Think I am hooked (1 Viewer)

Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Spirit 604 on
Exp
8 months
My name is Chris and I like Motorhomes, there I have said it but it looks like I am among friends here but be kind!

My habit started early in 2019 when my wife, Sue and myself were trying to plan a holiday to celebrate out 70th birthdays in 2020. We had been lucky enough to have had two touring holidays in Australia and two in New Zealand. We has totally fallen in love NZ’s South Island and wanted a third trip. Having had hired a car and stayed in motels before we wanted something that would enable us to see the more remote areas and having been stuck behind endless Motorhomes we thought if you can’t beat them join them.

Some research showed NZ is over supplied with hire companies we chose an outfit called Wilderness who positively encourage their customers to get off the beaten track - only restrictions were don’t drive on beaches or ford major rivers but if you want to go 50kms down gravel roads good luck to you. Their group is the Bürstner importer so they offer a wide range of German vans. We hired the largest they had a 7.5m TD744 for a 3 week circular trip from Christchurch. Only thing then other than booking some breathtakingly expensive flights was to sit and wait. Meanwhile more research turned up several superb apps to find the best campsites although the state run DOC campsites are excellent but only a few can be booked ahead. Never had an issue booking day to day though despite being there in Feb/March which is still peak season.

In Feb we flew out just as something called Corona virus was hitting the news. Flights took 26 hours with stops in Dubai and Sidney before landing in Christchurch - where the Emirates A380 totally dwarfed the other planes. Wilderness picked us up the following morning and gave us an excellent briefing although they had videos on every subject including the dark art of cassette emptying. The van had the infamous Comformatic gear box which was fun on the hairpin bends the country has in excess. The van was 18 months old and had been well used but was in reasonable knick for a hire. Their Scouse engineer gave us his expert view of German engineering before we set off while he fitted a new fly screen - he was not a fan of their electric beds of which our van had 2! Useful pre-purchase advice from a hire company engineer.

New Zealand was a joy we had a superb time despite getting caught in a storm on the West coast - one of the wettest places on earth where rainfall is measured in 10s of cms. We survived the sand flies - Wilderness advise fitting children under 25Kg with weights to avoid the risk of abduction by those swines - and the alpine parrots that can strip a Motorhome of any rubber component in minutes and we suspect have deals with the garages to sell them back to punters. NZ Campsites are great and the locals are really friendly. Do go if you can the island is larger than England with under 2 million people, endless national parks stunning coastline and snow topped mountains. Oh and they make superb wine and the food is to die for it’s the nearest place to heaven we know.

Two lessons we learnt first turning around in a 7.5Mb motorhome on a 3Mb wide track is challenging and always buy the collision damage waver insurance as car parks get very tight with a huge overhang at the back. We also learnt that going away during a pandemic is not a good idea. We got back in mid March after an interesting flight - Dubai airport was deserted - went straight into lock down.

A lot of discussion ensued two things were decided we had had enough of long haul flying and we really needed to see more of the UK and Europe. The idea of buying a van of our own was born. Sue has slightly dodgy eye sight so in no way could get the C1 renewed and after some discussion we decided that we would stick under 3.5 tons. Another limitation is the length of our drive where a 6m van is stretching it so I researched small vans. We went round a number of dealers when they opened in June before selecting a Swift Escape 604 which met our requirements. Living in the South we visited Dolphin in Southampton who sell a special edition called the Spirit which comes with a solar panel, bbq point etc so we went to see one. Given my advancing years I prefer driving automatics so we had to order from the factory for 2021 delivery So we placed a deposit.

