Thetford Toilet - Emptying at home - YUK!!! (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Strange how poo gets lots of interest.
May I suggest a way?

Leave blade open, open door on outside and pull out the drain neck on the cassette, unscrew the cap and drain into bucket, the level has now dropped below the blade. Screw cap back on. Close blade and then remove cassette.

Slide into dustbin liner and take to toilet.

There aint no escape, you made it, you empty it !

Good luck and no pictures required.

Now go and get them Marigolds..................and peg !

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Pinkie
Feel for ya.. But when you do get it out and emptied.. Take the opportunity to stripit as bbest you can (c heck manual) .. Thorough clean.. With brush and detergent.. And wipe a little olive oil on cleaned rubber seals. Clean Bay before putting back

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
May I suggest a way?

Leave blade open, open door on outside and pull out the drain neck on the cassette, unscrew the cap and drain into bucket, the level has now dropped below the blade. Screw cap back on. Close blade and then remove cassette.

Yes, everyone loves someone else being in the shit!!!!

Thanks for the tip, I will probably go with that, preferable to soaking up brown water with kitchen towels.

I am SO going to buy a gas mask!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Yes, do not go lifting the manholes in the street. Local authorities will be on you in a jiffy, and so will the neighbours.
You must have a manhole somewhere around your home.
Where the toilet is inside, there should be a manhole the other side of the wall, on the outside. Usually the toilet will go to the outside in the shortest distance, i.e. straight through the wall. to a manhole, then turn towards the main sewer.
If the toilet is at the back of the house, it will come to a manhole outside on the path, and turn left or right, to the corner of the house, then turn again with an inspection cover over it, and head for the sewer, usually in the road.
A sewer has to have a manhole/inspection chamber at every turn, so any rodding is done in a straight line from and to, any covers.

Craig

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Pinkie, I feel your pain, but you can do this, dreading it all night is not gonna change the outcome. So enjoy that wine tonight.
Tomorrow, pop a smear of Vic's on your top lip (this helps with the smell) definitely use rubber gloves (and be prepared to sling them away after) ditto old clothes if it really gets dramatic. Have everything ready and close to hand, kitchen rolls or copious amounts of loo roll, toilet brush, wet wipes, bin bags, bucket etc. don't use bleach on your MH loo it affects the plastic but by god spread it every where else....have the garden hose ready to clean the cassette or watering can of water.
If you have no option to use your loo upstairs, spread newspaper on the floor and move towels etc out of the way in case of splash back.
Good luck and remember some things you dread doing actually aren't that bad once you've done it...for everything else there's fabreeze:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Shit happens !!!

28 people watching this post (including me !) why are we so interested in defecation and it's problems ! ????????????????:Doh::Doh::Doh:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Pinkie, I feel your pain, but you can do this, dreading it all night is not gonna change the outcome.

Ha ha Mousey,

Not dreading it any more, i'm on my third glass and feeling happily relaxed!

I will update you all with the outcome tomorrow. If I can tackle it AT IT'S WORST, a daily emptying will be nothing for me!

I would like to be one of this people that never do number 2's in their van and use public toilets, but I probably would rather do it in my knickers than a public toilet. No 1's in a public toilet is a problem, but needs must! When my daughter went in the bus station on the way to Istanbul one night, and the stench reached you half a mile away.......................I wasn't going to go in, I would rather piss my pants to be honest, but in I went, simply because she insisted, and tried the fine balancing act of pulling trousers down, without getting the ends near the pissy floor (impossible!) and hovering over the Turkish toilet, trying to not inhale anything, not slip in anything and not piss over myself!

Suffice to say, I didn't arrive in Istanbul smelling of roses!

So Thetford toilet may be a love it or hate it relationship in Morocco, but I am going to need it!

Still, let's not discuss it anymore - raise a glass to Italy - and their fine Prosecco and all will be resolved in the morning! :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You could try syphoning it out into a bucket.

Get a length of pipe and place one end in the cassette and the other in your mouth.

Then just suck.

Timing is then everything::bigsmile:

Ps. Any "solids" would need to be scooped separately.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ha ha Mousey,

Not dreading it any more, i'm on my third glass and feeling happily relaxed!

