Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
We have a fairly large motor home and I have been thinking about taking a small family car with us, especiall if we go on a long trip. Just wondered if anyone could advise me if its best to have a small trailer or an A frame (which I know nothing about) Anyway my car is a Toyota Yaris which is a bit bigger than some of the vehicles I have seen being towed.:Doh:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We have a fairly large motor home and I have been thinking about taking a small family car with us, especiall if we go on a long trip. Just wondered if anyone could advise me if its best to have a small trailer or an A frame (which I know nothing about) Anyway my car is a Toyota Yaris which is a bit bigger than some of the vehicles I have seen being towed.:Doh:

Everyone seems to be going the "A" frame route.So much easier to hitch on and off.

Personally I'd do the same but preferably the "braked" version.

There's a few interesting threads on forum worth reading.

Is it a Yaris with a Manual gearbox? Perfect car IMHO as the SMART is too small for my Family.There are issues towing some true Auto cars for any distance.The yaris would be my personal choice too.

The CAR-A-TOW would be my choice of frame.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

There is no doubt that an A frame is more convenient than a trailer, single handed hitching - unhitching .. and doesn't need pitch space, which can be a major problem abroad, manhandling a trailer can also be difficult on grassy or soft pitches, arguably it is also safer to tow with an A frame ..
If there were no legal issues abroad, particularly Spain, there would be no contest..

I have a Caratow frame, it is a joy to use.. but I doubt I will go to Spain with it, no big loss, except the route to Portugal. :Sad: much prefer France and Germany .. only thing Spain has going for it is the winter sunshine ..

Much more on this topic if you search A Frame

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joan

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi We have a Toyota Yaris and tow it on the back of the RV. Chris Cox:thumb::thumb: fitted the A Frame. Towed toad all over France Spain and Italy last year
Joan

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Just to balance things up, I use a trailer.

1) For me I use the M/H for holidays therefore I prefer to be 100% legal, no Grey areas.
2) No mods to the car.
3) No wear on the car.
4) I can reverse, on one occasion more than half a mile (Thanks TOmtom)
5) I have used the trailer on other occasions other than with the motorhome.
6) Tilt bed so I can load and strap down the car within 5 Min's, assuming no one comes over to natter.

However I don't have any storage problems at home, which may be an issue for some. It can be quite hard work pushing it around on site, therefore I have a tow bar on the toad for such events. Which is useful because I have a small trailer for garden waste.

Due to a 8 mtr van I tend to go for large pitches therefore I have never had any problems with fitting the trailer on as well as the m/h. There again I only use sites or motorway parking, may be an issue if you use Aires (someone will know).

What I really would like is a dolly as used by the Yanks. Best of both worlds.
RV Tow Dolly and Camper Dolly Accessories

Last edited:

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Hi We have a Toyota Yaris and tow it on the back of the RV. Chris Cox:thumb::thumb: fitted the A Frame. Towed toad all over France Spain and Italy last year
Joan
Hi all, I am replying to this from a campsite near Malaga. I tow a Dhaihatsui on a Chris Cox A frame and have been touring Portugal and now Spain. I have been overtaken by spainish motorcyclist police and local police with no problems whatsoever!! The last campsite I was on there were three other outfits towing cars and not one of them had experienced problems with the police. True, there were problems 5 years ago when a- frames were new to Spain but with the large number of a-framers on the road it has become the accepted thing.
I have found that the biggest hazard is when cars join a road immediately behind your outfit and do not notice the towed car until the last possible moment. To combat this I have used the hazard striped board (used when carrying bicycles) cut to a suitable size and placed in the back window of the car and the remaining pieces "blue tacked" to the inside rear door windows.
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
towing

Hi we are quite new to motorhoming but 2008 we went to France for 8 weeks, took the bull by the horns so to speak we have a bessacar 465 we took a Brian James Smart car trailer and Smart car never drove in france before let alone a motorhome trailer and smart car, we did 2500 miles in the van and 1200 in the smart and had a good trip ne problems, We have been told from various sources that A frames are not legal in france and other places in europe:Sad: So we bought a trailer, I am sure there will be one to suit your car as it is a bit bigger than ours. Good luck on your travels.:thumb: Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back