Thetford N3000 Series Auto energy selection

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Paul J, May 10, 2018.

1. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +75
    I'm returning to this hobby after around 15 years, in that time, it seems that the Auto-Selecting fridge has become popular. I have a Rollerteam van with the Thetford N3000 Fridge Freezer. I understand (I think) the basics of the auto-selection, but I'm curious to understand which battery is utilised and how.

so, I'm plugged in on site, the fridge uses the EHU,

lets say I unplugged that, but didn't drive the van away, if my gas bottle is turned on, I assume that fridge uses gas.

If I then so and switch off the gas bottle and return to the van (assuming the fridge instantly goes off)

... and this is the question.....

will the fridge be currently powered by anything ? and I'm guessing it will be bleeping to tell me to at least start the engine, at which point it becomes supported by the alternator *

* is it true to sort of guess that it's actually running then from a combination of the two batteries, sort of propped up by the alternator ? .... so, without the engine running, I'm going to get warnings from the fridge that it's no longer cooling, otherwise, it would just run the battery flat ?

please comment or correct me if I'm wrong, many thanks

Paul

2. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +75
    I also notice, that when running on EHU, I can unplug this, and the fridge lights the gas, truly smart, but when I turn the gas off (ie, if it had run out) , the fridge doesn't warn in any way, only continually tried to ignite gas that isn't there, it does this every few minutes, and there's nothing on the display to indicate that the fridge is no longer running, in fact, it still indicates 'gas' operations, not so smart

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,047
    Correct.....
    It prioritises hookup, then gas then,12v (normally only with engine running)
    If you start the engine with gas turned on it will continue to use gas.
    If you are using gas then plug in hookup it will switch to hookup.
    Without any power source it will assume gas is available and try to ignite until the engine is started or the fridge or control panel is manually switched off.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  4. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,326
    Correct providing it is wired correctly.
    The only indication given ( by ours) that there is a problem. Is the blue light flashes.
    When we got the van back from dealer repair they had left an extra fuse in the board which meant it would run the leisure batteries down.

5. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +14,178
    Dont think so john... it will select the 12v feed if the engine is running...
    Or at least im pretty sure mine does..
    Andy

Andy..

6. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for the replies folks, I'm sure that I'll learn pretty quick as we get using it :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +14,178
    Again from memory i think itwill make so many ignition attempts and then display an error message on the control panel..ie it wont continue indefinately to light on gas..
    Andy

8. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Ratings:
    +568
    Mine goes to battery when I start the engine if its set to auto mode

9. Paul J

Paul J Funster

Ratings:
    +75
    Yep, makes some sense, pretty well thought out :)

10. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Ratings:
    +425
    Mine does too. More important, when the engine stops, it goes back to gas. Useful if you park up for an hour or two, with the manual switch I usually forgot to switch to gas.

There is a delay of about 15 minutes before it switches on the gas. This is specifically to cope with stopping for fuel. You don't want the gas flame to come on next to the fuel pump!

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. andy63

andy63 Funster

Ratings:
    +14,178
    That reminds me.. i ment to check that delay.. i have a feeling mine is much shorter as ive heard the it running on gas not long after parking up
    and thinking that shouldnt have cut in yet...
    Andy.