Things that have changed your world (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
There is an another thread running at the moment about an inspirational video and it has just caused me to do something that will change my life hopefully for the better,has anyone’s life been changed for better or worse by what someone else has said or done ?

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yes, 1978 and an Army recruiting Sergeant.

Don't worry lad, they'll not cut much of your 'air off and you get a brew in bed on a Sunday:)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Me n the wife were 3/4 orphans in our 30's.
Said we'd quit work asap and make the most of life while we have our health - still saving for the wealth!

Last year I turned 50, (she's still a young one) and started the 5th year of full time travelling in the van.

Changed our lives (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well I do not know who first said

'Property, property, property'

and

'Location, location, location'

But having followed it and had 3 properties in SW London(still have the latest), the first when I could not afford to carpet it, which have financed, on top of my earnings, my very enhanced lifestyle enabling me to travel where I wanted, own a boat in Greece for 30 years and now a MH for 8 years.

I have also been able to dine who I wished where I wanted, entertained my friends as I wished etc.

Most importantly it has, for the last 7 years, allowed me to make the life of my Darling Basia so much easier, after struggling through Communist times and then to bring up 2 sons on her own. We have now had holidays in places she could not have dreamed of - Brazil, Canaries for 4 winters, skiing in Pyrenees, and of course Greece on the boat(now gone) and the MH from Scotland to the Pyrenees and many times in France, Germany, Benelux, Slowakia etc.

I consider that following that advice as life changing.

So to whoever first said it, a big 'Thank you'

Geoff and Basia

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..has anyone’s life been changed for better or worse by what someone else has said or done ?

Definitely. At age 50, after working in the same local school for 20 years I was told by a member of the senior leadership team to change the way I ran my subject so that OFSTED would be happy if they visited. When I replied that the change would jeapordise the children's results I was told that pleasing OFSTED was my first priority, and the children's results were expendable.

I resigned, and it was a definite change for the better.

Much earlier in my life, at age 17, my Mum warned me that if I didn't get my act together with my exams I'd end up sweeping the streets. I laughed (of course) and subsequently went on to fail the exams I needed to move forwards. A few months later, working in an unskilled job at the local municipal swimming baths, the manager handed me a broom one morning and told me to sweep the street outside the front door.

I never failed another exam after that. :)

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Change can be both good and bad

Back in the early 80's and attending industry association meetings, I kept pushing for us to do more to encourage youngsters to consider Collision Repair as a career.
One guy said "You always keep on about this, why don't you do something about it yourself?" So I did, I quit my job as a bodyshop manager and grabbed a place in uni and got my degree in Education. That changed my world. :)

30 rewarding years later, after travelling and working all around the world as a high school teacher and as an industry training manager, it was time to retire. A short 2 years later in 2017, my wonderfully supportive wife suddenly passed away. That really changed my world :(

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294

Back in the early 80's and attending industry association meetings, I kept pushing for us to do more to encourage youngsters to consider Collision Repair as a career.
One guy said "You always keep on about this, why don't you do something about it yourself?" So I did, I quit my job as a bodyshop manager and grabbed a place in uni and got my degree in Education. That changed my world. :)

30 years rewarding years later, after travelling and working all around the world as a high school teacher and as an industry training manager, it was time to retire. A short 2 years later in 2017, my wonderfully supportive wife suddenly passed away. That really changed my world :(
Wanted to like your post but did not seem appropriate due to your loss . So sad :(

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
"has anyone’s life been changed for better or worse by what someone else has said or done ?"

Yes, I was told in 1972 that I would never make an auctioneer as I stammered and was very shy. I was an auctioneer for over 30 years, started my own auction charity, and was awarded the MBE in 2008 for raising over £350,000 at Balls, events etc. Never listen to negatives, never give up and always encourage young people to dream big ideas.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Very true,honestly.. Seeing Jennifers face 61 + years ago started it. I missed out on about two of the years in between,but,without her i don't know where i would have been now.
Mr Jennifer

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

30 rewarding years later, after travelling and working all around the world as a high school teacher and as an industry training manager, it was time to retire. A short 2 years later in 2017, my wonderfully supportive wife suddenly passed away. That really changed my world :(

That’s such a shame.

Well done with the career though.(y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yes! Surgeon to my husband 'So what if you are in a wheelchair for life.....you are in one now!' That comment changed the fear of amputation and being wheelchair bound from the weeping and wailing kind of prospect to the...Oh! Yes! The last two years we've coped. Bring it on so we can get on with our lives!

