Thetford N80 Fridge - not cooling? (1 Viewer)

kwism

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
KENT
Funster No
MH
Looking2buy...help!
Exp
none
My fridge is not cooling. I can hear the gas clicking to ignite, the dial moves up to green, and with the temp dial on highest, it just doesn't cool. I've tried the mains and battery settings, even overnight, but still nothing. Any ideas?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Can you see if the burner is actually igniting ? If you can't see it, you can usually hear a little "roar" from it when it's burning. Another idea that sometimes works is to turn the temperature dial down to about 2/3rds as sometimes they aren't so good running flat out.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
The tried and tested fix is to remove the fridge turn it upside down over night. Try it on mains if working ok refit. No cost apart from time and effort. If it does not work on mains it is already out for further investigation

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Check the state of the thermal paste on the back of the fins,it'll operate on the same principles as Thetford.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kwism

kwism

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
KENT
Funster No
MH
Looking2buy...help!
Exp
none
I guess from your Profile that the m/h is new to you, so has the fridge ever worked for you?
Hi Spriddler - Yes, I bought it from motorhomedepot.com just recent (Auto-Sleeper Windrush) - I do have an incline on my driveway which is greater than 3 degrees, but I parked it flat over Easter but still not cooling!

Upvote 0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
The fridge works by creating heat to drive the refridgerant around, the heat can be created by gas flame or an electric element either 240v or 12v.
At the top rear of the fridge you will be able to feel the warmth from this heat.
Remove the top rear vent cover and you will see a series of fins around a horizontal pipe. Are they warm or hot.

If on 240v the element could be faulty.
If on gas the jet could be blocked or the flue sooted up.
I would try on mains first. If you can feel heat the element will be ok. It will take a while to produce heat on those fins.
If the fins are hot and the internal freezer plate fins do not get cold then its an issue with the refridgerant or possibly the paste on rear of the freezer fins has dried out.
If fridge works on any heat source the refridgerant circuit is ok.
Hope this might help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Hi Spriddler - Yes, I bought it from motorhomedepot.com just recent (Auto-Sleeper Windrush) - I do have an incline on my driveway which is greater than 3 degrees, but I parked it flat over Easter but still not cooling!
O.K. but the point of my post was querying whether it has ever worked for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kwism

kwism

Free Member
Feb 1, 2021
KENT
Funster No
MH
Looking2buy...help!
Exp
none
The fridge works by creating heat to drive the refridgerant around, the heat can be created by gas flame or an electric element either 240v or 12v.
At the top rear of the fridge you will be able to feel the warmth from this heat.
Remove the top rear vent cover and you will see a series of fins around a horizontal pipe. Are they warm or hot.

If on 240v the element could be faulty.
If on gas the jet could be blocked or the flue sooted up.
I would try on mains first. If you can feel heat the element will be ok. It will take a while to produce heat on those fins.
If the fins are hot and the internal freezer plate fins do not get cold then its an issue with the refridgerant or possibly the paste on rear of the freezer fins has dried out.
If fridge works on any heat source the refridgerant circuit is ok.
Hope this might help.
Many thanks indeed, very helpful - I'll give all that a go (y)

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
that'll be never then.. since I got it a few weeks ago :giggle:
A quick word, then, with Motorhome Depot seems to be in order - though as they only act as agents for the sellers I don't think you'll get very far.
At the very least you may be able to get some clarification from the previous owner.

Otherwise all of the above applies.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Not new then, so could be just past it's use by date. If it's not working under any power supply condition the refrigerant side sounds the most likely candidate.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back