They should be ashamed who chucked this away (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Check the wheel rims. Some bikes have rims worb thin through wear (braking) and have become dangerous.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
WhenI was a young lad there was a council tip near me where the "bin lorries "used to tip their stuff.On site was the "caretaker ? --a little old man named Aurther Keeling who used to sort out the old bike bits/pram wheels (go carts ) and any other interesting bits (to kids like us anyway ).After school me and a cou[le of mates would go up and collect the said bits to build bikes (nobody had a new one as I know ) and "go carts.Justup the road from me on the way was (still is ! ) a hairpin corner side of the wood.When the wagons from Croxden gravel came round we would jump out the side and hang on the rear tipper bar until the next corner Wagons were a bit slower then.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My self and the wee man will be out on our tip bikes tomorrow for our Daley exercise the roads are dead just now don't know why

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp

Most things from the 70s was built proper and made to last, not like today's throw away society trash, you may have got an odd exception which you have highlighted.
[/QUOTE]
Like Morris marinas :giggle:

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well over a year since I started this thread after buying these bikes for pennies from the tip the gents one works a bloody treat I have had some lovely rides out in it. The Raleigh badge is probably worth more than I paid for the bike.

The ladies one works nice too Caz hasn’t ridden it much though I like a go on it. The Sturmey Archer gears work a treat I squirted a drop of oil in and smooth as silk.

You can even see the Motorhome as a little bonus.

Raleigh certainly built these 2 bikes well.

29EF4F4F-33BF-4371-99AA-B175F2AC8E93.jpeg 5F15035E-8F93-43C6-84D1-DAAD41C88AB7.jpeg 4714834A-4DBA-40FA-856C-434A03ABF72E.jpeg 461A2083-EE8C-465A-90BE-73C731665AA6.jpeg

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Hand built in Ilkeston and comparatively rare, particularly in mint condition. I refurbish vintage steel bikes particularly Carlton and Raleigh. This has been on EBay for some time and may one day sell although realistically they sell closer to £1500/£1600. Beautiful bikes and these are identical, coming out of the same factory, to the Professional Team bikes of the 70’s and early 80’s when Raleigh won the Tour De France. British designed and built bikes ridden in the main by Dutch riders.
Finished up with the a lot of the running gear off one of the team Raleigh bikes from their first year on the continental race scene 1973, it came off Dave Lloyd's bike I believe, that year the kit used was a bit down market, simplex and not Campag - built it up into a 72 Olympics issue Harry Quinn that was copper plated. Raced that one for 2 years before selling on for more than i paid to the guy i bought it off!
20210127_071843.jpg

That's my little brother Will, dig the mid ups fashion.
Well over a year since I started this thread after buying these bikes for pennies from the tip the gents one works a bloody treat I have had some lovely rides out in it. The Raleigh badge is probably worth more than I paid for the bike.

The ladies one works nice too Caz hasn’t ridden it much though I like a go on it. The Sturmey Archer gears work a treat I squirted a drop of oil in and smooth as silk.

You can even see the Motorhome as a little bonus.

Raleigh certainly built these 2 bikes well.

View attachment 460393 View attachment 460394 View attachment 460396 View attachment 460399
Love the view you have, and what a great thread.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
My son in law’s finds at their local tip include a soldier’s bible. My daughter traced its original owner from name and number inside and found he’d signed up with one of the Pals regiments.
did she offer it to a museum or even try and trace any family? what a nice thing that would be to the soldiers family, to have something like that returned. we still have some of the death pennies in our family. sadly we dont have the one for my great grandfather but i did visit the site of his death, just outside Ypres a couple of years ago and left an encapsulated copy of a letter to his widow from his best friend who served with him, along with information about him.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Before I started at senior school I wanted a bike to ride to school rather than getting the bus. Our naibors had a racing bike in there garage and gave it to me to restore.
It as a ten speed Viking racing bike. With paper round and odd job money I rebuilt it. I rode that for miles in all weathers and I don’t think it ever let me down.
I couldn’t take it with me when I joined the army so I sold it to my dads accountant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back