Thinking of buying a Pilote (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
We've found a P650GJ which has our favoured layout - twin single beds.
It's a 2019 model which hasn't been registered yet and is a fiver under £55k, which is what we were probably going to have to shell out to get a 4 year old Burstner - which was our first choice but they're like hens' tusks these days.
I'd welcome any thoughts on this model, or Pilote in general?
Thanks

OP
OP
Norrie59
Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
I've put a holding deposit on it and we'll nip down on Saturday and see what's what.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Norrie59
Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
The deal was done and we'll be collecting it (the twin low single bed model) on October 1st....Covid permitting. It'll hardly qualify as essential travel so we'll bide our time.
Signature Motorhomes were every bit as good as the reports I'd read - but the proof of the pudding is in the PDI-ing. I'm optimistic.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The deal was done and we'll be collecting it (the twin low single bed model) on October 1st....Covid permitting. It'll hardly qualify as essential travel so we'll bide our time.
Signature Motorhomes were every bit as good as the reports I'd read - but the proof of the pudding is in the PDI-ing. I'm optimistic.

We'll done indeed and enjoy your new van. We had the 740GJ and loved it.

If you've got a moment then stick a VB Air Suspension kit on the back. It'll only set you back c.£300 if you can fit it yourself - well worth it for improved ride performance.

Enjoy :)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
We got ours from Signature can't be faulted for customer service we had to wait for parts ( cracked windscreen) due to factory in lockdown) but were kept posted and offered another van to use if we were going away, got the two salesmen (the brothers) home phone numbers and Alan the Service managers home phones in case there were any probs and told its a 24/7 response ,,,,were dubious but the leisure battery packed up and on a Sunday ( Previous M/H did the same!) Phoned up and were asked if we needed a hotel or hire car and the battery was was replaced first thing Monday morning, thats service, never been or used them before but went a a recommendation and would do again Big thumbs up for them, pity about where they are as it can be off putting! ( Not rough but on an industrial estate)

OP
OP
Norrie59
Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
Well the collection of the Pilote went ok, although our collection from the station was forgotten about, but what the heck, 15 beer tokens in a taxi sorted that.
I'd asked for a few things to be done and most had but the carpets had been overlooked and had to be looked for. The additional mains socket not been provided either and to avoid a third visit (home is 200-odd miles north) it was suggested the Dicksons of Perth (a Pilote dealer) could do the job for us and Signature would then pay them. Dicksons' first question was, 'Did you buy it from us?' and then informed us that they may have time to tackle the job sometime next year. Not the first time I've heard (and been offended by) that phrase.
I'll do it myself.
We can't fathom how to assemble the 3rd bed though. I understand dropping the table height and fitting the two additional legs but that leaves the area uneven and makes me wonder if there are padded sections or wee mattresses missing.
Overall we are really very pleased indeed with the vehicle and can't wait to bung it on a ferry and go exploring!

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
It’s in the Pilote booklet. You should have received two extra bedding cushions, one of which has two legs and hooks onto the edge of the side bench seat and extends towards the door, the other fits one the table when it’s in place on the wall bracket.
I have so far fitted an outside bbq point, a socket in the garage and a 12v strip light above the door. Also changed the idmedia unit for a Kenwood with a dedicated Dashcam that can be viewed whilst driving.
Fitted a side exiting waste pipe to combat the central waste water disposal being awkward to position over a manhole. Installed a mifi system for the smart tv. And lastly a flight seat next to the entrance door.
I think that concludes my upgrades.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Well the collection of the Pilote went ok, although our collection from the station was forgotten about, but what the heck, 15 beer tokens in a taxi sorted that.
I'd asked for a few things to be done and most had but the carpets had been overlooked and had to be looked for. The additional mains socket not been provided either and to avoid a third visit (home is 200-odd miles north) it was suggested the Dicksons of Perth (a Pilote dealer) could do the job for us and Signature would then pay them. Dicksons' first question was, 'Did you buy it from us?' and then informed us that they may have time to tackle the job sometime next year. Not the first time I've heard (and been offended by) that phrase.
I'll do it myself.
We can't fathom how to assemble the 3rd bed though. I understand dropping the table height and fitting the two additional legs but that leaves the area uneven and makes me wonder if there are padded sections or wee mattresses missing.
Overall we are really very pleased indeed with the vehicle and can't wait to bung it on a ferry and go exploring!
Can’t help you with the 3rd bed as ours doesn’t have one but we also have the P650GJ low bed model and it’s been relatively problem free in 18 months and 7,000 miles
Just back from a month long trip to Germany and everything worked as it should , we are pleased with it overall
A1A089FD-56D3-4296-8018-C1284A15532D.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We'll done indeed and enjoy your new van. We had the 740GJ and loved it.

If you've got a moment then stick a VB Air Suspension kit on the back. It'll only set you back c.£300 if you can fit it yourself - well worth it for improved ride performance.

