LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was wondering if anyone can suggest a way of getting rid of 'black bits' which have appeared in the flush water of my Thetford.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It could be mould in the tank so flushing the tank may help,or it could be a rubber seal breaking down.
Don the gloves and pick a piece up.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I was wondering if anyone can suggest a way of getting rid of 'black bits' which have appeared in the flush water of my Thetford.

Ive got just the solution but its a bit drastic im afraid :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Flog the motorhome and buy an RV with a decent loo :thumb::Eeek::ROFLMAO::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From what I've read it's supposedly mould. Whether it is controlled or increased by the Thetford pink stuff is not clear - from what I've read.

As it happens we've just decided today to move on to the organic stuff which can be used in both cassette and flush system. Buying some tomorrow then it will be a matter of cleaning all the other stuff out of the system before we can use it - hopefully the weather will hold here in the North East to give us enough time to do so :Smile:

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ive got just the solution but its a bit drastic im afraid :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Flog the motorhome and buy an RV with a decent loo :thumb::Eeek::ROFLMAO::winky:

Why do that when you've got a County Durham built model that has all the essentials, can be parked & pitched more or less anywhere and can be driven down narrow roads without closing your eyes? :roflmto:

Graham

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

I'm quite convinced that it's (if not caused then certainly not helped by) the pink flushing stuff - but then they have a product for getting rid of the black bits and I'm a cynic :roflmto:.

We have now gone over to the bio stuff, but before we did I put about a desertspoonfull of jacuzzi chlorine powder in clean water in the flush tank and filled it to the brim, left it for a couple of hours and then drained it down and made sure it was well flushed away squirting the hose all around the inside of the tank (lift the loo roll holder). I now add about 100 ml or so of Carasept to the flush tank when I refill it. Seems to work not too bad, but it hasn't stopped it completely.

Might talk to the Cara Sept people at Malvern, see what they say.

John

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Why do that when you've got a County Durham built model that has all the essentials, can be parked & pitched more or less anywhere and can be driven down narrow roads without closing your eyes? :roflmto:

Graham

Because you dont get black stuff floating in your loo!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
easy, peasy, stop eating indigestable currents!!!!!!!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I use Bio Magic in both tanks & never had any black bits since I started using it. :thumb::thumb:

I used it my RV too Dazzer .... didn't stop me opening the valve with a certain ammount of trepidation, having heard of some members experience. :Eeek:

The best thing about the RV tanks are their size, don't think we ever got close to filling them. :whatthe:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User

I made up a spray bottle of the diluted pink stuff ... after a couple of weeks it wouldn't work 'cos of the black particles! I read somewhere that Thetford were aware of the problem and had fixed it... right!

it took a while but flushing out the holding tank got rid of the black bits... it's no longer a problem 'cos we only have a single tank which serves taps/loo flush and can't use the pink stuff. Flushing out the small spray bottle (use it to freshen up the bowl after flushing the loo) is no hassle

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i've always used the pink stuff but i dont know what all the fuss is about. i've never had a problem with black bits.:thumb:
does it stick to the bowl or what ?.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just tried Elsan Organic for the first time on an 11 day trip. It included a period of 4 days and a period of 2 days where we were on temporary (event) sites so needed to use all of our facilities.

We were very pleased with it, no problems in connection with break down of waste or emptying the cassette.

The only black bits we got occurred when the flush tank was almost empty and we think they were probably the residue from before using the organic stuff. We gave the flush tank (and the cassette for that matter) a good wash out with a hose before using the organic stuff but I reckon there would still be some of the black adhering to the inner surfaces out of sight and the organic stuff has probably released it.

It smells better than the chemical stuff as well.

We certainly intend using Elsan Organic from now on - still have some £2 off coupons in magazines to use before the end of August so will stock up on it.

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Simple.

Whatever kind of loo it is...Porta or cassette, take the entire thing out and give it a good blasting with a pressure washer. If the loo can't withstand that then it's no use anyway (i'll resist temptation to use some obvious puns!), and renew it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back