Thin end of wedge (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
just read that wild camping around Loch Lomond is going to be tightened up next year you have to buy a permit or face a £500 fine ! She's got a lot to answer for the most dangerous woman in GB?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nothing to do with her, or any other politician come to that.

If you want to blame someone blame the freeloaders that have constantly abused it by causing damage and leaving mess behind.

I don't see that the National Park Authority had any other option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
It's always the minority who spoil it for the majority, being mainly a wild camper myself I have always found myself picking up other people's rubbish basically so others won't think its us who have tossed it out...and every time I have cleared up after someone else its been someone in a car every time.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
just read that wild camping around Loch Lomond is going to be tightened up next year you have to buy a permit or face a £500 fine ! She's got a lot to answer for the most dangerous woman in GB?
[[

I must admit I would rather put up with her than the low lifes who have forced the national park to act in this way. The desecration of our countryside by these irresponsible people has to be stopped.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As Nick has said, the NPA had little choice. There is plenty of information on the NPA web site.
Just as an aside, legal wild camping in Scotland specifically excludes vehicles (including motorhomes).

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
No doubt about it then Freeloaders have shot themselves in the foot ... And while we are discussing this issue can someone please explain the difference between freeloaders and wild campers .. I await with interest your comments ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
can someone please explain the difference between freeloaders and wild campers
The only official definition we have for Wild Camping is enshrined in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (set up as a requirement of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003) which gives the following advice regarding wild camping: "Wild camping is defined as lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two to three nights in one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and keeping well away from buildings roads or historic structures. Take care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Leave no trace by: Taking away all your litter; Removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires); Not causing any pollution."

Thus, camping in a motorhome is not wild camping. Other areas of the UK do not have such a definition in law so I use the term Off Site Camping on my web site to provide for consistency.

I'm happy for anyone to call it Freeloading if they prefer :xrofl:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
So Graham if I read it right all those motorhome owners stating they are wild camping are in fact freeloaders and these are the ones that are causing all the problems.. Interesting. Lol.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So Graham if I read it right all those motorhome owners stating they are wild camping are in fact freeloaders and these are the ones that are causing all the problems.. Interesting. Lol.
Or off site campers :)

There are plenty of places where camping in a motorhome is legal (lay-bys without local restrictions for example). Problems only occur in such places if/when the numbers involved start to become too high. Nothing wrong with off site camping in such places :)

There are also lots of places where camping in a motorhome is not legal (where there are specific restrictions or where the 1960 Act is breached for example). Plenty of people get away with such camping but there is a higher likelihood of complaints happening or extra restrictions being imposed. Some might call that Freeloading :)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
No doubt about it then Freeloaders have shot themselves in the foot ... And while we are discussing this issue can someone please explain the difference between freeloaders and wild campers .. I await with interest your comments ..

Yes a wild camper stays in a spot for one maybe two days and leaves only foot prints, a freeloader is @JJ:giggler:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes a wild camper stays in a spot for one maybe two days and leaves only foot prints, a freeloader is @JJ:giggler:
No no by legal definition if I am right only camping for for a few nights in a tent is is wild camping all other camping is freeloading .

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

Not so much freeloaders as groups of antisocial people in their teens and 20s who believe they have the right to desecrate places of great beauty. Some do travel in vehicles with accommodation but many simply buy a 'festival tent' which they abandon after their visit.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
According to people we met around the Islands and Highlands, it seems to be the "go out buy a cheap tent a BBQ and a crate of beer campers" who are the main causer of problems. They leave everything behind after a weekend of partying.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

A wild camper is someone who will find a quiet out of the way place to camp and will leave no trace that they've been there when they move on. They would not dream of camping somewhere with restrictions or somewhere obviously inappropriate. They will happily pay any fee that might be required.