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Yes! Surgeon to my husband 'So what if you are in a wheelchair for life.....you are in one now!' That comment changed the fear of amputation and being wheelchair bound from the weeping and wailing kind of prospect to the...Oh! Yes! The last two years we've coped. Bring it on so we can get on with our lives!
Well said. We applaud you both.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

Sad story and you have our genuine sympathy.

We have been married 49 years and would miss each other terribly. Our friends sometimes query why we always seem to do things together. Our thoughts are “Why wouldn’t we?”

Teaching is an under appreciated profession these days. Without you we would all be the poorer.(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Aged about 42, My best mate, went out to buy an award for a Golf Tournament. Stung by a Bee, he collapsed and died on the pavement outside a Pub, with people thinking he was Pissed!. This was a Guy who was part of the Open Heart Team at our local Hospital. Consequently, I took a long hard look, and decided that come 55 "hell or high water" I was off!. 55 came and I "put in" and after some "discussion", got early retirement. I have not looked back since. Started a self build and Did a bit here and there, with Winters in the Costa`s until 66. When we went off Wandering the USA. Now I just go for it day on day.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
For the better---- leaving my job as a college lecturer and going back to being self employed, started a new business from scratch.
Many years later in Cyprus, deciding on the spur of the moment to drive up to Troodos to see how cold it was. Found Holly ( dog) living wild in a pack, but on the verge of starvation. Best dog I've ever known and still with me 11 years on.
For the worse ----- my partner dying in a road accident within a year of moving to France. Worst day of my life.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
For the better---- leaving my job as a college lecturer and going back to being self employed, started a new business from scratch.
Many years later in Cyprus, deciding on the spur of the moment to drive up to Troodos to see how cold it was. Found Holly ( dog) living wild in a pack, but on the verge of starvation. Best dog I've ever known and still with me 11 years on.
For the worse ----- my partner dying in a road accident within a year of moving to France. Worst day of my life.

Sorry about the last bit:(

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
aged 27 I laid in a hospital bed wandering what to do with my life. The person next to me was visited by a surgeon, he pulled the curtain round him and said "sorry to say you have a tumor, its inoperable and you probably have short months left" he then proceeded to pull back the curtain and move on. It left me with this gent who was completely mortified. I spent the next few hours comforting him before he was sent home to die with his wife. Later a male nurse came to me and said the stress you have is killing you, think about a new career or vocation in life. I said I had no idea what I could do. He said that he had observed me with the gent next to me and that I should become a Nurse, he informed me that he had nursed all over the world and had had a great life doing so. The more I thought about it the more it made sense, I don't know why it just did.
I then proceeded to have to go to night school to get the required qualifications I needed to start Nurse training and having been kicked out of school at 14 had left there with nothing having been called stupid. Starting Adult education it was obvious to them why I I failed at school I was dyslexic, few adjustments and off I went.

When all my hardcore mates and Nikki stopped falling about laughing and calling me Gay for going in to nursing and realised I was serious my life improved and two degrees later and having had a fantastic career in the NHS for 15 years before moving on to management senior management and a very elevated position in the private sector I see myself as very fortunate.

And all because of two factors, the male nurse when I was poorly in hospital and my fantastic in laws and wife who supported me all the way through my training and my career, I truly believe I would not have been the person I am now if had not been for their encouragement.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Love it @Hollyberry in a sad way if you know what I mean :cool:

John Coulson

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
30 years
Reading a book called "Shrimpy" by Shane Acton.. around the world in a tiny tiny boat with £20 in his pocket.
Gave me itchy feet that still exist today.
Lucky to meet a girl who felt the same.
Been together and full timing now for over 30 years in boats caravans vans and just recently an RV.
We love life and have never had an argument in all that time, truly blessed.
Small hiccup in2008 when Dawn was diagnosed with breast cancer but she fought well and came out the other side.
Live life each day as if it is the last, you never know what's around the corner.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have to give my first wife a lot of credit here.

I was struggling with my Law Society Finals which were a foreign language to me. She told me that in the exams I should start at the beginning and assume the examiner was an idiot. I had always tried to start with the answer but she told me to start with the background to the answer first to make it look like I knew what I was talking about.

It worked and it’s thanks to her it did(y)

Boy I paid her back about 15 years later when we divorced:mad::D2

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning

I gave you a like for the first part ....... and sending you virtual hug for the second part.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back