Thinking of converting a transit! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
S

Shazmart

Free Member
May 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently between va
Exp
8 yrs
Take what you want from this.
I drove various vans for work. Last two was trafic LWB. Good vans, but the last one, dropped two injectors that broke the head on the extraction process. Vivaro gave me 0 problems but to small. Had two transits before, one lwb. No problems, solid like a tractor. Our window fitters have two new fiats and one Citroen. Utterly tin and no soul. Our Brickie has a transit and is sound but still lack of soul. We hired a master, and then a movano. Specifically to see if is a good choice for our conversion. Surprise came when I tested a new crafter. This edition is made by VW, not the old merk-vw. It blue me right away, quality of drive, power, gizmos that really work, doors that don’t sound like a tin, euro 6 engine, 2.0l 140bhp and a respectable 30-40mpg fully converted. We settled for a 2018 used 18k miles, lwb- high roof, trend line, air con, and few add ons. I did the conversion myself, to a personal high spec and still came ahead on money if I would of bought a converted one.
I still can drive it like a car, and crush huge distance if needed, but in the same time, I can enjoy the luxury of a Motorhome. The metal in the body work is quite thick, well built, quality everywhere. The only hiccup I had was a recall for a software to do with the ad blue, and upgraded fuel filter. Now is almost on 45k miles, serviced by VW and still in warranty. Very happy with the choice, and peace of mind with VW cover worldwide.

OP
OP
S

Shazmart

Free Member
May 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Currently between va
Exp
8 yrs
Lots of interesting info thanks. We are looking 2017 onwards transits as they fit into our budget. Like the VW but they seem to be more expensive. We're getting a lot of useful feenack from our post and its interesting to hear everyone's stories.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Our first camper was a DIY Toyota Hi-Ace minibus, a grey import from Japan which had previously been used as a Tokyo taxi. We originally bought it to use as a base when kayaking (at the time our kids were seriously into competitive kayak slalom - one still is). There is nothing like freshly made hot drinks/ soup in the winter when you are cold and hungry. Much better than tea or coffee or even hot chocolate from a flask.
Love your new avatar, will the duck stop for a rest ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back