After reading the words of wisdom here we decided to hire the same van if we could and try it out for real. We found an outfit called Land Cruise in Chichester had exactly that model so we we booked 2 weeks away in late September. The 6m van was far more manoeuvrable and fitted(ish) into parking spaces. We had a great time castling along the South Coast scoring 9. After a slight initial panic we managed to get the stuff we needed into the lockers - convinced Swift have bent time/space as more went in than the dimensions should allow. Due the pandemic we found the on board facilities were excellent with the end washroom being far better than the larger Bürstner but YMMV. The manual drop down bed worked and we ended up using the lower bed made from cushions as well as two bunks. The Land Cruise people gave the Swift a reasonable recommendation as well. So we think it should work for our planned use for touring here and in Europe - result.

So project Stumpy is born, the name comes from the sawn off looks ot a 3Mb tall van only being 6m long elegant it is not. Currently it is a spreadsheet of all the things we need to buy from levelling blocks to a rooftop 4G aerial. Sure to be asking loads of stupid questions while we wait for Swift to do their thing - very slowly. Hopefully it will turn up in March as promised as it is our joint Golden Wedding present to ourselves and assuming my pension funds still have enough in them to pay the bill. 🙏

Sorry for the lengthy first post.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Hi there. New Zealand certainly is motorhoming paradise isn't it? We did similar to you (although we already had our own van in the UK) so have fun with your own van!! You will find all the advice you will ever need on here (and quite a lot that you don't). A search on MHF is always my first port of call when I need anything van related!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from hailstormin’ Ciren! o_O

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hello welcome to FUN enjoy your van when it arrives we will look forward to your reports😊 and congrats on your anniversary 🥂🥂🥂

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
We also hired in NZ for 6 weeks. It was a big box of a thing with an overcab bed which we couldn't climb up into but provided extra blankets and pillows for the cold nights and a rear bed with large wrap around windows. We spent all ou time on this bed admiring the views and didn't use the uncomfortable dinette seats. We already owned a hightop VW T4 conversion which drove like a car, the hired MH drove like a furniture van.
Loving the rear views, we chose a wrap around rear lounge with with windows all around for our next van and a Ducato maxi chassis van conversion which at least gives a decent drive.

I don't know how you can bear the waiting for your new toy. It’s our 50th next year too. Hopefully see you at a campsite or rally in 2021.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
w2f
Welcome from North Wiltshire!

Great first post. Hope you enjoy your travels in the MH.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I sense your frustrations. We only had to wait a few weeks, which was bitter sweet, while you have had half a year to suffer. Would it be interesting to visit the factory around the time they are building it?

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
Lol I thought this would be a thread about electric hookups!

Welcome to the site, we hired in Canada (the Rockies) before taking the plunge here! I think try before you buy is the way to go!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi!
Thats even briefer than DBK :LOL: ;)

• Funny
Reactions: DBK

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
After a slight initial panic we managed to get the stuff we needed into the lockers - convinced Swift have bent time/space as more went in than the dimensions should allow.

But remember, there's ALWAYS more storage space than there is payload weight allowance.
A 3500kg van will soon be overweight.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We similarly loved a motorhome tour of the South Island.

Just one tip. Consider what you are going to do with two large suitcases when you pick up your hire van. Ours didn't have anywhere suitable to "lose" them for the duration so they were a bit of a pain.

OP
OP
S
Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Spirit 604 on
Exp
8 months
Thanks Riverbankannie we saw a number of “local’ conversions from companies like Mighty and Britz lots of windows but suspect some had started out life actually as furniture vans but surprisingly roomy. Our Burstner had a large rear lounge with three windows and on one campsite we enjoyed an afternoon Dolphin watching from inside it. Talking to locals many bought their vans in the UK as cheaper to ship them out than to buy locally.

G-RMPS fortunately we were prepared about cases and used collapsible grips. Our Hire company will store luggage which only works if you did as we did and return to the same point but many people go one way from Christchurch to Auckland or vice versa.

The people we were in awe of though were the young tourists in the Juicy campers which were sold as fully self contained but with the kitchen under the tailgate and heaven alone knows where the porterpotty was rather them than me As NZ weather is like the UK but wetter.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN. 👍. We have 2 sons who live in NZ so have been there 8 or 9 time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back