Things that go pump in the night (1 Viewer)

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
Hi, new to the group and looking for a bit of advice on the plumbing in an elddis autoquest 140 2011 model. The pump seems to come on during the night and I am 99% sure I don't have any leaks in the van. I have recently replaced the pump with a new whale latest model which was a straight swap. When I look at the clear glass filter after the pump stops running, I can see water dripping back through it heading back towards the storage tank. Is there a non return valve fitted somewhere between the pump and the storage tank that could be faulty? Or any other suggestions that could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Jase

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
Does everyone turn their pump off when they are not using it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Can't answer for everyone, but I have always switched pump off when not in use also just open cold tap to relieve pressure on the system .never had a problem with surges noise or pumps going us :)

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My last caravan (a 2010 bought new Sterling Elite Explorer) had a habit of doing this but I was told that its alright, its only making sure the pressure is correct.

Hope this helps...Robert.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jase

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
When I bought the van I never had to turn it off at night this has been a sudden change.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jase

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
We found a drip on the old pump so we changed it, nothing leaking now almost 99% sure no leaks.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @Jase

I've got an Autoquest 155 (Marquis variant). My pump cuts in briefly at approx 10 mins intervals automatically to keep the pressure up. However, this is annoying at night, so I turn the pump off. Bit of a nuisance though because the loo flushes from the main tank and obviously needs the pump. It's just a question of what I stub my toe on when switching it on again!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jase

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
Toilet on ours is separate so wouldn't be a problem to turn off at night.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jase

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
The dogs don't pump but their snores are shocking..lol

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No we don't switch our pump off at night
The only time the pump started up I the night was when I left the tap in the bathroom dripping
Sounds to me like you have a leak or are not maintaining pressure

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jase

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
That's what I think as well and I am sure I am losing pressure because the water is making it's way back slowly over a few hours into the storage tank.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ours used to do it, although it was usually only every couple of hours - just the pressure switch "topping off" the pressure. A new pump (when we thought the old was on it's way out) did the same so we just switched it off overnight. Fitted one of those pressure reservoir thingies (onset of Alzheimers? can't remember name) and once we'd got the balance pressure right doesn't seem to happen any more.
But if yours is going every 10 mins you've got a leak, even if it is the "new improved" pump leaking back into the tank. Don't think there is a non-return valve fitted as standard but it should be relatively easy to do so if turning the pump off at night is a problem.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jase

Jase

Free Member
Dec 2, 2014
Alloa
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 140
Exp
Mines isn't every 10minutes .it seems to sit about 5 hours until it fires up during the nite then stays on like it's just turning air. I switch it of until morning.then in morning when I switch back on it'll run til we let some water through taps,turn the taps off then it'll go of as it should and will be fine for hours. But I was sure I could see water dripping back through the glass filter on the pump heading back to tank

Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Ever so slight back leak in the non return valve will cause it to pulse on intermittently..
Solution.
Turn the damn thing off at night.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Mine has done it (Autocruise) since I bought it 6 years ago and I haven't detected any leaks. I just live with the fact there is some slight decrease in pressure over time which the system is compensating for. I switch it off at night to avoid the shock to my system when it fires up:D

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you are loosing pressure - either via pump none return seal or a leak in the van somewhere -wrap all joints with loo roll and leave 24 hrs then check if any are wet/been wet if none are then it;s prob the pump seal -try adjusting pressure on the pump or taking pump back for a new one or as already been suggested turn pump off :D Once the pump pressurises it should remain for several hours before it senses a drop in pressure after that I think it would be acceptable for it to kick in ;)
It could be a very small drip on a tap or anything -you say your old pump did it so if the new one's doing the same I think you have a small leak somewhere ;)
terry

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Ours used to go off every few hours at night. Used to turn it off if I remembered, but now it seems to have stopped doing it.

Unless we can't hear it because we're being gassed every night... o_O

Steve :)

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We have had three problems in two vans with water, all highlighted by the water pump going when no Taps open. It may only be on for a few seconds, and it may be maintaining pressure, but if it starts then better to be safe than sorry and turn it off. I found two leaks very quickly when I turned pump on in the mornings and checked visible pipe routes. The last one a month or two ago I could not find, but the toilet flush was not working which in ours operates from the main pump. The dealer found a pipe had kinked in a covered area we could not see. Puzzling that, as it worked ok when we first got it. It may be nothing, but just in case do not ignore it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back