair bill were I to continue driving the vehicle as we do heavily loaded. Already the difference in height is very noticeable (probably 4 inches higher in ride height mode) and when placed in ferry mode it rises another 6 to 8 inches. I now have a lot more confidence we can avoid damage from these obstacles.

Good luck

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
From reading the reviews I think I am going to wait a bit longer as my vehicle sits high and rides very well I have never grounded on anything and fully loaded the rear is about 4 inches higher than the front and I still have about 4-5 inch clearance from the front wheel arch to the tyre.

Thanks for all the replies you may have just saved me about 4k :D2

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I can’t see the justification over air assist which is much much cheaper.

Air assist covers up a problem. Full air corrects it and adds a number of safety and comfort benefits.

There is no comparison when driving and comparing a van with full air.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Air assist on the rear can:
-provide a bit of lift
-reduces sway, so cornering is better, crosswind has less effect and passing lorries is nowhere near as noticable
-may enable you to increase your payload (with new tyres and some paperwork)
-if you are riding really low, it can improve ride comfort, but if you are already frequently running on the bump-stops.

Full air suspension replacement provides similar benefits and far better on the comfort front, but it's also several times the price.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Air assist covers up a problem. Full air corrects it and adds a number of safety and comfort benefits.

I don’t think air assist covers a problem if you stay within the weight limits of the vehicle. It just assists what you have, improving the ride.

If the problems are so sever that the suspension needs to be completely removed and replaced with redesigned setup then I would question the complete vehicle conversion, and design.

I understand full air will give a superior ride, but at 4K for the rear, which you will never reclaim, it would need to be, but can’t believe that it should be required.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We went with air assist on our rear Alko following the explanation of what full entails.
The removal of the original torsion bars means you end up stranded with no suspension if you develop a fault. Our rear Alko was overwhelmed and at the end of its travel with little movement left. Introducing the the assist returned it to its proper height/travel and its made a huge difference. If it should fail we still have suspension to continue on our way.

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996

Agree with that comment totally. I drive to Spain twice a year and since having VB full air fitted 2 years ago have found driving much more relaxing.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
With full air the swinging arm and torsion bars are replaced with different ones.
The explanation I had from Mick at SAP was that two of three bars on each side are replaced with much lighter bars that are there only to facilitate the fixing of the new swinging arms that are necessary and that they provide no support.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The explanation I had from Mick at SAP was that two of three bars on each side are replaced with much lighter bars that are there only to facilitate the fixing of the new swinging arms that are necessary and that they provide no support.
Probably right as they are lighter bars and you are not supposed to drive more than 50 miles if the bellows collapses.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Mick told me he would remove my existing set up and replace it completely the full air set up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back