Thinking of changing to Sky Mobile. Is it any good in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Been with Vodafone for ages and always get good coverage in France but now they are going to enforce rules that say you can't use more in the EU than at home.
As I rarely use the mobile at home and really only use it for data when away in the van we are paying a chunk of cash each month for just the time in the van.
I rather like the Sky system of rolling over the unused data, plus we can watch F1 and cricket without using too much data.
The question to you Sky Mobile users is, how does the O2 network perform in France, which is where we spend a lot of time, and do Sky limit the amount of date used in the EU?

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Would they not cut it like they are saying you can't use the sky tv in europe now, or did i misread that ?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
why dont you just use more data at home - ive started connecting up my phone as a hotspot and watching streaming tv through it and its often a better signal than broadband !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
why dont you just use more data at home - ive started connecting up my phone as a hotspot and watching streaming tv through it and its often a better signal than broadband !
I had thought of doing that but I have fast and unlimited broadband at home that is easier to use and faster than our rural phone signal.
Also, I'm paying £27 per month to Vodafone for a service I only use for a few months of the year and in 2020 hardly at all. The roll over of data by Sky is attractive and I could take a much lower price contract and build a 'bank' of data for when we can travel again.

Richard.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Would they not cut it like they are saying you can't use the sky tv in europe now, or did i misread that ?
Not sure about not being able to use Sky in Europe.
Been searching through the Sky T&C's and can't see anything. Mind you, going through T&C's is a bit like wading through treacle.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Been searching through the Sky T&C's and can't see anything. Mind you, going through T&C's is a bit like wading through treacle.
Ive been using it for the last couple of years, had no problems with it, coverage is pretty good, havent used my 3 mifi since Ive had it.

We re both now on it - £10pcm each unlimited talk and txts 8gb data each but on one account so we can use the saved data (over 100gb) on either phone

Weekend before last my Plusnet fibre broadband went down, so I tethered to the phone (4g) and it really did seem faster.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Ive been using it for the last couple of years, had no problems with it, coverage is pretty good, havent used my 3 mifi since Ive had it.

We re both now on it - £10pcm each unlimited talk and txts 8gb data each but on one account so we can use the saved data (over 100gb) on either phone

Weekend before last my Plusnet fibre broadband went down, so I tethered to the phone (4g) and it really did seem faster.
Thanks for that. (y)
Have you used Sky Mobile across the water? If so how was the coverage there?

Richard.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks for that. (y)
Have you used Sky Mobile across the water? If so how was the coverage there?

Richard.
Yes I was meaning across the water, Spain is really good because O2 are owned by Telefonica, but also Germany France benelux etc. Only problem Ive had was in Luxembourg where they had a glitch and I couldnt call Luxembourg numbers which is now fixed.

Jon

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I was meaning across the water, Spain is really good because O2 are owned by Telefonica, but also Germany France benelux etc. Only problem Ive had was in Luxembourg where they had a glitch and I couldnt call Luxembourg numbers which is now fixed.

Jon
That is just what I was hoping to hear.
Many thanks. (y)

Richard.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
n Broken Link Removed published by the satellite broadcaster, Sky has warned all customers that from January 1, 2021, they will no longer be able to stream content from Sky outside of the UK using Sky Go, Sky Kids, Sky Sports, Sky Sports Mobile TV, or Sky Sports Box Office apps. That means those on holiday will no longer be able to catch-up on the latest episode of Love Island, stream a football fixture, or keep the kids entertained with a Paw Patrol boxset at the airport before the flight home.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...From-Europe-Cant-Stream-Not-Working-Brexit-UK

Deleted User
Still no answer to whether Sky limit usage in the EU now though!

I have used Vodafone for extended periods in the EU for 3 years without problem, different now because of you know what, Sky maybe different now also.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Before the EU agreed the sharing of video copyright etc I could not watch SkyGo in Europe, I would imagine its gone back to that now. However this time I will have a VPN

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
n Broken Link Removed published by the satellite broadcaster, Sky has warned all customers that from January 1, 2021, they will no longer be able to stream content from Sky outside of the UK using Sky Go, Sky Kids, Sky Sports, Sky Sports Mobile TV, or Sky Sports Box Office apps. That means those on holiday will no longer be able to catch-up on the latest episode of Love Island, stream a football fixture, or keep the kids entertained with a Paw Patrol boxset at the airport before the flight home.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...From-Europe-Cant-Stream-Not-Working-Brexit-UK
Thanks for that Richard.
That is a bugger. So no F1 when we are away apart from highlights on C4.
Can't see the reasons for Sky to stop their customers getting the content they have paid for because they are not part of the EU agreement. The EU rules say that content should be available everywhere in the EU but does that also say that content from outside has to be stopped?

Based on that information I might have to re-think my options.

Richard.

Deleted User
Thanks for that Richard.
That is a bugger. So no F1 when we are away apart from highlights on C4.
Can't see the reasons for Sky to stop their customers getting the content they have paid for because they are not part of the EU agreement. The EU rules say that content should be available everywhere in the EU but does that also say that content from outside has to be stopped?

Based on that information I might have to re-think my options.

Richard.

Not sure about Sky mobile but when using all other UK based systems when roaming in the EU BBC iplayer and the like think that you are in the UK and allow streaming.

That has not changed and I would assume that Sky is the same, if you could stream it on Vodafone in Europe then I would that it will be possible on Sky mobile.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Time we all reseached VPNS OR buying a suitable european sim card that is compatible with our phones

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Time we all reseached VPNS OR buying a suitable european sim card that is compatible with our phones
It shouldnt be necessary for data as all the providers have frequently stated that they would not be changing it and tbh it would be commercial folly for one to do it.

I don't use sky TV, my earlier remarks were concerning Sky Mobile only. I used to watch f1 on RTL and could get it almost anywhere on Astra 1 but have been told that that is ending this year anyway and live F1 will only be available on Pay to view TV.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just making the point that if some uk programmes cant be transmitted through EU systems then possible solutions to consider is the use of VPN,S .

Thinking about it more, though, an EU sim in a uk phone wouldn't solve the problem as it’s the GB /EU interface that is causing the change.

Deleted User
Just making the point that if some uk programmes cant be transmitted through EU systems then possible solutions to consider is the use of VPN,S .

Thinking about it more, though, an EU sim in a uk phone wouldn't solve the problem as it’s the GB /EU interface that is causing the change.
Don't think that there is such a thing as a UK phone, if a phone has a EU sim in it then it is connected to an EU network and a VPN will mask that as they have in the past.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back