Thinking of buying a B654. Any advice or tips (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi all

I have been looking for a replacement van, and this one seems to tick all my boxes, except a garage. The model i am considering is below

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervan...to-2.8l-diesel-100bhp-6-berth-2-tr/1335433278

The dealer is in West Sussex, and i live in the Midlands so it is a long way away to view. Do you think the price is reasonable. It doesn't have solar or refillable lpg which i would want, so need to factor that cost in. I have never owned a Hymer, but like their looks. Are there any issues to look out for.

It has a double floor, which is essential for me, and a large fridge freezer, which I like. Do the lockers access the underfloor, or is it taken up by water tanks. Is the payload an issue, as it is 3.5 tonne. I have the older licence so can drive up to 7.5 tonne.
TIA

Karen

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks good,
it would be 128bhp not 100bhp as listed.
I’m sure it could be up rated, we had our B584 upped from 3500 to 3850kg, we sent email to Hymer Germany and the did paper work exercise for £200.
It’s the same Hymer model @Northernraider has.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cannot use the toilet !!! so that`s got to be worth a few quid off.:doh:

Nice looking van.... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cannot use the toilet !!! so that`s got to be worth a few quid off.:doh:

Nice looking van.... (y)

You had me stumped for a while then realised what you where on about:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Appears to be a reasonable price but that's the dealer on the A23 I've only ever seen poor reviews on them.
At 3500kg you will probably need to uprate it to 3850 to get a useable payload. One known problem is underside of the rear floor behind the rear wheels can be a bit soft due to water penitration but not too difficult to fix.
Also I'd be a bit concerned about the low mileage means it's spent a lot of it's life sitting around which is not good.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had a B674 and it was plated 3.9 tonnes but with just the two of us with full fuel and water (and clothes etc) it weighed in at 3590kg so it might be tight on weight. The outside lockers access the underfloor space and the rear locker accesses under the bed. If you need a pair of eyes on before you travel down let me know - its about 15 mins away from me.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had one for 6 years and @Ambilkate has one.
Pay for a full hab check done by an independent, including fridge, gas, water everything.
The bathroom sink tends to crack around the plug hole.
Ensure the dining table locks down, as it makes a comfy double bed.
There are 2 metal supports for when the table is down, that sit vertically to support the table on the floor.
These may be stored under one of the sofas.
Ensure the drop down bed works ok. You should be able to lift it back up with one finger. There should be a ladder to get up as well.
They were 3.9 t, not 3.5.
Should be an external sticker by the hab door giving vin and axel weights.
Front of cab on roof can sometimes allow damp to come in.
I had a new 5th gear fitted which gave 60 mph at 2000 revs rather than 40 mph. Its a genuine fiat part.
Also had it remapped as was sluggish in overtaking, and made a huge difference.
Im surprised they are not putting it on ebay or autotrader to get a bigger audience.
You can check mot history free online.
Ensure cam belt and pump changes done, or else factor in cost.
This layout is difficult to find, and in my opinion, works well.
There is a hymer owners group on facebook which may be helpful.
Also, only 2 travel seatbelts on front captain seats.
Mot runs out may 2019.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Does anyone know whether an electric bike would fit in the locker, if the handlebars were folded down? I have sent a list of further questions to the dealer, so thanks for your input, especially @Theonlysue. Your personal experience is invaluable.
@Mr Colpot that is a very kind offer, and i may take you up on it if it looks like we are close to a deal.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Only if you lay it flat, and dont have too much other stuff in there lol

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Personally I think the price is high & based on the low miles, which isn't always a good thing.
this model does tend to hold it price. They are very sought after they don't hang around long if they tick all the boxes and have been looked after. .

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I had a checked on German prices expecting them to be a lot lower, they were higher.

That's interesting. Looks as though it has been downplated from 3.9 ton. Do you think SV Tech could advise whether I can uprate it again?.

One if the things I don't like about my van us the cab area is very draughty. Does anyone know if the Hymer stays warm up front?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is might not have been downplayed, dealer might just assume its weight.
Log book should say.
Any cab area can be drafty.
I have fitted velcro along under and stick sonething similar to a silver screen.
Works a treat.
External silverscreens work a treat.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20190403-205604_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Looks a nice van its over 10 grand more than @Northernraider paid for his though privately.

Yes check floor underneath especially from the rear wheel backwards as they can rot badly.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That's interesting. Looks as though it has been downplated from 3.9 ton. Do you think SV Tech could advise whether I can uprate it again?.

One if the things I don't like about my van us the cab area is very draughty. Does anyone know if the Hymer stays warm up front?

As I said earlier Hymer can sort the weight plating and cheaper than SVTec.
We’ve got a double layer of material that we have fixed to lower dash with press studs as @Theonlysue shows.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Stops or all from the pedals in the footwell. Very effective and a simple idea.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I would be worried about the payload. Whilst you are in the South you might want to see what Premier has in stock

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I would be worried about the payload. Whilst you are in the South you might want to see what Premier has in stock

Thanks for your input Pandas. i just checked their website and there is nothing in my price range, sadly.

I would prefer a 6.5 metre length, and a transverse bed, (for the garage) if I was being very picky, but this is hard to find with sofa's and i don't want a dinette. I like curling up with a book on the sofa. It is also a more social space when hosting. This does have the soa's locker space, a double floor, sofa's and a fixed bed, plus a large fridge and freezer, and what looks a usable bathroom and shower.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The registration is only two letters away from mine, so it would have been sold at about the same time.
Mine has a similar service history and mileage - no issues in five years of ownership, have clocked up 20k odd since purchase.
I would say price is ballpark for a loved example.
I have noticed a couple of minor things - bumper has paint peel on LH side (near the H), above the drop down bed, the leatherette trim is coming away (poor adhesive choice by Hymer). Not a big deal, mine has both issues, but could be a good haggling point?
Also agree with the comments about rotten floor behind rear arches, it needs checking as some are undiagnosed and in pretty poor condition (seen a few on our travels).

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Another daft question.
How do i check the floors for rot, or soft timbers. as recommended by you knowledgeable funsters, do i need to get underneath it, or do i test from inside the Moho or lockers?

I was told they are respraying part of the bumper, so probably the area @kasbroodje spotted. It is heartening to hear how many of you love your B654. I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong vehicle in haste. I can be rather impulsive!

Edit
Is the wardrobe next to the kitchen, and where is the boiler.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Another daft question.
How do i check the floors for rot, or soft timbers. as recommended by you knowledgeable funsters, do i need to get underneath it, or do i test from inside the Moho or lockers?
Underneath, behind rear arches, the floor can feel spongy when pushed, on particularly bad examples you'll notice it straight away without even touching.
Is the wardrobe next to the kitchen, and where is the boiler.
Yes, wardrobe next to the kitchen, boiler in bottom cupboard below the wardrobe, externally you can see the boiler vent between kitchen window and toilet cassette door.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Boiler in a good place bottom of wardrobe. Keeps clothes dry.
When Boiler under bed it can get a bit hot in summer when you heat water up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back