I will update you all with the outcome tomorrow. If I can tackle it AT IT'S WORST, a daily emptying will be nothing for me!

I would like to be one of this people that never do number 2's in their van and use public toilets, but I probably would rather do it in my knickers than a public toilet. No 1's in a public toilet is a problem, but needs must! When my daughter went in the bus station on the way to Istanbul one night, and the stench reached you half a mile away.......................I wasn't going to go in, I would rather piss my pants to be honest, but in I went, simply because she insisted, and tried the fine balancing act of pulling trousers down, without getting the ends near the pissy floor (impossible!) and hovering over the Turkish toilet, trying to not inhale anything, not slip in anything and not piss over myself!

Suffice to say, I didn't arrive in Istanbul smelling of roses!

So Thetford toilet may be a love it or hate it relationship in Morocco, but I am going to need it!

Still, let's not discuss it anymore - raise a glass to Italy - and their fine Prosecco and all will be resolved in the morning! :thumb:

That is a great description of a lot of the toilets on Morocco campsites.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So you better start to love your Thetford.... :thumb:
Empty regular is the key..... and whenever there is an opportunity, so on your travels down through Spain make use of any facilites you find.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When you say it's been in there since Amsterdam. Is that since you went over and bought it ? Or have you been again since .
If so , it will be very smelly.:whatthe: even if there are only number ones in it.

Your house will stink. If you empty up in your bathroom.
You will wretch and gip , probably like the woman in the vid :Eeek:

Put some Vicks vapour rub under your nose , above your top lip. It will disguise the smell a bit.
If you can't find a manhole in your garden. I'd Ask a neighbour if you can tip it in theirs. That's what I'd do.
Well , I wouldn't , I've never emptied it , it's Ralph's job:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If the thought of emptying puts your off that much you could get a long piece of hose put one end in the cassette - make sure the other end is lower and suck hard before draining the liquid into a bucket to dispose of ........only joking.....just follow the vid and you'll be fine ...if you have a child it's nowhere near as bad as runny nappies..so I am told :)

:Blush: Sorry, but I have to disagree with that one.......give me the runny nappies any day:thumb: Emptying the cassette is a "man's job"! Bill doesn't mind doing it at all, and we're fortunate enough to be on a septic tank at home for that, although he usually sorts it all before we leave a site.
Runny nappies........no problem for me, but the strange thing is, Bill was never good at the "runny nappies" or any nappies to be honest:RollEyes:

Margaret::bigsmile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We too have a manhole in our back garden but in the absence of one for you there's only one solution, take it next door and ask your neighbour nicely if you can empty it down their loo! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
:Smile:,
:Blush: Sorry, but I have to disagree with that one.......give me the runny nappies any day:thumb: Emptying the cassette is a "man's job"! Bill doesn't mind doing it at all, and we're fortunate enough to be on a septic tank at home for that, although he usually sorts it all before we leave a site.
Runny nappies........no problem for me, but the strange thing is, Bill was never good at the "runny nappies" or any nappies to be honest:RollEyes:

Margaret::bigsmile:

SNAP Margaret.:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
:Smile:,

SNAP Margaret.:thumb:

:roflmto: At least with the runny nappies it was all contained within one small area........there is no way the cassette would ever be allowed in the house, that goodness for the slab over the septic tank:thumb:

Margaret

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I take every opportunity to empty the cassette, daily if possible. That way it's not too heavy and it never gets full and catches us out. (though we carry a spare but so far have never needed it)

As we use Bio washing liquid not the dreaded blue stuff there is no problem emptying at home if necessary, use downstairs cloakroom, though when we get home it will be nearly empty anyway.
The blue stuff stains everything it comes in contact with.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My old Hymer had that system, moved from green to red to show it was filling up.
The one we have now has a red light, only time i have seen it work was in the middle of the night, of course it was raining and had to be emptied early before using.

That's why we have a spare cassette ::bigsmile: It happened twice on our first two trips.

There really should be an access to sewer on your property-look for the down pipe from toilet and then look laterally on either side from that.
Ours is just outside kitchen door-phew lol.

Mike

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Okay guys,

I just can't believed how "poo" obsessed this forum is, next you will be asking me to do one on a glass table and submit the photo's, (Okay I'm sure there is a forum out there somewhere, but "honestly" I thought it was a myth!!!)

