May 12, 2015
totnes
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello

My name is Craig Whyte. I am 36 years old and have for the past two years thinking about buying a motorhome and moving into it full time. I am based in Totnes Devon. I work part time at the University Monday to Wednesday and the rest of the time work as a freelance filmmaker.

I am interested in buying an American RV type vehicle and have a budget of £15000 to spend on a motorhome. Something like the one below.
$_57.JPG

1. Does anyone own and live in an American RV and what are there experiences, ,good or bad?

2. Insurance companies to recommend?

3. Anyone who still works and lives full time in their motorhome?

There’s a local campsite that I can stay at for 42 per week/£168 a month otherwise I can stay every now and again at Totnes Industrial site for free.

Rent is too high these days and want my own home even if it’s on wheels. I spend £750 on rent every month at the moment including bills. Any advice would be great for a beginner.

Best Regards

Craig Whyte

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Craig and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

Sounds like a good plan! Lots of Funsters full time so will be able to give you all the advice you could possibly need!

Maybe you should have posted in the "Introduction" thread instead of the "Full Timers" thread and you would probably get a lot more replies. (y)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi Craig can't help with the full timing but welcome from just down the road in Plymouth good luck on your quest you may get more for your money overseas
Try looking (mobile.de
Germany
animated-gif-emoticons.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Craig, welcome to Fun, yes for full timing a RV is good but then also a good Winterised European Van could be worth looking at. Lots of information on here ask any questions you need, though the best investment you can make is the £10 annual membership for Fun then you can ask as many questions as you want and will save it many times over. Which ever van you buy in that price bracket check it out thoroughly for damp, buy a damp meter if necessary think that's the one thing that costs new members more than anything, finding damp after they have bought their van. The other thing is to make sure the layout works for you.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If your thinking of parking it for 42 weeks.. Get a Caravan and a car !!
Then have 10 weeks holiday somewhere else...

Maybe even worth doing as a trial to see how you get on living in that size space..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I lived in a van in the UK for years and years and never used campsites.

But I converted a panel van and it didn't look like a motorhome.

I parked where it was quiet or near where I had to be.

I found living in a van to be a great way of life and so affordable that I still do it now twenty years on...

JJ :cool:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
welcome to the fun best to talk to full timers like JJ Brewarydave ther are lodes of them on her
bill

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Better check you have the correct class on your driving licence to drive that weight of vehicle before you get carried away. You will probably need a C1 or even a full HGV licence for a larger motorhome or RV and a +E for a caravan.

You might also want to look at the big old Hymers and the like (in Germany where they will be much cheaper) rather than just American RVs. Don't do anything in a hurry, do all your homework first.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
there is some good advise. think hard before parting with your cash. but welcome to the site. and have fun.

Fatima Saysell

Free Member
May 15, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
We are not full timing just yet, but have been travelling for long periods of time mainly in France, Germany and Spain. When we go full time next year, we are moving abroad, as it is a lot easier to park for free and campsites, if needed, are much cheaper, as well as everything else. Flexibility is the key.

Good luck in your new home, wherever you end up! ;-)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I think you might find that British & European MoHos have much better fuel consumption which is something to consider. Why did you decide to choose an American RV?

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I don't think it's about consumption it's about SPACE and comfortabillaty. When full timing . There is a difrence in the way we move about . It's not the same as holiday back n forth .

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello and Welcome from just down the road in Paignton.

Look at lots of vehicles, sit in them, try the shower rooms for size. Look at the storage and where you'd have a work space. Unless you've got someone who can store some boxes for you, you'll need to carry summer as well as winter clothes, boots, shoes. It all adds up in space and weight.
Good insulation is essential for full timing.
Don't part with any money unless you've seen it, all its paperwork and I'd also get an HPI check. There are a LOT of scam adverts.

Good luck in your search.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you are staying in one place for months on end then an RV will be great, lots of space.

However when you have to go off site or are moving around a lot I would find an RV a pain to be honest.

I have been fulltiming for 6 years now, the last 4 and a half in a small panel van I converted myself.
I can't see myself ever moving into a house again to be honest.

Welcome to the club.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I just want you to know that I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous of your opening post ... REALLY jealous. What? Full timing?

NO. NOT THAT. I wanna be 36 again...

upload_2015-6-5_17-13-40.jpeg

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the forum. I think it has already been said re space versus fuel economy, but size can be a hinderance as well as a help. Parked up for long periods brakes and clutches tend to seize, larger vans are not so easy to wild park or go shopping in. Anyway lots of advice on here

Now come on Joy if you want to fulltime then go for it, nothing really stopping you.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If your thinking of parking it for 42 weeks.. Get a Caravan and a car !!
Then have 10 weeks holiday somewhere else...

Maybe even worth doing as a trial to see how you get on living in that size space..

I think he meant £42 for the week !

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think you might find that British & European MoHos have much better fuel consumption which is something to consider. Why did you decide to choose an American RV?

Rv gives far better living space

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You've got nothing but depreciation to loose ,buy wisely and you will loose sod all !
You could also buy a cheap run around to commute then take your HOUSE on holiday.
Go for it it you don't give it a go you'll never know !

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back