Thinking of a new motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome, our 2003 hymer suits us..but that has to be the starting point, whatever you find good luck and enjoy. ::bigsmile:

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
we have just traded in our 2019 Pilote coach-built for a new Pilote A class
which I’m expecting to be as trouble free
as the van it’s replacing

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We love our Carado T339. We had a Bessacarr E795 from new for 12 years and it did us well but the build with the Carado is so so much better. Everything is actually still working 2 years in! We had a page of A4 with problems (minor) to be fixed one year in from new with the Bessacarr.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Our Bailey Autograph 69-2 hasn't given us any problems .. We broke the door catch on the fridge but its the same Dometic fridge that other manufacturers uses,

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We haven't had any problems with our Bailey 69-2.

Deleted User
Definitely a Hymer. The build quality is very good, and the level of detail is impressive. Very well thought out layouts and everything has a robust but functional feel to it. Compared to the many British vehicles we tried, there was no comparison in terms of quality.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Bought a (Brand new) Burstner in 2019 it was delivered as good old DVLA delays in registering it. It arrived noticed the next had it had poorly repaired accident damage to the front. Dealer claimed no knowledge of it. Contacted Burstner they said if any damage had occurred during making it the repair would not have noticeable. Took dealer three weeks to repair and return it. Repair overspray can been seen on close inspection. On complaining and requesting compensation dealer did not want to know and was quite happy to defend any claim to barrister level. Whole thing made me ill.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and another big w2f Enjoy.
Seems like you have plenty of good advice already,hope you find a really good van.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Bought a (Brand new) Burstner in 2019 it was delivered as good old DVLA delays in registering it. It arrived noticed the next had it had poorly repaired accident damage to the front. Dealer claimed no knowledge of it. Contacted Burstner they said if any damage had occurred during making it the repair would not have noticeable. Took dealer three weeks to repair and return it. Repair overspray can been seen on close inspection. On complaining and requesting compensation dealer did not want to know and was quite happy to defend any claim to barrister level. Whole thing made me ill.
What a shitty dealer you have :mad:

please name and shame them if only for my benefit

You have imho been treated disgracefully

OP
OP
ronecc1

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
Thanks for all your help and ideas. We eventually decided on a Marquis Elddis 115. Only small at 5.7 mtrs, but with actual room you can walk round in, without having to shimmy between tables and perch your bum on little narrow seats. We paid our deposit and awaited delivery, due 4th August. Then I broke my foot, right foot at that, in numerous places. 12 weeks before I know when I will be able to use it again, so we felt we had to cancel the order. There is no point having a van sat on the drive I cannot even get in, never mind drive. How do I know whether I will be able to use my foot properly again. Anyway, I managed to get half my deposit (£1000) back and a credit note for the other half, until December 2022, to use against another van.
I just hope my foot heals okay.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
You could have picked up a brand new Burstner for around 60K back in Jan -March. Looking now they seem to be in their 70's :(

Our's has a few teething problems which are fairly simple to fix and to be honest should have been sorted by the dealer before delivery. But overall the build quality is good and there is a wide range of layouts to choose from.

I think getting a good dealer for back up is a must.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Thanks for all your help and ideas. We eventually decided on a Marquis Elddis 115. Only small at 5.7 mtrs, but with actual room you can walk round in, without having to shimmy between tables and perch your bum on little narrow seats. We paid our deposit and awaited delivery, due 4th August. Then I broke my foot, right foot at that, in numerous places. 12 weeks before I know when I will be able to use it again, so we felt we had to cancel the order. There is no point having a van sat on the drive I cannot even get in, never mind drive. How do I know whether I will be able to use my foot properly again. Anyway, I managed to get half my deposit (£1000) back and a credit note for the other half, until December 2022, to use against another van.
I just hope my foot heals okay.

:( You motor home bad luck continues. Maybe time to listen to the signs!

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Find the van/ quality you like. You're better buying a good used model than a poor new one because it fits your budget.

OP
OP
ronecc1

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
Maybe you are right VXman. But eventually I think it might be safer than my motorcycling. 57 years riding and my first accident. But I did destroy the other bike with my foot, mine has a bent brake lever.