Clearly all the motorhomefunners are banned from the coffee table site for some reason or another!!! :ROFLMAO:

Now I've managed to drink the WHOLE BOTTLE of Prosecco, i'm feeling rather merry and on black coffee, but I do know this...................

There is the soil pipe (where I have taken out the toilet downstairs (at the back of the house) did it all myself and capped off inside............I shall investigate where it goes outside, otherwise uncap it, because it is in the process of being turned into my larder but totally bare at the moment, the owners before me liked rough red brick indoors, so that is a possible solution.

Have multiple patio doors on my house so lots of air wafts available to blow the smell through.

Now back to the glass coffee table............................absolutely not!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Am I the only person on here who checks the level in the holding tank by looking in it when I've used it?

I'd never rely on the "gauge thingy" to be accurate - in fact I can only recall one caravan I've had which had a gauge on the cassette toilet to show when it was full. The various porta-pottis I've had certainly don't have any exterior method of showing when they are replete.

Hope all goes well tomorrow Pinkie.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Okay guys,

I just can't believed how "poo" obsessed this forum is, next you will be asking me to do one on a glass table and submit the photo's, (Okay I'm sure there is a forum out there somewhere, but "honestly" I thought it was a myth!!!)

Clearly all the motorhomefunners are banned from the coffee table site for some reason or another!!! :ROFLMAO:

Now I've managed to drink the WHOLE BOTTLE of Prosecco, i'm feeling rather merry and on black coffee, but I do know this...................

There is the soil pipe (where I have taken out the toilet downstairs (at the back of the house) did it all myself and capped off inside............I shall investigate where it goes outside, otherwise uncap it, because it is in the process of being turned into my larder but totally bare at the moment, the owners before me liked rough red brick indoors, so that is a possible solution.

Have multiple patio doors on my house so lots of air wafts available to blow the smell through.

Now back to the glass coffee table............................absolutely not!!!! :ROFLMAO:

As regards the glass coffee table, Noddy Holder did do this in Hamburg for £25 for a German nightclub owner when Slade was starting out. True !!

When we get our motorhome there is going to be a BIG padlock securing the loo cover down !! Only in the event of a National Emergency will it be unlocked. Hey, we've been to India, public toilets in the UK and France hold no fears for us.

Meanwhile, I've found just the thing for you on Ebay. Less than £20.

Attachments

• cham haz.jpg
    cham haz.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 17

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If you pop into Halfords, or any local car spares shop, you should be able to buy a fuel syphoning device very cheaply (a manual plastic jobby) which will enable you to syphon off the liquid into bucket loads which you can then carry much easier than the whole cassette. Leave some liquid in the cassette though so that what is left of the solids will come out easier when you drain the final bit.

Good luck!

Mike

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
How am I supposed to do that? Scoop it out? Oh my god - it gets worse!!!!

Take an Empty fairy liquid type bottle
And a bucket

Turn bottle upside down squeeze air out

Insert into the liquid (toilet bowl) let bottle expand sucking liquid up

Hold bottle over bucket and squeeze gently ( think splash )

Repeat till at an acceptable level at least below level of cassette opening

It's a horrid job

but preferable too cleaning it up when the cassette is pulled out

And you view the flood inside your mobile palace:thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
:Doh:Double post

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Okay guys,

Dirty girl :winky::ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
May I suggest a way?

i would use this method but first drive the opposite side of the van to the thetford door up on levelling ramps to assist the flow but be careful removing the cap.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
If you pop into Halfords, or any local car spares shop, you should be able to buy a fuel syphoning device very cheaply (a manual plastic jobby) which will enable you to syphon off the liquid into bucket loads which you can then carry much easier than the whole cassette. Leave some liquid in the cassette though so that what is left of the solids will come out easier when you drain the final bit.

Good luck!

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the advice, i'm sure it was meant well but you have just ruined my good mood at the thought of doing that!!!!

I can't even let the instructions go into my "blonde" brain, otherwise I shall be thinking about that for days!

I prefer the do-in-one thing with the previous suggestion of suit/mask ebay for under £20!!!!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
May i ask, out of curiosity, how much does a cassette hold? I mean litres, not richard the thirds!

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back