Things you wish you had known...? (1 Viewer)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
DONT FOGET TO PULL THE STEP IN

listen to your inner thought when parking
parked at the back of a car park in italy I thought this is a bit too tucked away
came back someone had tried to force the lock

last weekend parked in Berwick car park tried to park within a marked bay.
but to do so it meant that the car next to me could not even get to his door let alone open it.
So i left a bigger gap result £50 fine for not being with in the marked bay.
Being courteous costs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
load heavy things like cans of beans low down. opening a top locker to be attacked by a flying tin of beans hurts or does damage

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Buying a motorhome makes it easier to get kicked out!... they don’t feel as guilty ? ???

Robmac

Free Member
Jun 13, 2012
Wyboston, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Master self build
Exp
On second van now since 2012
When the salesman is handing over a newly purchased motorhome to you, use your mobile 'phone to video the smarmy git so you don't forget how everything works.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What exactly does it mean?

Payload - what you can carry. The difference between what it weights on a weighbridge and maximum weight ( on all axles ).

Some vans have so little payload you can just about carry a passenger.

The brochure figures are a joke. Faked to show the best possible payload but with no realistic essentials loaded - like water, fuel, gas bottles.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
The brochure figures are a joke. Faked to show the best possible payload but with no realistic essentials loaded - like water, fuel, gas bottles.
This is from the brochure for my van:

1564520472634.png

Pretty clear there, water, fuel and gas included.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Payload - what you can carry. The difference between what it weights on a weighbridge and maximum weight ( on all axles ).

Some vans have so little payload you can just about carry a passenger.

I thought there was an EU directive about calculating MIRO and payload. However I just saw a Marquis Ad for an Autosleeper giving the payload as the difference between the unladen weight and the maximum weight with no mention of MIRO (but with a bit of small print lower down to cover their backsides). Is this deliberately misleading or just someone who doesn’t know the difference between MIRO and unladen weight?

Either way I agree with hilldweller that payload is something to check carefully.

Landscapes

Free Member
Apr 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks guys. We are looking. A Burstner Nexxo T660 tomorrow so I better do some research on the payload

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
As our Morelo is going back to the Mother-Ship in Germany for a few minor works & a 2-year service in early September, I have now emptied all (well most) of our stuff from it. When it goes back in, I will make an inventory and weigh every item so I know exactly what my payload weights are. Of course, I know the liquids (fuel, fresh and wastewater) will be extra weight and can estimate them based on fluid level indicators.

How many have done this already?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As our Morelo is going back to the Mother-Ship in Germany for a few minor works & a 2-year service in early September, I have now emptied all (well most) of our stuff from it. When it goes back in, I will make an inventory and weigh every item so I know exactly what my payload weights are. Of course, I know the liquids (fuel, fresh and wastewater) will be extra weight and can estimate them based on fluid level indicators.

That sounds like a bit of a faff to do. We just load up, including full fuel and water and go to the weighbridge before departure. This year we were 80kg under GVW.

Geoff

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

I have had my new Carthago weighed by the dealer as it arrived from the factory. 128kg above the brochure weight, pretty much exactly the 130kg predicted by Lenny HB on another thread. Just within the 5% manufacturers are allowed on weights.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have had my new Carthago weighed by the dealer as it arrived from the factory. 128kg above the brochure weight, pretty much exactly the 130kg predicted by Lenny HB on another thread. Just within the 5% manufacturers are allowed on weights.
Told yer.:ROFLMAO:

As they always appear to be 130kg over which is just within the 5% tolerance on the smaller vans.
Makes you wonder if deliberate, as it's always about that, they appear to have their build weight under control and it's done deliberately to make it look like they have a higher payload.

Last edited:

Noely

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class Itineo
Exp
Since 2016
I was just about to say this. Too busy watching the corners in villasol and nearly took the roof off on a tree branch. Luckily fellow mh owner shouted
We now use walki talkies or the phone on speaker to guide when reversing. Allows distance to see top of van for overhead branches etc

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Start out at the back and do a walk through.

Is the gas bottle off and the internal gas taps off.
Bathroom, Is the toilet cassette flap closed.
Take the shower hose off of the bracket.
Put everything that isn’t stuck down in a cupboard or locker.
Are all the windows locked.
Is the fridge locked and make sure to not put heavy bottles of liquid on the shelves.
Check all the cupboards and doors are shut and locked.
Look up and check all the skylights are locked down.
Top tip from the misses we have a little hook where the tea towel hangs to the side of the cutlery draw, by hanging the edge of the tea towel over the draw and closing it in the next draw down it keeps the draw from opening on tight bends. It still opens sometimes because the contents move.
If you’ve got an awning count the pegs when you put them away
If you leave your van on hookup put the bag labelled with hookup on the seat or dash along with the cover from the water heater.
Walk round outside is everything locked and unplugged
Fold the mirrors out and wipe you pet mirror spiders webs away, same for the reversing cameras.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back