Things we learnt in our one year away in the 'van....... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
In no particular order.....

We can 'do' a country in 4 to 6 weeks :eek:

We can't sit still for more than 2 days

We don't use campsites, we prefer Aires, and we're quite happy to wild camp

We love new places and new adventures

Living 'fulltime' in a van is not that difficult

BUT................... How lovely it is to

Have Real showers

Use flushing toilets

Have 'space' indoors

Not have to convert every price we see into Pounds

Not have to pack away the home every other day

Not have to
worry about the next night stop

Sleep in a really big really comfy bed

Watch proper movies on our home cinema with 'proper' sound :D

To be honest the list could go on and on. What we have established is that having tried it for a year we DON'T want to do it either full time or all the time.....

When we worked full time the idea of getting away was a driving force. Having been away for this time has allowed us to 'review' what we want out of life, and that means working again:eek::eek:

We love our van and we love being independent, but now we think it is time to adjust the balance.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy................ how about all play and no work makes Jack need a purpose?

It's strange really, but we just want to be back in the 'real world'

I suppose it might be different when we really are old enough to retire, but I'm 56 and Mrs Chox is only 49!

There's a bit more time ahead than we thought :eek::eek:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just a little extra thought......

When we lived on a boat full time for 3 years we always felt that the most fulfilled and happy 'boaties' were the one's who spent half the year on boats and the other half doing anything else

I think it's the same with motorhomes.............. nice to go away...........and nice to come back (until the next time away :D )

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
retiring early certainly isnt for everyone, and living in a motorhome is hugely different to enjoying holidays in one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you are right . since 98 i have only spent one winter in uk . i like it here in summer ,but like going away in winter and having another summer . all the things you mention are ok. not sure about 4-6 weeks doing one country . i find i just go slowere and slower and visit places i havent been before ever year is places we missed last year.
its nice to come back work etc . i did dont now . but have fun . next time try going slower see more . stop in the place you noticed on the last trip as a good place to stay but didnt .
every year it seems theres more to see . i started in the early 60,s with my parents and still find places i,ve missed .

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Oh please do not put a down on it, I am 54 in two weeks and she who I obey is 55 and we are off next April 2015 for our one year adventure. We have managed to convince those who pay us to leave our jobs open. So when we get back we can just drop in where we left off. Yes I suppose at our age we cannot just simply drop of the map and live the life out of our mobile boxes but like you life must be enjoyed when you can and make decisions later.

We have loved reading your blog about your Norway trip this Summer and I am trying to price this for us to visit in June 2015. As mentioned before I am a bit worried about the Ferry and Tolls for a 8.7m tag axle van in Norway looking at heading up through Sweden but still want to see the Norway sites on the way back.

Well just still keep using your van and you can always decide to get back on the road

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Good worthwhile post, sometimes we cant see the wood for the trees. There really is no substitute for a nice home with a motorhome on the drive and an airport close by. (y)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm, I wouldn't want to put anyone off......... we're all different. We have no regrets about spending a year out, if we had not tried we wouldn't have found out (does that make sense?)

We love our van and truly wish we had bought one years ago. But next time we go away it will be on holiday and not just because 'it's what we do'

:D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly seen a fair few relationships hit the rocks when people try to live long term in a confined space too. its an amazing feeling to have the freedom of the open road and it lures many people to think of it as idylic. however there are negatives to all things, and you need to have a clear view of all of this. rose tinted glasses soon get cloudy for some

other than that, theres plenty who do live a life on the road in their van and who have learnt to work around issues. I know of none that will tell you its all perfect

best to keep options open and enjoy life as you can

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have managed to convince those who pay us to leave our jobs open. So when we get back we can just drop in where we left off

I think the mistake we made was renting our house out while we were away. This left us with a feeling of 'homelessness'......we could not come back home for a short while if we wanted to.

The other thing is uncertainty............. to us it felt permanent, at least in your case the jobs will still be there.

Do it for a year, only then you will know how you feel about it.

However, Buttons does have a point....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back