Thinking of a new motorhome. (1 Viewer)

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
Over the past 15 years, my wife and I have owned two motorhomes and one campervan.
First was a Luna Roadstar, 2005. Disaster. Roof leaked the first week and soaked everything through. Re fitted by Luna and they fitted some free extras for us. Water still leaked out of shower room though. Got rid and did not buy again until 2012. We then purchased, a new to the market Knaus. Disaster. First holiday and up to Scotland we go. All the catches pulled out of the kitchen drawers and cupboards on a series of bends, the kitchen tap wing snapped so no water. Then the waste drain parted company inside the polystyrene wrap on the tank, the sunroof leaked cold water as we drove. We sold after twelve months. 2016 we purchased an Autocruise campervan. Very cramped, bare wiring underneath the van, kitchen drawers that dropped because the sliders were so poor and flimsy. Shower room not big enough to swing a mouse, sliding door window that permanently steamed up, sat nav that would not update.
So in 2021 we are thinking again of a motorhome. Thought about a Transit campervan but decided why buy a cramped van for £55,000 when we can get something I can stand up in and sleep in when one of us wants. Hence we thought of a Bailey 69-2, just what we need, large washroom and large rear lounge. Then I read the reports of Bailey and their rubbish quality control. What can we do? We do not like the cramped front lounge/dining areas on campervans and very many motorhomes. We have a budget of around £60/64,000. Any ideas, or is it the bad reports of Bailey are just a few owners with niggles. Having had two British and one Dutch I am unsure which way to go.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
:hiya2: w2f We know a few Bailey owners. No real issues.
Burstner are a good brand. We have one and are currently happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have friends on their second new Bailey and no complaints at all, those that shout loudest can make or break the reputation of any motorhome manufacturer and often unfairly. British, German, French, Italian I m afraid they are all built down to a cost and a weight, you might get a good one or you might not. Our current autosleeper has been pretty much fault free over 9 years yet others will say theirs have gone wrong in the first 9 minutes, no rhyme or reason to it.

OP
OP
ronecc1

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
Thanks all, up to now. Yes I realise that on a forum, most owners will want help or to complain. Not many owners just post, 'I love my van' and that is the response I was hoping. As you saw, I have had faults with all mine, so I just wanted to be sure there were some happy owners out there. You do wonder why some of the faults happen and why when working on something all day, they makes silly mistakes and bad workmanship. Then why is it not picked up as work progresses.
Thanks again folks. I look forward to some more positive reports.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello GIF by DJ Khaled
Good luck what ever you get.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

Take a look at Marquis Majestics…..we’ve had two, and, although there were a few niggles, they were sorted out by Elddis/Marquis to our satisfaction. The level of kit that comes as ‘standard’ is pretty good too, imho.;)

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
:hiya2:
Another shout out for Burstner, bought new four years ago no niggles, no return to dealer it’s been a delight.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Had an old Hymer 6 belted seats 2 double beds ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️Ed it. Now got a newer one no problems really with either, old 544 had too small an engine for hills in Italy . This one is like driving a car,only more fun and loads of space good payload. Also looked at Rapidios they are nice too. Hope you find the van you want x

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and :welcome3: !!

Sounds as though you've had some pretty frustrating experiences over the years...

I've seen the French Rapido brand mentioned a couple of times in the thread, and that's what we've got. It's our second, and this one we've had from new. The first one we purchased was used, and we were happy with that. Then we bought a new Chausson - which was OK and we kept for five years. When it was time to get a new van we with different spec and layout we scoured the market, but couldn't find anything to beat the Rapido we purchased.

Have been happy with the brand and niggles to date have been small, infrequent and easily fixed.

Good luck whatever you decide to buy. (y)

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
We have just traded in our Bailey Advance 706. We were very happy with the van but decided we wanted a fixed bed and garage, so don’t be put off by others. Every make can have issues.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Autotrail Delaware. In 2016 the only rear fixed bed not transverse. Happy with it. Would buy again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whatever make you get buy a two year old one. It will still be under warranty and the previous owner will have had all the hassle and loss of use whilst getting it repaired.
Not if you buy EU produced ones.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

You know the old saying 3rd time lucky. And I hope that you are. Here’s a shamrock for luck☘️☘️🤞🤞

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
:unsure:
Don't EU produced m/h's have at least a two years warranty?
Yes but if you buy one that is already 2 years old it will be out of warranty.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We’re pretty happy with our 2012 Bailey Approach. We bought it second hand.

When we had our habitation service this year, the mobile technicians said they were pretty impressed with the Bailey build and said that it was the first van they’d inspected that month that had zero damp.
You pays your money and takes your chance.

Doubtless you’ll find people complaining and approving of all brands. I think ‘tarring’ a brand isn’t helpful. A thorough inspection and checking of service records (if not buying new) is, to my mind, more important.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. 👍

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Just changed from being very pro -British to a German van and cant believe the quality difference they are methodical in the finish .

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We purchased our only ever moho brand new in Sept 2018, an Auto Trail Comanche, its had numerous issues but all of them very minor ones

exterior locker door locks needed adjusting, toilet door has a privacy plastic hinge which split, new one fitted yesterday, one of the ceiling LED strip lights intermittent, also repaired yesterday, just a dirty connection. Cool box door handle cracked, new door ordered and also fitted yesterday, all silly things and certainly nothing major.

I think the key thing is to purchase from a dealer who is no more than 30 mins away from you if possible, one who you can go to when you need them. Luckily our dealer is great, nothing is too much trouble for them and i'd buy another one from them in a flash if I could find a better moho than we have already, this suits us to a tee and we love it.

They all have something go wrong choose what brand you purchase, having a good local dealer eases the pain and frustration, my mate reckons his Hymer has done at least 10,000 miles back and forth to the dealer for numerous issues over the 5 years he's owned it, so this makes my point about choosing your dealer carefully, valid.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find a good one to enjoy, we certainly did (y)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
:unsure:
Don't EU produced m/h's have at least a two years warranty?

The standard Fiat warranty on imported European MH conversions is only 2 years, but for a UK conversion it is 3 years.

Before you ask, I can't understand why there is a difference in the duration of the manufacturer's standard warrranty. Same RHD chassis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back