Thetford toilet opening flap problem (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Actually more than a problem, it's completely come away from its fitting.

My C-402L's opening twisting compartment - I had'nt even realised it had one until I "You Tubed" it - is jammed solid and I can't turn it in order to fit a new flap component. Have been told that it has calcified to the extent that it is now totally jammed. Shame as the local Spanish MH accessory shop has a flap component in stock.

Has anyone had similar experience and managed to sort it out somehow? Any suggestions that will de-calcify the joint? (Anyone who knows bout this will appreciate how difficult it will be to soak anything in the affected part.)

Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
White vinegar and hot water will dissolve the calcification. even then the rubber seal makes it very tight to turn

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it's anything like the Thetford cassette I had to repair in the pouring rain in a car park in Briancon after the round flap jammed then fell off inside, it's possible to unscrew the entire assembly from the top to get inside and fiddle with it. However, maybe you've already done that? The solution from @TheBig1 sounds as good as any - I was also wondering if cheap Coca Cola might help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
A couple of years ago - in Switzerland - we had a major problem with the flap falling apart.

It was all to do with the change in air-pressure at altitude. When we tried to use the toilet, initially the flap wouldn't move, but then - applying more pressure - it did, and completely collapsed!

Worse, it prevented the cassette from being removed from the van - we were well stuck...

Fortunately, there was a Thetford agent not too far away, in Interlarken, who was able to remove the cassette with a big (30-minute) struggle. It then only took a very short time to re-assemble the whole thing and we were on our way with the loo functioning normally. Given our location, I thought the bill - which was less than 30 quid - wasn't too bad at all.

Anyway, try this link to find a Thetford agent in Spain - there should be loads of them:

http://www.thetford-europe.com/dealers-service-centres/?country=Spain

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out. :xThumb:

PS, We never completely close the trap now, especially if in the mountains, so the change in pressure doesn't cause a re-occurrence.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Most of the Thetford cassettes I've seen have a valve that opens when you slide it into place to prevent pressure differential problems, I wonder if @mikebeaches one had stuck ?
@sciac2001 if you can get the cassette out, just undo the 6 screws holding the rubber seal in place, this gives you a bit more room to work and you should be able to clip the flap back in place. The cam track that guides the flap can get a build up of calcified organic matter :sick: as others have said, citric acid or vinegar and warm water will shift most of it.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Most of the Thetford cassettes I've seen have a valve that opens when you slide it into place to prevent pressure differential problems, I wonder if @mikebeaches one had stuck ?
@sciac2001 if you can get the cassette out, just undo the 6 screws holding the rubber seal in place, this gives you a bit more room to work and you should be able to clip the flap back in place. The cam track that guides the flap can get a build up of calcified organic matter :sick: as others have said, citric acid or vinegar and warm water will shift most of it.
That might indeed have been the problem! As a matter of a fact, the day after it was fixed we went up into the mountains again and the same thing happened!!! :( Fortunately, I managed to extricate the cassette myself that time and fix the flap too. But that's when we decided to keep the flap ajar.

However, that was on our previous van - so should be OK on the new one.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
It isn't that difficult to dismantle, and if you force it you'll break the anchor pin out of the bottom of the plate. See the second picture.

Four screws hold it all in place, plus the screw holding the knob. We used Vaseline as a lubricant.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

We made an aluminium stiffening plate to go over the broken out pivot and Araldited it all back together with screws to hold the plate as well as the Araldite. That was May 2013 and it is still holding and working OK.

Peter

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A couple of years ago - in Switzerland - we had a major problem with the flap falling apart.

It was all to do with the change in air-pressure at altitude.

Interesting that you should mention pressure, as ours fell apart fairly high up in the French Alps.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
before the days of cassette toilets having a pressure relief valve, friends of ours ignored the advice of opening the flap slightly before driving up into the mountains. the resultant release of pressure when they went to use the loo first time on an alpine site sprayed liquid poo up the wall and into his face

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Use Olive oil (with Popeye's consent :xThumb:) to lube the seal and blade.
Vaseline etc is petroleum based and will eventually attack and destroy the rubber seal.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Use Olive oil (with Popeye's consent :xThumb:) to lube the seal and blade.
Vaseline etc is petroleum based and will eventually attack and destroy the rubber seal.
We actually have Thetford lubricant in an aerosol can. (y)

And we bought a new Thetford flap mechanism - carried it, but never need to fit it. Still have it on board as a spare in the new van because the cassette is the same as the previous one.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You need the new Thetford model. :xThumb: Guaranteed never to calcimate, but it might answer you back now and again.......:xsurprised:

bogi.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back