OP
OP
ronecc1

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
Find the van/ quality you like. You're better buying a good used model than a poor new one because it fits your budget.
Not bothered about budget, I just want one that I can move round in, without having to climb over tables directly behind the drivers seat, etc. I have had one of those (Knaus) and unfortunately all European and many UK ones are that design. With the Elddis, I could turn, stand up and walk to the back of the van without having to crouch down and squirm round tables. We will see what happens in a few months time.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Not bothered about budget, I just want one that I can move round in

With the Elddis, I could turn, stand up and walk to the back of the van without having to crouch down and squirm round tables. We will see what happens in a few months time.
that’s what I love about my Comanche, the room and storage is second to none. Being able to put my feet up on a night with the long bench seats for me is/was important.

If I could find a european van with this layout or better, not sure how it could be better, then i’d seriously give it a very good looking at but I can’t.

It’s the quality of the interior/fittings that draws me to look elsewhere but I won’t give my space up for it 😉

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
If you feel you need a large garage then you're mainly looking at non British models.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
If you feel you need a large garage then you're mainly looking at non British models.
I agree but then you have to have a high bed if you want a large garage, btw the Comanche is offered with this option

Unless you have bikes, a scooter or motorbike, then I really can’t see what the need for a large garage is, unless you’ve always wanted to climb steps to get into bed 😂

My own folding ebikes go in my garage easily, that said i’ve now fitted a chassis mounted bike rack to free up space for more stuff in the garage that i’ll probably never use 😉🤣

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I agree but then you have to have a high bed if you want a large garage, btw the Comanche is offered with this option

Unless you have bikes, a scooter or motorbike, then I really can’t see what the need for a large garage is, unless you’ve always wanted to climb steps to get into bed 😂

My own folding ebikes go in my garage easily, that said i’ve now fitted a chassis mounted bike rack to free up space for more stuff in the garage that i’ll probably never use 😉🤣
Partly true. Most island bed options only have a small step onto the bedroom area and another next to the bed. Newer models come with rise and fall beds so you can choose your own balance between height of bed and size of garage. We've run with bikes on a bike rack but wouldn't be without a garage for good storage. Many british Van's have no garage and next to no other storage so people have to carry everything inside the van. Not criticising, just trying to be helpful.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Endorsed, Endorsed, Endorsed!

For your budget, or even less, you could buy a good quality Continental (German or other) which would be superior to nearly all UK-built ones and certainly a lot less hassle than a low-quality new one which would spend weeks in the dealers.

One point to consider is the wall construction - most quality builders have settled on the double-aluminium sandwich with a waterproof insulation, with no timber to rot. Thus even a minor leak does not cause rot.

I can only relate my personal experience which has been as follows:-

I had done two years of research and had narrowed my search down to a S/H Hymer 644 (garage model). I called at a dealers who sold Hymers and they did not have that model but had a Niesmann&Bischoff Arto 69GL which is almost identical. As soon as I inspected it it shouted out even better build than Hymer(same group but N&B are still built by the factory that Hymer took over)

I did not buy that particular one(due to dealer not being straight), but bought one privately for less than half your budget. The one I bought in 2009 was then 6 years old(now 18 years). i have been delighted with it since.

As to quality I have only had the following replaced on the N&B habitation side - few plastic bits outside(UVR damage) and in the fridge, a door hinge(bad maintenance by me), a tap microswitch and a water pump. Which I consider minor, after 18 years, compared with some of the faults on other MHs.

Only FIAT bits I have needed have been a oil-pressure sensor and a new radiator at 15 years, but that could be the same on most FIAT/Peugeot.

Another point about quality MHs is that they retain their resale value better. I think that if I sols our Arto now my depreciation would be well under £1,000 p.a.

I seriously urge you to look around at the quality S/H market and scour the private adds as well. I think you could find a 6-7 year old quality within or below your budget, or maybe have to go to 8-10 years, just to find the right model.

I am not a lone voice in this respect, particularly amongst the more experienced owners and some have bought under your budget.

I urge you to look at this part of the market.

If you want to PM me for a chat or phone call please do

Geoff

Heidi666

Free Member
Aug 3, 2021
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 512 Van
Exp
since 2018
I really sympathise. It does sound like you've had a lot of bad luck but you also point to some widespread issues (build quality) and compromises (space v size). We do like our Hymer Van 512 and it seems the right sort of compromises for us. The fixed bed is very cosy (though up a short ladder) and allows one of us to sleep in. The shower area works pretty well (though we're not the biggest people and I am currently having an issue with a leaking drain) and the dining area works for us too. All in 6m and within your budget (obviously much cheaper s/h). The compromise might be the kitchen - no oven and limited worktop - but we accepted that from the off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back