A freeloader is someone who thinks they have a divine right to park up anywhere they like for as long as they like regardless of restrictions and with no consideration for anyone else. This sort of person also usually passionately believes that they should not have to ever pay to park.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
I may be classed as a freeloader as i prefer to wild camp, and lastnight reminded me why.. Got to a campsite in northumberland, £25 per night with EHU, showers, toilets were diabolially very poor, one tap working for the whole site, no lights near chemical waste so you couldn't see what you were doing, then after emptying you had to walk across the site for water to rinse the toilet out, no grey waste point for emptying tank, wifi was crap, had to move to another spot to pick up sat tv... Here i am at Grasmere parked up watching tv looking for an illegal film to watch tonight on Kofi, wifi is off the scale, got better stuff here in the middle of nowhere and its cost me a big fat zero

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
A wild camper is someone who will find a quiet out of the way place to camp and will leave no trace that they've been there when they move on. They would not dream of camping somewhere with restrictions or somewhere obviously inappropriate. They will happily pay any fee that might be required.

A freeloader is someone who thinks they have a divine right to park up anywhere they like for as long as they like regardless of restrictions and with no consideration for anyone else. This sort of person also usually passionately believes that they should not have to ever pay to park.
I can think of many motorhome owners on this forum who passionately believe they should never have to pay to park ....

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I may be classed as a freeloader as i prefer to wild camp, and lastnight reminded me why.. Got to a campsite in northumberland, £25 per night with EHU, showers, toilets were diabolially very poor, one tap working for the whole site, no lights near chemical waste so you couldn't see what you were doing, then after emptying you had to walk across the site for water to rinse the toilet out, no grey waste point for emptying tank, wifi was crap, had to move to another spot to pick up sat tv... Here i am at Grasmere parked up watching tv looking for an illegal film to watch tonight on Kofi, wifi is off the scale, got better stuff here in the middle of nowhere and its cost me a big fat zero
Exacly .. Freeloading ..lol..

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Reading nicnics post i am not a freeloader after all.. If i have to pick up litter its not mine, and i dont ever leave any, our rubbish is bagged and put in the garage or the next bin we find, dont park anywhere were it states you shouldn't.. But i admit i have done once in the past..

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I remember Loch Lomond from 45 years ago, nothing has changed. Young folk from Glasgow would come up for the weekend and have a 48 hour binge. Something had to be done about it, just surprised its taken so long. We used to go to Rowardennan on the east shore and camp on the beach, a few beers but no binge as such, and we cleared up after ourselves.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not so much freeloaders as groups of antisocial people in their teens and 20s who believe they have the right to desecrate places of great beauty. Some do travel in vehicles with accommodation but many simply buy a 'festival tent' which they abandon after their visit.
According to people we met around the Islands and Highlands, it seems to be the "go out buy a cheap tent a BBQ and a crate of beer campers" who are the main causer of problems. They leave everything behind after a weekend of partying.
They certainly appear to have been the main cause of the problems which the NPA is addressing.
Having said that, though, motorhome camping was never allowed where true Wild Camping was allowed in the national park.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Reading nicnics post i am not a freeloader after all.. If i have to pick up litter its not mine, and i dont ever leave any, our rubbish is bagged and put in the garage or the next bin we find, dont park anywhere were it states you shouldn't.. But i admit i have done once in the past..
I suppose it depends whereabouts in Grasmere you are :)
There aren't always physical signs prohibiting camping where one shouldn't. In national parks, for instance, off road camping in motorhomes is almost always banned throughout the park and there certainly aren't signs all over the place :)

OP
OP
T
Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
This time of year can they be bothered,BUT a no no during the summer . What a place thou , the wind and the waves , excellent got to get back to Scotland, I am down in Cornwall lovely few hrs at cape Cornwall . Think I will head to exmouth seafront for Saturday nite .

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
This time of year can they be bothered,BUT a no no during the summer . What a place thou , the wind and the waves , excellent got to get back to Scotland, I am down in Cornwall lovely few hrs at cape Cornwall . Think I will head to exmouth seafront for Saturday nite .
Exmouth is lovely, Cant believe no other mh here mind, quiet and bliss no boy racers either.:xgrin:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
If that's the case why are motorhomeers being targeted....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back