Thetford n180 fridge

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Bart, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Bart

Bart Funster

Ratings:
    +1,492
    I'm sure this is normal but I just wanted to check as I never noticed it before.
    When running the fridge on Gas and I am outside the mh I have noticed that it burns constantly, and does not stop and start as required to keep the temperature as demanded. As for the fridge performance it's fine 100% we just keep it at its lowest setting as that is cool enough for us, I just wondered if the burner being lit for 100% of the time was normal.

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Never noticed ours go off during the day but I have heard it light in the night.

3. WillH

WillH Funster

Ratings:
    +3,163
    Ours goes off and on, it is set to three bars on the thermostat.

4. A and B in the Huzzie

A and B in the Huzzie Funster

Ratings:
    +38
    Ours is a different model but it's on until down to temperature then it trips on and off as the temperature varies.

5. Bart

Bart Funster

Ratings:
    +1,492
    Interesting guess I'll have to listen closer to ours more often to make sure and see if it stays on 100% of the time or does cut on and off, BTW before when I had problems with the fridge, the igniter, pcb and internal fridge sensor we replaced, so doubt it would be the internal sensor as it was placed on the same fin inside the fridge.

6. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,716
    I've just had a look at the exploded spares drawing for the N180. It has a gas solenoid and the ignitor is contolled by the electronics. As far as I can see it should switch off & oon to control temperature.

7. Just smiffy

Just smiffy Funster

Ratings:
    +13,005
    I suspect you have it turned down too much, if you have it on the lowest setting it won’t retain the cold therefore the burner is constantly trying to keep up, with the temps in northern France where you are now I would advise to set it on “3” you may find the burner goes out when the fridge reaches temperature....

I know it sounds silly but it will probably use less gas.... it’s the same when it’s too hot out side and people turn the fridge up when in fact it’s better when it’s on medium...

Hope that makes sense...(n)

Try it and see..(y)

8. Bart

Bart Funster

Ratings:
    +1,492
    Thanks I will try that, BTW we have even in the UK for the last 4 days and its then that I noticed it was going all the time, now we are in France ill switch it to three and try that, thanks

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Bart

Bart Funster

Ratings:
    +1,492
    OK tried it at three and still staying lit the whole time, i even put back in the old sensor from the inside of the fridge that I had previously purchased a new one at the time my pcb was faulty and the fridge would not stay lit.
    I also turned the fridge up to five ( max ) for a few hrs and let it get a lot colder inside, then turned it down to one ( min ), but yet it still just burns 100% of the time.
    I'm gonna try and contact Thetford and make sure it should not stay burning all the time.
    BTW anyone else here have or had a Thetford n180 fridge and knows what is normal.??