Thinking of buying a Globecar...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Any thoughts on this?
    Main draw is size, insulation (skiing) and layout.
    Pros and cons anybody?

2. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,660
  3. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Anyone seen any for sale?

4. jezport

jezport Funster

Ratings:
    +2,647
    We are happy with ours. For skiing you would need the waste water system insulating and heating , but its not a major job. If buying new you can upgrade the heating to the 6KW version if required.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Mel

Mel Funster

Ratings:
    +3,582
    Do you need Left or Right hand drive?
    New or used?
    There are a few new ones ready for delivery here in Belgium.

6. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Used and right or left hand considered.
    Thanks

7. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Ah i didnt realise that. We'll need it ready to drive to the snow so maybe I'll have to find one that's been done. Good to know thanks

8. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Ratings:
    +4,364
    Globecar are probably the best build quality in a van conversion for their price point & have clever designs with lots of storage. For anyone considering one don't forget there is the Summit model with a clever bathroom layout (available used & new) if importing & details of good value special edition, high spec. model the Globecar Summit 600 Plus here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...n-van-conversion-high-spec-good-price.166989/ (y)
    Know a lot of owners use them for skiing trips but as mentioned above adding winterisation is a good idea.
    Hard to find used Globecars in UK but some on German website https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?vc=Motorhome but search under Poessl too as same thing just different decals & more widely available in Europe.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,561
    Hmmmm ... errrrrrr .... hmmmmm ... now then, what to say .....????

We've had some 'daft' things go wrong with our camper but the only major thing has been the cracked shower tray however I believe this was a build fault with our specific van (and a few others but not many) as there appears to be a support piece missing rather than a fault that affects them all.

I can't knock the van itself as it has proved to be very good in terms of durability and ease of use, no issues with using it in sub-zero temperatures at all, or even in hot weather; the heater does a brilliant job and it doesn't take long to warm up and keep the heat well so it must have a fairly good level of insulation as it's certainly better than the Autocruise Accent PVC we had previously.

If you can buy abroad you'll get one a lot cheaper than in the UK but this will depend on what layout you want as some are more popular in the UK so availability on the used market could determine where you get one from.

I wouldn't overly worry about having the external waste tank insulated/heated as a lot of people who use theirs for skiing leave the tap open and let the water go straight out into a bucket which they then dispose of - even if it freezes it can easily be 'plopped' out.

You can also keep them even more snug by making some internal padded covers for the habitation windows too (similar to those you can buy for the cab windows but using a thinner padded material to make them easy to store - they also work well in hot weather too to keep the inside cool). Also a thermal backed curtain inside the rear doors helps so that if you have to open them to access the rear underbed area you don't let all the heat out.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Where did you get yours from @Minxy Girl ? I'm.having trouble even finding one in the UK? I was hoping for a,quick purchase so i can go off and find the snow.... i dont really want to have to buy from Germany. Is there an english dealer ?

11. gerry mcg

gerry mcg Funster

Ratings:
    +1,368
    http://www.globecar.co.uk/dealers.php

12. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ratings:
    +3,444
    SMC at Newark would probably be your best starting point.

There is a winter pack available. The main components are (or were 4 years ago) an insulated screen for the inside of the rear doors & a 12v heater for the waste tank. The fresh water tank is internal. Although the waste tank heater is 12v, it's only really usable if you are on EHU, otherwise you will quickly have flat batteries. The standard insulation is good, but there are a few corners where you could stuff a bit extra in.

While I haven't looked in the last 12 months, I've yet to see anything else I would swap ours for. What's more, the wife agrees with me. :rolleyes: @Minxy Girl has said just about everything else you need to know.

Like any Fiat Ducato based van, traction is not brilliant, so if you want to spend much time moving about on the snow, really good M+S tyres, probably supplemented by snow chains, are essential.

• Like it Like it x 2
  13. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +27,561
    Ours came from SMC but there are few places to buy them, also a few on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...TRC0.H0.Xglobecar.TRS0&_nkw=globecar&_sacat=0

Make sure you scroll down the page as for some reason there are listings which haven't got Globecar in the main title ... those by JCLeisure for example ... daft or what!

14. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Thanjs. Just discovered SMC. Quite near Norwich too

15. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +27,561
    When you've been to SMC make sure you come back on here and tell us about it BEFORE you agree to buy one ... just so we can give you some 'tips' ... :whistle:

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Thanks. Help very much appreciated .
    I just spoke to Alistair who was very helpful. I'n tempted to do a trade in for sheer ease but obviously I'd be quids down....

17. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    What is their after service like?

18. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,119
    @Jac Sprat The after service that I’ve had from SMC has been brilliant, the fridge was faulty from new and within a few weeks they had my van in and fitted a new fridge.
    I’ve been back since twice with minor faults and sorted to my satisfaction, If I was buying another van I would definitely deal with SMC again.

John.

• Like it Like it x 3
  19. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,119
    We also have a Globecar Campscout which we really love, it as a 2metre long king size bed with the same amount of storage beneath, I’ve had it uprated to 4100 kg and this week had hydraulic levellers fitted,this is our 6th van in 12 years 4 of which have been coach built and our Campscout is the best of the lot to us.

John.

• Like it Like it x 2
  20. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Ratings:
    +1,101
    Sounds good cheers