Enjoy :)
is that the VB semi-air suspension kit or VB full-air

OP
OP
Norrie59
Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
It’s in the Pilote booklet. You should have received two extra bedding cushions, one of which has two legs and hooks onto the edge of the side bench seat and extends towards the door, the other fits one the table when it’s in place on the wall bracket.
I have so far fitted an outside bbq point, a socket in the garage and a 12v strip light above the door. Also changed the idmedia unit for a Kenwood with a dedicated Dashcam that can be viewed whilst driving.
Fitted a side exiting waste pipe to combat the central waste water disposal being awkward to position over a manhole. Installed a mifi system for the smart tv. And lastly a flight seat next to the entrance door.
I think that concludes my upgrades.
Thanks for that - I've got the bedding cushion with the two legs but not the other one so I'll call Signature.
Do you have a lower wall bracket for mounting the table at bed height? We only have one - at eating height.
If it's not too much trouble I'd really like to see how you did the side exit waste pipe as I can foresee problems positioning the vehicle accurately.
Ours came with the jump seat at the door you mention but I don't think I'd trust it to support my carcass as its only mounted on the end kitchen panel without any additional internal bracing. It's a great foot stool though!
I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be an on board SatNav but I can live with our old stand alone device meantime.
Next up will be a new TV and sort out mobile MiFi to feed it.
Thanks again for you input.
Norrie

OP
OP
Norrie59
Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
Can’t help you with the 3rd bed as ours doesn’t have one but we also have the P650GJ low bed model and it’s been relatively problem free in 18 months and 7,000 miles
Just back from a month long trip to Germany and everything worked as it should , we are pleased with it overall
View attachment 432223
That's great hear!
I'm impressed with the build quality and especially the layout, given it's only 6.5 metres long.
I see you have a satellite dish fitted - does that work well in Europe?

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
40mm pipe and elbow the outside diameter of the elbow is 43mm and internal 40mm and I glued it in the waste tank outlet using solvent glue all from Screwfix, I took the collar off the push fit fitting and it fits nice and secure in to the outlet, then used some strap to support the straight piece as it exits the van, I have cut it back more than the picture added an 90 degree elbow with some flexi waste pipe so I can use it on a full service pitch.
I have not glued the elbow at the other end which allows me to angle it as required

Attachments

• 86F7DA46-55D7-481E-A491-1D12F8DE78AB.jpeg
    86F7DA46-55D7-481E-A491-1D12F8DE78AB.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 850E15EF-C0E9-42B4-A845-A3B170515B20.jpeg
    850E15EF-C0E9-42B4-A845-A3B170515B20.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
That's great hear!
I'm impressed with the build quality and especially the layout, given it's only 6.5 metres long.
I see you have a satellite dish fitted - does that work well in Europe?
Yes I can receive the mainstream channels well down into France they start to fade out just south of Pau and on the east side of France around Nimes
When Spain I switch to Intelsat 901 and change receivers

Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Thanks for that - I've got the bedding cushion with the two legs but not the other one so I'll call Signature.
Do you have a lower wall bracket for mounting the table at bed height? We only have one - at eating height.
If it's not too much trouble I'd really like to see how you did the side exit waste pipe as I can foresee problems positioning the vehicle accurately.
Ours came with the jump seat at the door you mention but I don't think I'd trust it to support my carcass as its only mounted on the end kitchen panel without any additional internal bracing. It's a great foot stool though!
I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be an on board SatNav but I can live with our old stand alone device meantime.
Next up will be a new TV and sort out mobile MiFi to feed it.
Thanks again for you input.
Norrie
Here you can see the lower support for the table.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Norrie59
Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the helpful information and images - I really appreciate it all and I'll be re-routing my waste exit for sure!
Sadly the lower bracket for mounting the table at bed height hasn't been fitted and the other mini-mattress that covers it is indeed missing.
As I said in my post above (September 21st), "the proof of the pudding is in the PDI-ing."

OP
OP
Norrie59
Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
The vehicle was bought with that 3rd bed in mind - for our grandson - and it was sold to us as having it, so no it's not the end of the world but it's not right.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
is that the VB semi-air suspension kit or VB full-air

Hi Neil, my apologies for a slow response but I've been a bit preoccupied.

Yes, it's the VB semi-air kit.

Take a look at post #'s 132, 137 and 141 of the following link. It relates to the DIY fitting of the VB Semi Air system to a 740GJ so the exact same setup as yours.

All the best,

Andrew

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

Take a look at post #'s 132, 137 and 141 of the following link. It relates to the DIY fitting of the VB Semi Air system to a 740GJ so the exact same setup as yours.

All the best,

Andrew
Many Thanks Andrew

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

All the best,

Andrew
Forgot to ask is it the base kit or the comfort kit you’ve fitted

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I hope the link works but it should be this one Neil:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=253585737264

I'm travelling down the country at the moment but I'll be back online later should you have any questions.

It's fantastic value if you can fit it yourself

All the best,

Andrew
found it Andrew and ordered a kit , up a bit in price at £369 but still good value
thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back