Things you wish you had known...? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If the toilet gets over filled, before removing the cassette, swing the drain spout out and drain the excess off into a container. Only remove the cassette when the level is back below the blade valve. Oh and make sure your daughter knows you have removed the cassette for emptying before she invites herself over for an improptu use of your facilities.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Don't let your wife have a poo whilst you are away emptying the loo cassette.

Sorry, didn't read the post above!!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont try to visit everywhere on the first trip , and let your itinerary be very flexible so you can insert quirky things en route . Moho flexibility is their biggest advantage.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
On a serious note...

...that there are more extra expenses than you would expect when you get the Camper home. As someone wrote, do a trial run at home, including sleeping in it, to make sure you have everything needed. Then service the toilet, etc.

On a lighter note (these actually happened!)...

When the owner of the campsite comes up to you and your friends in the campsites dance place and says "you are not here to enjoy yourselves!" you are about to get barred from the site! :D

When one of your friends can bark like a german shepherd dog on a "No Pets Allowed" Campsite, you are about to get barred from the site (for not taking a pet on it!) :D

Finally, some campsite owners are (expletive deleted). :D

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Get yourself a payment tag for toll roads in France befor you have a bust up with the misses because the payment gate is her side, and she can,t see the big red button that says press here in English.:D2

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Things you wish you had known...?

Where babies come from.... :doh: :groan:

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Make sure the person guiding you into any tight spots looks up so that you don’t catch on any over hanging branches, which my darling wife did in a car park which nearly took our bathroom overhead window off.
I was just about to say this. Too busy watching the corners in villasol and nearly took the roof off on a tree branch. Luckily fellow mh owner shouted

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
That you only get 5 or 6 posts before you become a Read Only Funster.
And that you need to pay your £15 membership fee before you can join in again.

I've just discovered this, as a newbie and it left me a bit miffed.
However, Fun seems to be the best populated (with people) of all of the forums I have found , so I paid and smiled.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not to buy your 1st brand new van with a back door, only to take your children away the following weekend and they see kids on bikes and you discover.......Bike racks (n)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Write yourself a short list of the most important things, laminate it and put it behind on your Steering wheel ,
You'll add more to that list on subsequent journeys

Do a dummy run week-end on your drive.
Do it properly, cook, wash, live, etc.
Then when you realise you don't have a frying pan, crockery, or a can opener, or the gas runs out and you have no spare or spanner, etc. etc. you can go indoors and get one but go back to motorhome.
Ensure you've put the loo blue in cassette (or what ever)
& you know how & when to empty it , it's quite heavy when full.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
I wish I had known that buying the motorhome was only the first hit on the bank balance!

Then came all the stuff to put in it, pots, pans, dishes, hoses, cables, etc. etc. etc. etc.

THEN came joining Motorhomefun and reading about all the toys one can purchase for said motorhome. Things like: LED lighting, air suspension, solar panels, etc. etc.

THEN
after going away for a few days and staying at a campsite miles from anywhere and needing some kind of transport other than shanks' pony, I think "oh an ebike will do" and so it does ...... unless you want to go slightly further afield. The next step was logical ..... buy a scooter!! ....ahh but wait .... how to transport a scooter? ..... easy, buy a scooter rack!
But what if it's raining, I'll get wet riding a scooter!! ....... I saw a really nice bright orange Smart car on here for sale .....

THEN
I slapped myself across the face and said enough is enough :D

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
When boarding the Eurotunnel train, tell the member of staff there standing at the entrance to the train ramp that you are "new to all this" and ask them to hold the queue of cars behind until you are safely on board; this saved me so much stress the first time I did it as I was worried I'd have to shunt the bus on the ramp with a car right behind me.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
A lot of people use a checklist, mine is in my head, indelibly written!
I start off at the back of the van, inside, check everything is tied down/locked down, drawers & doors locked, fridge locked, dog water up, then progress up the van checking all lockers etc. & shutting heiki.
Outside is easy-for me-walk round van check EHU is clicked down and nothing left under van, like my veg box, check for any rubbish!
Oh yes check dog is in van, would be difficult to leave her behind, she’s the first one in as soon as we start to pack up, she sits up on the dash then moves to her bed as soon as hubby starts the engine!:)
It’s all a case of routine!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Do not go for a poo when SWMBO is emptying the cassette!

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Actually you may be onto something there!

People with dogs have something in common (the dog) and just seem to chat to anyone else with a dog, which is great.

On our first trip out in our motorhome I found that people without dogs speak to each other. I think that's because they have something in common too; a motorhome; which is as as good as a dog for starting a conversation. I met wonderful John from Scotland in Brighton a few weeks ago - now on his way down to Spain (lucky devil).

I don't have a dog but would still like to chat; I'll even be a good boy if you throw me a stick! :smiley:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I learnt that in France, Lidl and Aldi, in general, don't sell fresh semi skimmed milk.
For that you need a Carrefour or or the other one that sounds like an electric co, l'elecric or something similar.
Otherwise said supermarkets are excellent

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
D0795ECD-CE1E-4930-9D5E-C82FB4C1CC1F.jpeg
Actually you may be onto something there!

People with dogs have something in common (the dog) and just seem to chat to anyone else with a dog, which is great.

On our first trip out in our motorhome I found that people without dogs speak to each other. I think that's because they have something in common too; a motorhome; which is as as good as a dog for starting a conversation. I met wonderful John from Scotland in Brighton a few weeks ago - now on his way down to Spain (lucky devil).

I don't have a dog but would still like to chat; I'll even be a good boy if you throw me a stick! :smiley:
Get an invisible dog, like thoseshown in the picture. They don’t eat much, don’t make a mess, don’t spill their water and you can leave them in the van with no ventilation. You can take them for long walks without worrying about sniffing lampposts and they still attract conversation from other dog owners. You can also talk to them and sit with them on your lap so your partner has to fetch and carry for you. I’ve found that they are not very good at fetching sticks though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back