Thinking of buying a Globecar... (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Any thoughts on this?
Main draw is size, insulation (skiing) and layout.
Pros and cons anybody?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Anyone seen any for sale?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We are happy with ours. For skiing you would need the waste water system insulating and heating , but its not a major job. If buying new you can upgrade the heating to the 6KW version if required.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Do you need Left or Right hand drive?
New or used?
There are a few new ones ready for delivery here in Belgium.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Used and right or left hand considered.
Thanks

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are happy with ours. For skiing you would need the waste water system insulating and heating , but its not a major job. If buying new you can upgrade the heating to the 6KW version if required.
Ah i didnt realise that. We'll need it ready to drive to the snow so maybe I'll have to find one that's been done. Good to know thanks

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Globecar are probably the best build quality in a van conversion for their price point & have clever designs with lots of storage. For anyone considering one don't forget there is the Summit model with a clever bathroom layout (available used & new) if importing & details of good value special edition, high spec. model the Globecar Summit 600 Plus here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...n-van-conversion-high-spec-good-price.166989/ (y)
Know a lot of owners use them for skiing trips but as mentioned above adding winterisation is a good idea.
Hard to find used Globecars in UK but some on German website Broken Link Removed but search under Poessl too as same thing just different decals & more widely available in Europe.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hmmmm ... errrrrrr .... hmmmmm ... now then, what to say .....????

We've had some 'daft' things go wrong with our camper but the only major thing has been the cracked shower tray however I believe this was a build fault with our specific van (and a few others but not many) as there appears to be a support piece missing rather than a fault that affects them all.

I can't knock the van itself as it has proved to be very good in terms of durability and ease of use, no issues with using it in sub-zero temperatures at all, or even in hot weather; the heater does a brilliant job and it doesn't take long to warm up and keep the heat well so it must have a fairly good level of insulation as it's certainly better than the Autocruise Accent PVC we had previously.

If you can buy abroad you'll get one a lot cheaper than in the UK but this will depend on what layout you want as some are more popular in the UK so availability on the used market could determine where you get one from.

I wouldn't overly worry about having the external waste tank insulated/heated as a lot of people who use theirs for skiing leave the tap open and let the water go straight out into a bucket which they then dispose of - even if it freezes it can easily be 'plopped' out.

You can also keep them even more snug by making some internal padded covers for the habitation windows too (similar to those you can buy for the cab windows but using a thinner padded material to make them easy to store - they also work well in hot weather too to keep the inside cool). Also a thermal backed curtain inside the rear doors helps so that if you have to open them to access the rear underbed area you don't let all the heat out.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Where did you get yours from @Minxy Girl ? I'm.having trouble even finding one in the UK? I was hoping for a,quick purchase so i can go off and find the snow.... i dont really want to have to buy from Germany. Is there an english dealer ?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
SMC at Newark would probably be your best starting point.

There is a winter pack available. The main components are (or were 4 years ago) an insulated screen for the inside of the rear doors & a 12v heater for the waste tank. The fresh water tank is internal. Although the waste tank heater is 12v, it's only really usable if you are on EHU, otherwise you will quickly have flat batteries. The standard insulation is good, but there are a few corners where you could stuff a bit extra in.

While I haven't looked in the last 12 months, I've yet to see anything else I would swap ours for. What's more, the wife agrees with me. :rolleyes: @Minxy Girl has said just about everything else you need to know.

Like any Fiat Ducato based van, traction is not brilliant, so if you want to spend much time moving about on the snow, really good M+S tyres, probably supplemented by snow chains, are essential.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where did you get yours from @Minxy Girl ? I'm.having trouble even finding one in the UK? I was hoping for a,quick purchase so i can go off and find the snow.... i dont really want to have to buy from Germany. Is there an english dealer ?

Ours came from SMC but there are few places to buy them, also a few on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...TRC0.H0.Xglobecar.TRS0&_nkw=globecar&_sacat=0

Make sure you scroll down the page as for some reason there are listings which haven't got Globecar in the main title ... those by JCLeisure for example ... daft or what!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When you've been to SMC make sure you come back on here and tell us about it BEFORE you agree to buy one ... just so we can give you some 'tips' ... :whistle:

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. Help very much appreciated .
I just spoke to Alistair who was very helpful. I'n tempted to do a trade in for sheer ease but obviously I'd be quids down....

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
What is their after service like?

@Jac Sprat The after service that I’ve had from SMC has been brilliant, the fridge was faulty from new and within a few weeks they had my van in and fitted a new fridge.
I’ve been back since twice with minor faults and sorted to my satisfaction, If I was buying another van I would definitely deal with SMC again.

John.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We also have a Globecar Campscout which we really love, it as a 2metre long king size bed with the same amount of storage beneath, I’ve had it uprated to 4100 kg and this week had hydraulic levellers fitted,this is our 6th van in 12 years 4 of which have been coach built and our Campscout is the best of the lot to us.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What is their after service like?
You might want to do a search for stuff I've posted ...

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We are also Globecar fans
We have the Campscout Revolution which has the lifting rear bed and extra head room which we were particularly after.
Certainly more choice if your willing to head to Germany they are a very common van over there.. Wasn't our choice but a few on here have bought abroad without to much hassle.
Also lots of info on the Possl forum just use Google translate

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
We are on our third Globecar, all brand new, and have been very pleased with every one. We bought the first and the current one from SMC, Newark and we imported the second one from Germany. I doubt very much that we would import again but if we do buy another van it would be a Globecar.

After sales has been very good and the quality of the vans has been exceptional.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have just collected our Globecar Campscout Revolution it’s a 2015 model and seems very good. We had the control for the electronic bed moved to the inside, (where it is on the new models) and this suits us much better. We were also looking for the manual but all we have are the various instruction booklets, is this normal as there is always a time when you need to check the manual.

We have noticed that the locking assembly for the fridge is broken. Can anyone suggest where we can get a replacement it’s the half that fits on the fridge door?

We are looking forward to trying everything but if there are any tips you Globecar owners can offer we would be grateful.

Ginny and Mike

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Yes, Globecar definitely a good choice. They were on our shortlist, when we were looking for a PVC. We ended up buying a Wildax, but it was a close thing.
Also known as Pössl in Germany, I think.
One of the things that made us choose the Wildax rather than Globecar was dealing directly with a UK converter who was willing to make modifications for us during the build rather than dealing with just a dealer who seemed to be willing to say anything in order to make the sale.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We were also looking for the manual but all we have are the various instruction booklets, is this normal as there is always a time when you need to check the manual.
Our 2013 Campscout came with a big A4 ringbound manual. To be honest, for anyone who's owned a motorhome before, it's not going to tell you an awful lot that you won't know already, despite being 50 or 60 pages.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Thank you very much John, we have spent most of the day 'messing about in Moby' so I've just seen your post.

We couldn't get the heating working at first but after ringing the dealer he talked us through everything. Our one and only complaint is that we aren't really tall enough to benefit from the extra height as we cant reach the light switch on the roof or the strap which keeps the toilet blind in place!!! we will have to buy a folding stool.

Mike is going to spend the next hour or two going through the manual, thanks again for your help.

Ginny and Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back