Thinking of fitting black tank instead of cassette. (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I’m just about to up-plate, but in any event I think the net increase will be around 40ish kg when full.

My gut feeling is that that is pretty low. I immediately thought 100kg. I could be wrong. And you could have masses of spare payload.

I know it's not nice to be negative but since someone has already said it, all those pipes to carry, all the poo to flush out of them, finding a place to flush, mechanicals to fail, makes carrying a cassette seem quite a nice idea.

And if/when it does go wrong, the sh1t really does hit the fan.

KISS

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes agree everyone is different, a bit like all the fancy contraptions to fill the fresh water, I just take s container and walk back to the van with it to empty it in
I suppose it can also depend on how fit you are as well as to what you prefer.

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
My gut feeling is that that is pretty low. I immediately thought 100kg. I could be wrong. And you could have masses of spare payload.

I know it's not nice to be negative but since someone has already said it, all those pipes to carry, all the poo to flush out of them, finding a place to flush, mechanicals to fail, makes carrying a cassette seem quite a nice idea.

And if/when it does go wrong, the sh1t really does hit the fan.

KISS

It needs further calcs, but back of a fag packet, a 60l tank will be broadly (ish) the same weight or a couple of kilos more than the cassette. There’s a net 40l increase in volume when full, say 40kgs (no idea of the relative density of sewage compared to water!) Plus the weight of the 1inch hose and the pump... maybe 10kg max. So maybe the increase is closer to 50kg overall.

When up-plated we should have plenty of payload when just the two of us.

I get the point about failures. But a well flushed system connected to grey tank too should be much more convenient, and if I design it so the macerator/pump is easily accessed/removed I should be able to minimise that occasional hassle. I’m certainly not getting into decanting it into buckets as someone suggested!

The Memsahib has authorised the project once the payload is sorted... mind you she has nothing to do with the current cassette anyway!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you are thinking of carrying another vessel or equipment to empty, why not have two cassettes as we do. Gives you time to find an emptying point at your leisure.

Our blank tank used to last ten days, our two cassettes last six days.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
It needs further calcs, but back of a fag packet, a 60l tank will be broadly (ish) the same weight or a couple of kilos more than the cassette. There’s a net 40l increase in volume when full, say 40kgs (no idea of the relative density of sewage compared to water!) Plus the weight of the 1inch hose and the pump... maybe 10kg max. So maybe the increase is closer to 50kg overall.

When up-plated we should have plenty of payload when just the two of us.

I get the point about failures. But a well flushed system connected to grey tank too should be much more convenient, and if I design it so the macerator/pump is easily accessed/removed I should be able to minimise that occasional hassle. I’m certainly not getting into decanting it into buckets as someone suggested!

The Memsahib has authorised the project once the payload is sorted... mind you she has nothing to do with the current cassette anyway!!
The only things that I can see you have missed are the mounting brackets for the new tank and pump, the connections needed to get from the bowl to the new tank and the connections from your grey waste to the macerator inlet.

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
If you are thinking of carrying another vessel or equipment to empty, why not have two cassettes as we do. Gives you time to find an emptying point at your leisure.

Our blank tank used to last ten days, our two cassettes last six days.

I had thought about that as an option, but if I can I just want to avoid trundling the cassette to the disposal point every day or two, lifting it, emptying it, shaking it, rinsing it, rinsing it again, and trundling it back.

It’s not a huge issue, I’d just like to avoid it.

I never found pumped dumping an issue when RVing. We are already dumping grey water when we leave sites, adding in black doesn’t seem to much of a stretch.

I guess as with all things, it’s horses for courses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
The only things that I can see you have missed are the mounting brackets for the new tank and pump, the connections needed to get from the bowl to the new tank and the connections from your grey waste to the macerator inlet.

Yep - probably all within the 10kg for hose and pump.

When I do it (probably a September job) I’ll post a thread with accurate weights. It may be of interest to others.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back