Things that took a long time........ (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
........ to do but really shouldnt have.

I watched a bloke faffing about with a tv sat dish thing for 4 hours on a CC site in yorkshire last year. Mrs ips, daughter and I were amazed at the lengths some people will go to in order to watch rubbish. Had 3 other blokes helping him for the last hour or so..unbeleivable.
Never have and dont intend to start watching tv in the MH apart from anything else what the hell is there worth watching at weekends ???
We never get bored and never miss it.

SO THERE :)

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I did see a guy around 3 or 4 years ago, turn up on site with an RV. I think it was newish, as he was intent on adding every conceivable extra when other campers were in view.

By the time he had his Transit sized gas barbeque out, banquet table and 8-10 chairs, awning, awning lights, fairy lights for the awning, pitch lights for the pitch, set up sat dish, TV in the awning, telescope on the roof (I kid you not) - all took about three days!!

So basing that on 3 days to unpack and 3 to repack - I just hope he was there for two weeks!!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Could not agree more. Me and the present Mrs JK wanted to get away from all that crap we were getting on TV back in the UK, MP's, every other show some kind of celeb this or that, "reality bloody TV" there's an oxymoron.
At one campsite in northern Spain, last year, a couple noticed that we did not have a sat dish. "So, how do you watch Corrie then?" "What's Corrie?".
They looked at us as if we were mad!
Will hunt out the local "Irish pub" for sport etc. and watch the odd DVD, but that's it.
We do other things in the evening, probaly what my grand parents did, play cards, try to learn Spanish (OK they did not do that but I've often wondered why my Dad was called Juan?) read and talk to one another instead of just sitting glued the the box all night. Might as well stay at home in the UK and watch it there.
Sorry rant over.
JK

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hear Hear to all of you.

We read books, but only a bit at a time otherwise they won't last us LOL

We do crosswords, ditto.

We quite like to play cards - Cribbage if we can rope anyone else in, have small folding board same size as a pack of cards LOL

We talk

We go for walks - sometimes we combine the last 2 LOL

We explore - sometimes do shopping sometimes a museum, whatever

We'll swim and relax in sun if facilities and weather suitable.

We do quite a bit of nuffink much, really - and enjoy it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I hate reality also - getting a bit worn now. I don't watch much TV anyway, only for news - and that in itslef is getting pretty silly...who cares about Katie Price, Who cares if John Terry had an affair? Get on with the real news!

I did have a customer ask once, if our vans were fitted with Playstation for the kids.........No! They are on holiday - get them in the sun, swimming running around and having fun! :Doh:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We read books, but only a bit at a time otherwise they won't last us LOL
only read magazines but agree

We do crosswords, ditto.
yes

We quite like to play cards - Cribbage if we can rope anyone else in, have small folding board same size as a pack of cards LOL
sometimes
We talk
we do that a great deal

We go for walks - sometimes we combine the last 2 LOL
oooh multi tasking eh

We explore - sometimes do shopping sometimes a museum, whatever
do the shopping bit

We'll swim and relax in sun if facilities and weather suitable.
er yep

We do quite a bit of nuffink much, really - and enjoy it!

We also eat and drink a lot..

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
We talk, we read, we watch the world go by. TV? - never. News papers? - seldom. The world will go on with no input from me. As has been said previously and in several recent posts, theres very little worth watching.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Sedge,

Cribbage now there's a game.
We are now trying to play it in Spanish, a 20 minute game now takes about an hour. We've sussed Jack, Queen, King, gato, reina, rey but when we asked a local what was "one for his nobbs" in Spanish he thought we were taking the p&^s. Still don't know.
"uno para sus nobbs?"
JK

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sedge,

Cribbage now there's a game.
We are now trying to play it in Spanish, a 20 minute game now takes about an hour. We've sussed Jack, Queen, King, gato, reina, rey but when we asked a local what was "one for his nobbs" in Spanish he thought we were taking the p&^s. Still don't know.
"uno para sus nobbs?"
JK

Corcorota (nf) or esnob (adj):thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
confirmed tv adict.....cant do without it.

but i would draw the line at 4 hours to set up my dish....i reckon within 20 minutes i'd know it wasnt going to work and give up. :Doh:

we were on a welsh wooded valley site and had niether sat nor terrestrial....next best thing, go to the pub and get wobbly.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I were amazed at the lengths some people will go to in order to watch rubbish.
SO THERE :)

It's a pan European disease. Everywhere we go, MH stops, satellite dish erects.

It quite amusing when a few arrive together and you watch them twirling around like some electronic ballet.

Maybe it's a testosterone thing, my dish is faster than your dish.

And then there's my GPS is better than your GPS.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We have watched m/hs park, set up, then try to get best satellite reception and when that doesn't happen, pack up and move elsewhere. We also were near a Dutch couple with a manual sat aerial who took hours to sort it out, then in beautiful evening sunshine they went in and watched television.
We don't have TV at home and wouldn't think of it for the camper.
violet

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
There's no better pastime than sitting with a cuppa and watchin a chap wander around a field with a tv arial in his hand. Its brilliant.

Jim
:Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think it's more 'one for him' - "uno para él", but you'd need to explain it was "solamente para él particularmente; el Bribón de espadas" (only for him; the knave of spades)

Because they don't seem to play Crib anywhere else except Inglaterra!!!

(Please tell me it is Spades, my memory does fail me abysmally all the while, but if it isn't just substitute approprate suit)

Thought a gato was a cat, as in Hey!! Pooossy Gato!!!!, el cabo de gata etc

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Correct and you get an extra point if you turn the Jack over on the 'pot'.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I was forced to watch a whole series of Big Brother across 5 countries last summer! How do you think I feel?

wouldnt be without the tele and a Camos Dome so all I do is switch it on and it works everywhere (apart from under trees and bridges). Im not a tele addict though and would rather be sat out in the sun drinking beer and playing my guitar of an evening and that is mostly what we do but when its poring down or its dark at 4pm its quite nice to sit in the rear lounge and watch all the crud Mrs D likes to watch!

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I think it's more 'one for him' - "uno para él", but you'd need to explain it was "solamente para él particularmente; el Bribón de espadas" (only for him; the knave of spades)

Because they don't seem to play Crib anywhere else except Inglaterra!!!

(Please tell me it is Spades, my memory does fail me abysmally all the while, but if it isn't just substitute approprate suit)

Thought a gato was a cat, as in Hey!! Pooossy Gato!!!!, el cabo de gata etc

You are thought right Gato is a cat and Pero is a dog :thumb:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We have a Camos and would'nt be without it !

We also have a on off knob on the tv !

So what if someone wonts to spend 4 hours trying to set up, it's free entertainment for thoughs that are not and have nothing better to do than watch.

Good job IMO that we are all different.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's a pan European disease. Everywhere we go, MH stops, satellite dish erects.

It quite amusing when a few arrive together and you watch them twirling around like some electronic ballet.

Maybe it's a testosterone thing, my dish is faster than your dish.

And then there's my GPS is better than your GPS.

Brian, wots wrong with gps, I cant remember a route (going senile ) the wife cant read a map, never could, so we would never leave the village without our gps :thumb: Larry

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We watch tv, well the wife watches more, she comes from essex and reality progs are an education for her :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Correct and you get an extra point if you turn the Jack over on the 'pot'.

Where I come from you get an extra 2 points for turning over a jack 'on the pot'.
Obviously a lot of crib players....
violet

eric 83

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+yrs
i allways thought it was one for his Nibs (nobs is posh folk to us yorkys):winky:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back