Thinking of tow a 'van with my 'van ! (1 Viewer)

Padders

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin SGX
Exp
I need some honest feedback and thought this might be the place to get it !

We have an Adria Twin camper based on the Ducato panel van, 6.4m long with the 150bhp engine. It is great as a day van and short trips but we'd like to tour Scotland and think that once loaded with bikes and dogs the camper would be a bit cosy for a full on Scottish road trip. One solution would be to hire a bigger MH but that might be a bit big to do daily driving once we get to Scotland so I wondered about hiring a caravan to tow behind us and give the accommodation space we need. I've towed before, but but that was a while a go and a much smaller rig so if I did decide to go ahead would want to do a towing course before hitting the road.

I've looked up the techy bits: my licence includes the B&E category, the max laden towing weight of the camper is 2,500kg, the towbar fitted is rated well above this and the caravan I was looking at is a twin axle van around 7m long weighing in at under 2,000kg so theory that all looks ok. But what I'd like to have is feedback and thoughts on how sensible this might be in reality - any one got any experience of doing this or thoughts about why it might be the worst idea ever ?! Cheers - Padders

Reactions: 68c

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have towed many caravans behind a panel van conversion. Makes a nice stable towing outfit, far better than the average car and caravan. The only thing is that some folks see a van towing a caravan and instantly think it must be travellers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've never towed a caravan behind a motorhome but I have towed a 1700kg twin axle caravan behind my 3ltr V6 diesel auto Chrysler weighing 2250kg.
Didnt know it was there unless you looked in the mirrors.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I’ve towed a twin axle caravan behind a Ducato ambulance. Now that does get some strange looks. We do it when working events. If asked whilst stopped for a brew. I say it’s NHS cut backs we have to take our station with us.
The Ducato pulls a twin axle caravan very easily. You’ll have no trouble.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
We toured and travelled on ferry to skye with 6.3 M panel can conversion and a bailey unicorn caravan towed great and plenty of room worked good for us

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Not sure about wilding with a caravan in tow but ideal to drop and visit.
If you don't try it how do you know ....... I wouldn't fancy it but swings and roundabouts if it was not working you could always leave the caravan somewhere but then you would be restricting your return route as I assume you would like to take it home..

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not really a lot of difference to towing a twin axle 2 tonne rated trailer loaded with a car? and a shed load of car parts. That was behind a Ducato Based Rapido. Went all the way to Spain with a similar unit behind 1st R-V?. Total unit mass just short of 7tonne.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What about hiring a trailer.
F1C24A43-83CA-4A61-898C-FF6BBDE8FB30.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Padders

Padders

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin SGX
Exp
I have towed many caravans behind a panel van conversion. Makes a nice stable towing outfit, far better than the average car and caravan. The only thing is that some folks see a van towing a caravan and instantly think it must be travellers
many thanks great to know this sort of outfit works well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Padders

Padders

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin SGX
Exp
I’ve towed a twin axle caravan behind a Ducato ambulance. Now that does get some strange looks. We do it when working events. If asked whilst stopped for a brew. I say it’s NHS cut backs we have to take our station with us.
The Ducato pulls a twin axle caravan very easily. You’ll have no trouble.
many thanks for the feedback - love the idea of a caravan on an ambulance !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Padders

Padders

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin SGX
Exp
We toured and travelled on ferry to skye with 6.3 M panel can conversion and a bailey unicorn caravan towed great and plenty of room worked good for us
Many thanks for the feedback, great to know the ferries worked well too. We were thinking upto Skye and across to the Hebridies

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Padders

Padders

Free Member
Jul 4, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin SGX
Exp
Not really a lot of difference to towing a twin axle 2 tonne rated trailer loaded with a car? and a shed load of car parts. That was behind a Ducato Based Rapido. Went all the way to Spain with a similar unit behind 1st R-V?. Total unit mass just short of 7tonne.
many thanks, great to know.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
For a year I use to tow a 12’ caravan with my Autotrail coachbuilt Motorhome. May seem strange but the caravan was for my elderly mother - we like are own space!!!! Easy tow.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Hi my van is 7.5m 3.8ton, I agreed to tow a friends keelboat to Southampton 1.2ton 7.5m. It towed great with 140hp, towing a caravan with a van will be more stable than with a car, just check your total length against weight before its classed as a “long vehicle” cannot remember if there is a 14 and 16meter long restriction.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would say No. If you plan on going to Scotland and on single track roads, there’s some very ignorant folk who will make you reverse. Some of the passing places aren’t that big.Not a good idea IMO

If your going to do it anyway have a watch here.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have towed various trailers and caravans with motorhomes, and to be honest it only works from A to B and staying in one place for a few days or more, touring it is more trouble than it's worth. 😀🤔

We live in a 6m panel van for 5 months with our small dog, the best thing is try a live with what you have, and see how you get on, this was the last time we towed a caravan going down to Spain and left it there. 😁 Bob.
001.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Much easier to tow with a van than a car but if you are not used to caravans twin axles can be a pig to maneuver on site although they are much more stable to tow than a single axle.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
many thanks for the feedback - love the idea of a caravan on an ambulance !
My son pulls a trailer behind his fiat ex ambulance, no problems, even fetched tractors in with it, but one problem I can see is if you happen to use a site , you are going to get charged twice, for a caravan but probably not for a trailer.

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I would say No. If you plan on going to Scotland and on single track roads, there’s some very ignorant folk who will make you reverse. Some of the passing places aren’t that big.Not a good idea IMO

If your going to do it anyway have a watch here.

Must admit there are some roads in Scotland I wouldn’t want to tow our little tiny smart car. The one time we had to reverse we had to unhitched it first. Would plan route carefully

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Think carefully about how you intend to 'holiday', if you like to move on every couple of days a caravan could seriously restrict where you can go and stop overnight, not to mention the cost to take it on the ferry across to the Hebrides. Perhaps it would be better to try staying in your camper for a couple of days at home to see how it feels with you all in there, it may also give you ideas as to how you can mitigate any issues you find before you go on holiday - just one condition ... no cheating by using the house for anything at all ... not even the loo! :giggle:

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
A lot of motorcycles racers use a van for their bikes & kit and tow a caravan for cooking & sleeping in at race meetings - works well

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Must admit there are some roads in Scotland I wouldn’t want to tow our little tiny smart car. The one time we had to reverse we had to unhitched it first. Would plan route carefully
It's very much easier to reverse a large caravan than a small toad. As a general rule, the larger the trailer in relation to the towing vehicle, the easier it is to reverse. The other thing that makes for easier reversing is a short overhang behind the rear axle of the towing vehicle. If it had the power, a Smart car would make a wonderfully manoeuvrable towing vehicle. :smiley: The only slight disadvantage of the 6.4m Ducato is that the towing hitch is about twice as far behind the rear axle in comparison to the 5.9m version, so you need to make smaller steering inputs & a use bit more anticipation when reversing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I hate towing. I’d rather stay in a hotel. You have to drive more slowly, with more attention and are restricted on where you can get lost. This will be better with a bigger tow vehicle, because it’s more stable, though.

I did it for almost ten years. I first took my daughter away in our caravan, on my own, when she was four weeks old (actually she‘s the reason I started. She couldn‘t feed lying down, and there was no practical way to do her night feeds in a tent) it’s alright to get somewhere and stay there for a couple of weeks, but I much prefer the wombling around we do in the motorhome. It’s SO much easier (alart from when we stay with relatives who are still tugging. They want to do a lot of day excursions, which are a pain)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back